Golf Random Irritations

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The consultant I saw wanted to do the injections straight away. His view was that the exercises would take far too long to sort it out.

My GP injected my shoulder straight away, then sent for physio
But injection did nothing except offer pain relief for couple weeks
He will inject a 2nd time, from a different angle, but not for few more months yet

I had rotator cuff issue with the other shoulder few years back, the injection did the trick then though👍

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oh dear... incurring the wrath of Crow and Voyager here. Although 1990 is a bit too modern for them.
No, no, no. No wrath at all.
Golf has always been and will always be about becoming as good a golfer as you can be with the most suitable clubs you can find/afford.

Playing with older clubs as a second-string hobby is about the challenge, "What golfing skills do I possess to be able to put those skills into play for a reasonable or good game with clubs that were perfectly good and reasonable in their day."
It is also great fun to make pars and an occasional birdie with clubs that are 50 or 60 years old.
It has quite definitely helped me to add to, or possibly regain, some golfing skills that are transferable to when I play with 21st century clubs for all my handicap qualifying games.
I have likened it to athletes running at altitude or running with weights in this respect. Good training.
There's nothing to lose - give it a try.
Always willing to lend a set for game.

Last edited:

oleinone

Visit site
Disclaimer first: I'm far from a golf snob - I'll play golf with anyone, of all abilities. I definitely don't think I'm good at golf or too good for anyone else, far from it. However... there is one guy in my club who's so bad it makes me irrationally angry. :LOL:

His playing handicap is 46, and in the weekend medal yesterday he shot 151 for a nett score of 105. NETT ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE. The next worst score was nett 83 (101 less 18). I played with him once a while ago, and he's not disabled or anything - well not physically anyway. He's not exactly a beginner either, he has counting scores on his record back to 2020. When I played with him he just had no common sense at all - trying to play out of a ditch when he gets 3 shots on a hole - trying to hit fairway woods from thick rough with ball below feet and stuff like that. Rushing shots, taking a swipe and producing a couple of air shots. It's just staggering that anyone can be this bad having played for three years. It was drawn comp as well, so, I don't know who he played with but that's not really what you want in your group for a board comp is it??

It is still my belief that handicaps should be capped at 36 rather than 54 - I usually argue that anyone over 36 who becomes a club member and plays regularly would be able to play to 36 before very long. But this guy is proving me wrong big time. I'm not a big advocate for lessons, but Christ, this guy absolutely needs lessons if he's not having them already. Just a bit on course management would probably knock 15 shots off straight away.

I guess it's a testament to golf as a sport that he still enjoys it enough to turn up every week!
I think that you must have the patience of a saint to play with him. I'm a senior mid handicapper who takes his golf seriously and is never happier when fighting it out with like minded players. I don't like playing with somebody who languishes in " hackerdom" and shows no signs of wanting to work out a way to improve.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think that you must have the patience of a saint to play with him. I'm a senior mid handicapper who takes his golf seriously and is never happier when fighting it out with like minded players. I don't like playing with somebody who languishes in " hackerdom" and shows no signs of wanting to work out a way to improve.

I think there's a fine line between "inclusion " and someone being sufficiently capable to participate.

Bit like me wanting to play tight head prop! 😳😳😳😳

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
From handicap committee and long term member perspective what this does ignore is the players that have been members for absolutely ages who are now a lot older or in poor health that may once have been good players. I am thinking of one in particular that was once 5 handicap and was struggling with 28 before he died.
I suspect you're missing the point. The player has a handicap of 46 - which is fair enough. But even with that, he's still 30 odd shots outside of being anything like competitive.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The higher the handicap the more varied the scores tend to be. Was it just a bad day for him @Orikoru ?

We have a lot of high handicaps at our place and their scores can vary by 30 shots from one week to the next.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The higher the handicap the more varied the scores tend to be. Was it just a bad day for him @Orikoru ?

We have a lot of high handicaps at our place and their scores can vary by 30 shots from one week to the next.
No, he regularly appears at the bottom end of the competition leaderboards. This 151 was particularly bad though. 😂 Most of the counting rounds on his record seem to be general play cards entered at other courses. On our course his best is 49.6 differential. 😬

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, he regularly appears at the bottom end of the competition leaderboards. This 151 was particularly bad though. 😂 Most of the counting rounds on his record seem to be general play cards entered at other courses. On our course his best is 49.6 differential. 😬
😱

D

Deleted member 15344

Disclaimer first: I'm far from a golf snob - I'll play golf with anyone, of all abilities. I definitely don't think I'm good at golf or too good for anyone else, far from it. However... there is one guy in my club who's so bad it makes me irrationally angry. :LOL:

His playing handicap is 46, and in the weekend medal yesterday he shot 151 for a nett score of 105. NETT ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE. The next worst score was nett 83 (101 less 18). I played with him once a while ago, and he's not disabled or anything - well not physically anyway. He's not exactly a beginner either, he has counting scores on his record back to 2020. When I played with him he just had no common sense at all - trying to play out of a ditch when he gets 3 shots on a hole - trying to hit fairway woods from thick rough with ball below feet and stuff like that. Rushing shots, taking a swipe and producing a couple of air shots. It's just staggering that anyone can be this bad having played for three years. It was drawn comp as well, so, I don't know who he played with but that's not really what you want in your group for a board comp is it??

