Golf Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone should tell these PGA Tour pro,s that it’s ok to smile once in a while. Other than a hole in one or holing out from over 100 yards they rarely smile or laugh. At least Tiger would show some emotion which is one reason non golfers found interest in our sport.
It seems to be “game face“ or look of disappointment most of the time.
You're using Tiger as an example? Never has a golfer been more detached, had a straighter game face, than Tiger. His lack of involvement with crowds, his inability to smile, was one of the reasons I was never able to warm to him.

Best golfer for smiles now is Viktor Hovland. He looks genuinely happy to be out there, happy to laugh and have fun. He's great to watch.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have quite a large putting green next to the 10th tee.
We also have a couple of pretty old warm-up nets at the side of the car park
There are moves to extend the car park and as a result 3 new nets have been built beyond the putting green
An old tee box has been re-turfed to be used as a chipping area.
The green now has a small fence approximately halfway down the green separating the putting area from the chipping area.
The chipping area has bigger flagsticks too..
The idea is to create an all in one warm-up area.
Yesterday I saw 2 people putting on the chipping are and 3 people chipping on the putting area.....
Speechless....
It's not that hard is it..?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are moves to extend the car park and as a result 3 new nets have been built beyond the putting green
The green now has a small fence approximately halfway down the green separating the putting area from the chipping area.
Yesterday I saw 2 people putting on the chipping are and 3 people chipping on the putting area.....
Speechless....

that reminds me of something that happens frequently where I play.
We have 2 signs left an right of the practice green that say no chipping from this end. I have had to have words with lots of players telling them to read the notices. What is even more irritating is walking back in to the lounge and to see them there again once they think I have gone out of sight.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
that reminds me of something that happens frequently where I play.
We have 2 signs left an right of the practice green that say no chipping from this end. I have had to have words with lots of players telling them to read the notices. What is even more irritating is walking back in to the lounge and to see them there again once they think I have gone out of sight.
We have a situation where signs ban buggies from being driven from the car park to the first tee via the rear of the 18th green. Players are meant to use the proper path. Long standing members, committee members and others regularly flaunt the instruction.
Very irritating.

Red devil

Visit site
Speechless....
For some, mainly the hard of thinking, yes!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disclaimer first: I'm far from a golf snob - I'll play golf with anyone, of all abilities. I definitely don't think I'm good at golf or too good for anyone else, far from it. However... there is one guy in my club who's so bad it makes me irrationally angry. :LOL:

His playing handicap is 46, and in the weekend medal yesterday he shot 151 for a nett score of 105. NETT ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE. The next worst score was nett 83 (101 less 18). I played with him once a while ago, and he's not disabled or anything - well not physically anyway. He's not exactly a beginner either, he has counting scores on his record back to 2020. When I played with him he just had no common sense at all - trying to play out of a ditch when he gets 3 shots on a hole - trying to hit fairway woods from thick rough with ball below feet and stuff like that. Rushing shots, taking a swipe and producing a couple of air shots. It's just staggering that anyone can be this bad having played for three years. It was drawn comp as well, so, I don't know who he played with but that's not really what you want in your group for a board comp is it??

It is still my belief that handicaps should be capped at 36 rather than 54 - I usually argue that anyone over 36 who becomes a club member and plays regularly would be able to play to 36 before very long. But this guy is proving me wrong big time. I'm not a big advocate for lessons, but Christ, this guy absolutely needs lessons if he's not having them already. Just a bit on course management would probably knock 15 shots off straight away.

I guess it's a testament to golf as a sport that he still enjoys it enough to turn up every week!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Disclaimer first: I'm far from a golf snob - I'll play golf with anyone, of all abilities. I definitely don't think I'm good at golf or too good for anyone else, far from it. However... there is one guy in my club who's so bad it makes me irrationally angry. :LOL:

His playing handicap is 46, and in the weekend medal yesterday he shot 151 for a nett score of 105. NETT ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE. The next worst score was nett 83 (101 less 18). I played with him once a while ago, and he's not disabled or anything - well not physically anyway. He's not exactly a beginner either, he has counting scores on his record back to 2020. When I played with him he just had no common sense at all - trying to play out of a ditch when he gets 3 shots on a hole - trying to hit fairway woods from thick rough with ball below feet and stuff like that. Rushing shots, taking a swipe and producing a couple of air shots. It's just staggering that anyone can be this bad having played for three years. It was drawn comp as well, so, I don't know who he played with but that's not really what you want in your group for a board comp is it??

It is still my belief that handicaps should be capped at 36 rather than 54 - I usually argue that anyone over 36 who becomes a club member and plays regularly would be able to play to 36 before very long. But this guy is proving me wrong big time. I'm not a big advocate for lessons, but Christ, this guy absolutely needs lessons if he's not having them already. Just a bit on course management would probably knock 15 shots off straight away.

I guess it's a testament to golf as a sport that he still enjoys it enough to turn up every week!
And some people on here get annoyed when they shoot 2-3 shots over their handicap - this guy must be one chilled bloke to not seem to care :ROFLMAO:

sjw

Visit site

I don't think your anger is irrational at all, that would drive me absolutely mental!

Visit site

I always find it hard to play with playing partners and who don’t understand course management. You just have to stand there and watch them repeatedly punch themselves in the face for 18 holes.

One of my mates is a 13 handicap and it’s like he doesn’t understand handicaps or that you can think your way round a golf course, if you watched his shot selections you’d probably think he’s trying to shoot a 59. Takes on every flag, takes on all the risk/reward shots, hits too much club off of most tees.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

He needs three chaps to invite to join in a 3 club 6-PW-putter game. He'll probably have his lowest score of the year.
It might change his thoughts.

Teebs

Visit site
Club members who play in competitive matches all year (board comps, medals, matchplay etc) who still use clubs from 1990 that they hit terribly.

I'm not saying a new set wouldn't make them into Rory, but it would certainly help.

My old man was like this, played 3xweek, every week and used a set of Cobra irons that were too long and a mis-match of woods that did him no favours at all and wedges that were either too high or too low bounce and loft for what he required.

If you're that invested in spending 15 to 20 hours a week playing competitively, spend a little cash to ensure you maximise your ability.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Club members who play in competitive matches all year (board comps, medals, matchplay etc) who still use clubs from 1990 that they hit terribly.

I'm not saying a new set wouldn't make them into Rory, but it would certainly help.

My old man was like this, played 3xweek, every week and used a set of Cobra irons that were too long and a mis-match of woods that did him no favours at all and wedges that were either too high or too low bounce and loft for what he required.

If you're that invested in spending 15 to 20 hours a week playing competitively, spend a little cash to ensure you maximise your ability.
Oh dear... incurring the wrath of Crow and Voyager here. Although 1990 is a bit too modern for them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

From handicap committee and long term member perspective what this does ignore is the players that have been members for absolutely ages who are now a lot older or in poor health that may once have been good players. I am thinking of one in particular that was once 5 handicap and was struggling with 28 before he died.