Golf Random Irritations

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
50 or so years ago, some pros who had their own workshops, would get hold of a full set 1-SW, but leave out the 7-iron.
Adjusted the 6 and the 8 a bit and then could carry three woods.
They found that no other club out of the 15 could be so easily compensated for.
(A friend told me this)

I'd leave out the 1 iron. Ha

I'd find it easier to deloft a 2 iron a bit than hammer an 8 or feather a 6.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Messing about yesterday as it was really windy I teed the ball extremely low for my driver, absolutely smoked it almost as far as my normal drives. It was on the 18th hole though so I couldn’t try it again 🤦🏻

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Messing about yesterday as it was really windy I teed the ball extremely low for my driver, absolutely smoked it almost as far as my normal drives. It was on the 18th hole though so I couldn’t try it again 🤦🏻
I've been fed up with the wind this year, with my usual fade, if it's into the wind or left-to-right I'm absolutely dead. I've been using a lower tee as well to pretty good effect - I switch from pink to white castle which is one lower if it's one of the winds I've just described. I can't avoid losing a bit of distance, but it does stop me losing it 20 yards right of the fairway. The damage is reduced quite a lot and keeps me in play.

sjw

Visit site
Got my first signed card yesterday. Generally played well, and shot, I think, my second best ever round, but my driver let me down big time. The irritation is that up until yesterday my driver has been the best part of my game, but yesterday I was pushing everything out to the right. Which is also annoying, because my miss generally has been left!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've been fed up with the wind this year, with my usual fade, if it's into the wind or left-to-right I'm absolutely dead. I've been using a lower tee as well to pretty good effect - I switch from pink to white castle which is one lower if it's one of the winds I've just described. I can't avoid losing a bit of distance, but it does stop me losing it 20 yards right of the fairway. The damage is reduced quite a lot and keeps me in play.

Yeah I've often seen the lower tee into the wind being recommended but don't really try it myself... and maybe dodgy info I've picked up but I thought a lower tee for driver would promote a fade ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I've often seen the lower tee into the wind being recommended but don't really try it myself... and maybe dodgy info I've picked up but I thought a lower tee for driver would promote a fade ?

I didn’t know what to expect I was just farting about, not sure how but I hit a really nice baby draw that seemed to penetrate the wind really well. For the record I generally never hit draws, hooks yes but not draws lol.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I fade it anyway - and when I'm teeing it lower I probably put it a ball's width further back in my stance as well since I can't hit up on it as much. So that may guard against any additional fade.

sjw

Visit site
I know that the live coverage on Sky the other week said that someone - I think it was Max Homa - teed it up extra low as an "anti-left" measure, so there might be some truth, or at least accepted wisdom, in it.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe it - on a driver swing, the toe is higher than the heel at impact, so I think if you tee it lower you're forced to hit it out of the heel more. That's what I'd assume, anyway.

D

Deleted member 29109

I know that the live coverage on Sky the other week said that someone - I think it was Max Homa - teed it up extra low as an "anti-left" measure, so there might be some truth, or at least accepted wisdom, in it.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe it - on a driver swing, the toe is higher than the heel at impact, so I think if you tee it lower you're forced to hit it out of the heel more. That's what I'd assume, anyway.
I use a low tee ‘punched’ driver as a fairway finder.

Managed to snap hook two of them yesterday. But I did have a starting left, going further left swing with me yesterday.

It’s something worth experimenting with, but it can lead to a steeper swing so don’t be surprised if you top a few or just smash it straight into the ground 6” in front of where you had it teed up.

sjw

Visit site
I use a low tee ‘punched’ driver as a fairway finder.

Managed to snap hook two of them yesterday. But I did have a starting left, going further left swing with me yesterday.

It’s something worth experimenting with, but it can lead to a steeper swing so don’t be surprised if you top a few or just smash it straight into the ground 6” in front of where you had it teed up.
Yeah, when I've tried something like this, I generally forget that I'm going to need to put it a bit further back in my stance to compensate, and I swing over the top of it and bounce it off the ground in front of me.

D

Deleted member 1147

The risk with teeing the ball down into the wind is that you'll put too much spin on the ball, by virtue of hitting down on the ball. This addn'l spin will shorten the drive.
With modern ball & club you'll be better off teeing it high and putting a smooth swing on it. Low spin into the wind is all important.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I bought a Cobra Baffler 16° hybrid in 2010 for £25. Off the club pro.
End of 2021 I paid £14 for the matching 20° one. Collected in Loughborough.