It is still my belief that handicaps should be capped at 36 rather than 54 - I usually argue that anyone over 36 who becomes a club member and plays regularly would be able to play to 36 before very long. But this guy is proving me wrong big time. I'm not a big advocate for lessons, but Christ, this guy absolutely needs lessons if he's not having them already. Just a bit on course management would probably knock 15 shots off straight away.

I guess it's a testament to golf as a sport that he still enjoys it enough to turn up every week!
Did you speak to see if there were any circumstances that affected him

Now I know a member of the club who has played with the person - name starts with C

The guy has had brain tumours and multiple operations that has affected him

He plays purely because his wife plays and is trying to get better by having lessons

He plays in a swindle regularly with a friend and I have met him

He is just enjoying his time

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you speak to see if there were any circumstances that affected him

Now I know a member of the club who has played with the person - name starts with C

The guy has had brain tumours and multiple operations that has affected him

He plays purely because his wife plays and is trying to get better by having lessons

He plays in a swindle regularly with a friend and I have met him

He is just enjoying his time
Have chatted to one or two who know him and nobody has mentioned this. That is fair enough though, thanks for the info. As I said - great that this sport can be enjoyed by so many irrespective of score eh?

👍🏻

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have chatted to one or two who know him and nobody has mentioned this. That is fair enough though, thanks for the info. As I said - great that this sport can be enjoyed by so many irrespective of score eh?

👍🏻

I am reminded of one of my mates (who sadly died recently) he absolutely loved playing the game but was rubbish at it. It was the only thing left in his life that he did and played nearly every day. I had persuaded him to stop playing in handicap medals after seeing a 20 on one hole but when he played Stablefords he would always pick up when he could not score.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always find it hard to play with playing partners and who don’t understand course management. You just have to stand there and watch them repeatedly punch themselves in the face for 18 holes.

One of my mates is a 13 handicap and it’s like he doesn’t understand handicaps or that you can think your way round a golf course, if you watched his shot selections you’d probably think he’s trying to shoot a 59. Takes on every flag, takes on all the risk/reward shots, hits too much club off of most tees.
A friend of mine is like that. If he hits his drive into thick rough, his thought is always "I have to make up the distance lost on my drive by hitting the longest club possibly" on his next shot, so he will regularly pull out 5 wood for a lie that is a 7 iron lie at best.
He'll then chunk it and say that he knew he should have taken 7 iron 🤦‍♂️

sjw

Visit site
A friend of mine is like that. If he hits his drive into thick rough, his thought is always "I have to make up the distance lost on my drive by hitting the longest club possibly" on his next shot, so he will regularly pull out 5 wood for a lie that is a 7 iron lie at best.
He'll then chunk it and say that he knew he should have taken 7 iron 🤦‍♂️
I'm a little bit guilty of that; I reckon I try and muscle a shot that I shouldn't go for once or twice a round. Hit a drive shorter than normal on a par four, what I should do is try and get on for three and down for four - instead I still try and get on for two and waste a shot.

I find it very difficult to play to spots on the fairway rather than the green. Probably not helped by having a GPS watch that puts the green distance front and centre. Must get better at managing things like that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a little bit guilty of that; I reckon I try and muscle a shot that I shouldn't go for once or twice a round. Hit a drive shorter than normal on a par four, what I should do is try and get on for three and down for four - instead I still try and get on for two and waste a shot.

I find it very difficult to play to spots on the fairway rather than the green. Probably not helped by having a GPS watch that puts the green distance front and centre. Must get better at managing things like that.
Course management for me is about assessing each shot as it comes. The shot before or how many you've had is largely irrelevant, you just have to play what's in front of you. Assess what club you can actually hit out of the lie you've got - what line you can hit on - then play the best case scenario that has a high chance of actually being successful.

Even on the fairway I don't always hit 5 wood if I know I can't reach the green with it anyway - I'll happily hit 7 wood as I know it's nice and easy to hit and being 15-20 yards shorter of the green isn't a problem. Especially if it eliminates the danger of reaching or bunker, or a slice into a bush.