Golf Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s a rigg? The only dictionary definition I can find is a type of shark and I assume they aren’t to be found on your fairways.
A big ripple, up to around 1ft high, approx. Farmers used to use them to create more land to farm. They then build golf courses on this land and the riggs or ripples remain. There are a few courses up here that have them. Apparently some have tried to fill them in but it doesn't seem to work so they just leave them now.

Think corrugated roof but stretched up and out and its grass :unsure: 😄

D-S

Visit site
A big ripple, up to around 1ft high, approx. Farmers used to use them to create more land to farm. They then build golf courses on this land and the riggs or ripples remain. There are a few courses up here that have them. Apparently some have tried to fill them in but it doesn't seem to work so they just leave them now.

Thanks - every day is a school day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks - every day is a school day.
I'd never heard or seen them until I joined a club that had them. Irritating blighters to be honest. You can hit a shot up the middle and then end up on an up slope or down slope, putting you off your next shot. You sometimes can't see your ball until you are on top of it, if you are at the base. Some can also be a bit soggy as rainwater drains into them. Basically, if you were designing a course, you would not build them in.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was about to say the same. Finally getting some sun and the course should be drying out and the greens are being hollow tined. Already had an email saying the Medal tomorrow has been cancelled.

Played this morning. Between the coring and the new paths which are being put in, the place looks like a building site.

About half the holes have temp greens which are basically a flag in the fairway with no attempt to cut the grass. The main greens which are in play haven't had the holes filled with sand yet, so it's a total lottery putting on them.

Ironically the lads I was playing with reckoned the greens were the best they have been in months last weekend.

There is a large society visiting today, god knows what they will make of it. i just hope someone got in touch with them beforehand to set their expectations and offer a discount.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Our course is full of them and, like someone else has said, it's bloody annoying being in one when you've hit a great drive down the middle.

One of our par 5s has them and they basically stop you from being able to go for the green in two as you end up 3 wood distance away but unable to actually hit that club.

Our club have just invested in a new mower which should mean that they're able to get into them much better. Previously there was about an inch difference in the grass length between the top and bottom of them.

I once asked the greenkeeper why they couldn't just fill them in and he said it would take about 2 years of filling, settling, refilling, seeding etc and that the holes would be out of play for the entirety. Might as well shut the course!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Our course is full of them and, like someone else has said, it's bloody annoying being in one when you've hit a great drive down the middle.

One of our par 5s has them and they basically stop you from being able to go for the green in two as you end up 3 wood distance away but unable to actually hit that club.

Our club have just invested in a new mower which should mean that they're able to get into them much better. Previously there was about an inch difference in the grass length between the top and bottom of them.

I once asked the greenkeeper why they couldn't just fill them in and he said it would take about 2 years of filling, settling, refilling, seeding etc and that the holes would be out of play for the entirety. Might as well shut the course!
If only all courses had been forced to close recently 🤔

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't need to be good enough to go on tour, I don't even need to be fancied to place at club champs... but is it asking too much to be able to hit the ball with a basic similarity from one day to the next 🤬

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to go with a pre irritation

I had a lesson yesterday , it went brilliant. We have been working on face more closed at address but because of the work I've put in we can now take it back it but.. more neutral

Was flying beautiful

Now today I play you can bet I won't hit a single shot like that

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I’d be buying my mates a drink but don’t see why I should be putting a very expensive bottle of cheap bells whisky on the bed of the bar. Especially when nearly everyone drives to and from the club.

A nip of that in a glass of Coke is pleasant without getting anyone near a dd limit!😁 In fact that's what happened on Saturday

More irritating is trying to suss who a deleted member is/was😉

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Seeing empty beer cans/bottles in the copses when there’s plenty of bins on the course and outside the clubhouse.

Does my head in this. Remember playing Bolton Old Links this summer and someone had left an empty beer bottle on the 12th tee. Why?! You've managed to transport the bottle this far already - surely you could have poured out the dregs and put it back in your bag?!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A nip of that in a glass of Coke is pleasant without getting anyone near a dd limit!😁 In fact that's what happened on Saturday

More irritating is trying to suss who a deleted member is/was😉

I'm thinking that maybe it was Fish, for those that remember him.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'd never heard or seen them until I joined a club that had them. Irritating blighters to be honest. You can hit a shot up the middle and then end up on an up slope or down slope, putting you off your next shot. You sometimes can't see your ball until you are on top of it, if you are at the base. Some can also be a bit soggy as rainwater drains into them. Basically, if you were designing a course, you would not build them in.
Castle Eden has them, I never understood why until today.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't need to be good enough to go on tour, I don't even need to be fancied to place at club champs... but is it asking too much to be able to hit the ball with a basic similarity from one day to the next 🤬

Hit another bucket this morning and much more like my expectations. Problem (I think) was swing tempo. Felt much better today

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking that maybe it was Fish, for those that remember him.
I think his account still exists, but 'Blackballed'. That might have changed though.

Off-topic slightly but it is very weird that there's no consistency with what happens to deleted accounts' usernames on here. Some say 'Deleted Member ###' some say 'User##' or something like that, and I'm sure there's other versions too.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think his account still exists, but 'Blackballed'. That might have changed though.

Off-topic slightly but it is very weird that there's no consistency with what happens to deleted accounts' usernames on here. Some say 'Deleted Member ###' some say 'User##' or something like that, and I'm sure there's other versions too.
I think it depends on which version of the forum they were deleted on....on version 4 now I think....could be 5..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Went round to the short game practice area this morning and someone had been doing some kind of ‘lob’ shot (with divots!) from the fringe, barely 2ft off the green, with the divots left where they landed on the green
I mean it’s a huge area for short game practice and zero need to do that kind of shot from there

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why am I only just realising that when you play a long/difficult par 4 as a par 5 in your head... You should be happy enough with a 6