I had my eye (the good one) on a matching pair (and matching mine) of 23° and 26° at a starting price of £20 plus postage.
Still no bids this morning and 3 days to go.

Someone today offered a buy-it-now of £55 plus postage.
Scuppered.

Good news, I suppose, that my clubs are going up in value, though.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought a Cobra Baffler 16° hybrid in 2010 for £25. Off the club pro.
End of 2021 I paid £14 for the matching 20° one. Collected in Loughborough.

I had my eye (the good one) on a matching pair (and matching mine) of 23° and 26° at a starting price of £20 plus postage.
Still no bids this morning and 3 days to go.

Someone today offered a buy-it-now of £55 plus postage.
Scuppered.

Good news, I suppose, that my clubs are going up in value, though.
It used to work on items with a BIN option that if a bid was placed the BIN option disappeared, so if it’s still the same, rather than keep an eye on an item enter a bid at the opening amount, then keep an eye on it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It used to work on items with a BIN option that if a bid was placed the BIN option disappeared, so if it’s still the same, rather than keep an eye on an item enter a bid at the opening amount, then keep an eye on it.
I have found that an early bid attracts other bids and up goes the price.
I am on the lookout for rock bottom prices and have had more success in this respect by lurking.
I was surprised this time that someone was prepared to pay just over £30 each including postage for 20-year-old hybrids without doing what you suggested to get them cheaper.
But if he was prepared to pay that much towards the end of the auction, they were never going to be mine. I was wanting to get them at less than half that price.
Not desperate for them, anyway. It was just that they matched the two stronger lofted that I have already.

D

Deleted member 29109

Lots of reports of 5 hour rounds at my place on Saturday for captains day raises a few irritations.

The club’s insistence on playing in 4 balls rather than 3s for big comps like this. Don’t know why, but it slows pace of play down massively. Especially given how difficult the course is playing at the minute and how windy it is.

Very few people at my place seem to want to let faster groups through, even when they have dropped off the group in front.

The comp was a stableford, yet there was a lot of high gross scores recorded. Lots of 9s 10, and 11s. Even a 16 on our 9th.

Madness

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lots of reports of 5 hour rounds at my place on Saturday for captains day raises a few irritations.

The club’s insistence on playing in 4 balls rather than 3s for big comps like this. Don’t know why, but it slows pace of play down massively. Especially given how difficult the course is playing at the minute and how windy it is.

Very few people at my place seem to want to let faster groups through, even when they have dropped off the group in front.

The comp was a stableford, yet there was a lot of high gross scores recorded. Lots of 9s 10, and 11s. Even a 16 on our 9th.

Madness
I never know why people do this. When I'm playing in a Stableford I welcome the chance to pick it up on a car crash hole. Why would you want to slave away to put down a 12 or whatever?? 😆

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A bit of both..irritation and a touch of glee...
We recently had gets installed. We had an incident where a catalytic converter was stolen from a car in the car park in Broad daylight....
They've been up for a few months now, the installers had a bit of trouble getting the gates to talk to the club software so it could read our cards but, yesterday, it went live...
I was the first to use them...gotmin no problem with a waft of the card....it took a couple of goes to get out but it did work.
After that the Clubhouse Manager got fed up with 30 or 40 intercom calls to say they were swiping their card but the gates wouldn't open...so he switched it back to automatic opening.
Less than 8 hours before they broke........quality...:mad::ROFLMAO:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A bit of both..irritation and a touch of glee...
We recently had gets installed. We had an incident where a catalytic converter was stolen from a car in the car park in Broad daylight....
They've been up for a few months now, the installers had a bit of trouble getting the gates to talk to the club software so it could read our cards but, yesterday, it went live...
I was the first to use them...gotmin no problem with a waft of the card....it took a couple of goes to get out but it did work.
After that the Clubhouse Manager got fed up with 30 or 40 intercom calls to say they were swiping their card but the gates wouldn't open...so he switched it back to automatic opening.
Less than 8 hours before they broke........quality...:mad::ROFLMAO:

Do you have to wait for the 360 degree fence to go up for the rest of the property now :p

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Large group of us playing at away course tomorrow and I'm expecting the usual irritation at that particular club... if you have a group of 60-70 players booked then please have 70 towels in the locker-room 😞

(its a great course/venue other than that)