Golf Random Irritations

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm talking the leather down to the laces my friend! :ROFLMAO:

Never go to American golf for a fitting, their shoe fitters arent great. Find yourself a good pro with experience in fitting ;)

can you take the pro's recommendation and look for the same shoes online to save a few quid?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm talking the leather down to the laces my friend! :ROFLMAO:

Never go to American golf for a fitting, their shoe fitters arent great. Find yourself a good pro with experience in fitting ;)
Our pro organised for a FootJoy fitter to come to the club. He brought a huge selection of shoes plus a very fancy foot scanner device to measure all aspects of our feet. Turns out that I should be wearing Wide or Extra Wide, and as I have not thought about that in the past I’ve stuck with the shoe size 9.5 - sometimes a 10 - the size I’ve bought for all of my adult life.

Thing is…when in the past I tried wide fitting with 9.5 they were too big…and that’s because they were - the larger shoe size gave me the width my feet needed, but they were actually too big and too much play in the shoe material - but it’s what I was used to. FJ guy tells me I am actually 8 to 8.5 wide or extra wide. And so I have a pair of 8 XW. They feel and fit great - and obviously a lot snugger than my 9.5. They just need breaking in - well I hope thats all that’s required.

Who’d have thunk it…I always thought my shoes looked big for me. 🤔 They were.

sjw

Visit site
can you take the pro's recommendation and look for the same shoes online to save a few quid?
Yeah you can get your specs from AG or similar and then have a look online on SoleBidder for a second hand pair. Big savings to be had if you buy a few years old and the technology hasn't moved on that much,

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our pro organised for a FootJoy fitter to come to the club. He brought a huge selection of shoes plus a very fancy foot scanner device to measure all aspects of our feet. Turns out that I should be wearing Wide or Extra Wide, and as I have not thought about that in the past I’ve stuck with the shoe size 9.5 - sometimes a 10 - the size I’ve bought for all of my adult life.

Thing is…when in the past I tried wide fitting with 9.5 they were too big…and that’s because they were - the larger shoe size gave me the width my feet needed, but they were actually too big and too much play in the shoe material - but it’s what I was used to. FJ guy tells me I am actually 8 to 8.5 wide or extra wide. And so I have a pair of 8 XW. They feel and fit great - and obviously a lot snugger than my 9.5. They just need breaking in - well I hope thats all that’s required.

I'm the same. I have wide feet and to compensate for narrow shoes I've worn 9-9.5 shoes for most of my adult life. I now know that 8.5 wide fitting is my size. I have quite a bit of difficulty in getting shoes that fit well but at least now I'm armed with the correct knowledge and if they don't fit well in the shop, I leave them. Knowledge is power as they say. It can also mean comfort 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

All that positive talk and yet they gave you blisters! Maybe should have just gone with size 9!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
This reminds me of my random irritation. Got a pair of Adidas xt360, in 10.5 (my usual size) and initial impressions were that they were the comfiest things I'd ever put on my feet.

However, I'm now about 5 rounds in with them and they absolutely tear the back of my right heel to pieces. Big blisters every time.

I've always worn Adidas, be it trainers, rugby boots, running shoes and even mountain bike shoes and I've never had this issue - even from new.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do - how long does it normally take to break a pair of golf shoes in?!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
With modern materials do shoes need breaking in?
None of mine in the last X number of years have required it...

The only think I can think of is that they're full leather as opposed to the usual man-made materials on my other shoes (trainers excepted).

God knows, I'm just hoping I've not wasted my money.

D

Deleted member 15344

Always have to wear in any Footjoy shoe - wear a blister plaster for a couple of rounds and then it’s fine

I’m always a half size smaller in FJ compared to adidas

Some people do have issues with the backs of Adidas shoes going quickly

For me now FJ Premier or Pro SL are the only shoes I’ll get - I just have a few too many of them 😂

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
This reminds me of my random irritation. Got a pair of Adidas xt360, in 10.5 (my usual size) and initial impressions were that they were the comfiest things I'd ever put on my feet.

However, I'm now about 5 rounds in with them and they absolutely tear the back of my right heel to pieces. Big blisters every time.

I've always worn Adidas, be it trainers, rugby boots, running shoes and even mountain bike shoes and I've never had this issue - even from new.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do - how long does it normally take to break a pair of golf shoes in?!

I have five pairs of Adidas golf shoes, none of which needed wearing in.
They were supremely comfortable straight from the box.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I have five pairs of Adidas golf shoes, none of which needed wearing in.
They were supremely comfortable straight from the box.

The other two pairs I have (both Stan Smith golf shoes) were exactly the same.

I think I'll just wear them whenever I'm just playing 9 holes or so (before they get painful) and hope they break in before the summer. 🤞

Mandofred

Visit site
The other two pairs I have (both Stan Smith golf shoes) were exactly the same.

I think I'll just wear them whenever I'm just playing 9 holes or so (before they get painful) and hope they break in before the summer. 🤞
I still have an old pair of 360's from maybe 5 years ago.....stopped wearing them. They were bulletproof, kept water etc out, but just never comfortable. I had a little trouble at the beginning with the heel, I just use a strip of athletic tape and put it on my heel and then the sock over that. After maybe 5 rounds the heel of the shoe should have adjusted to the shape of my foot by then.

sjw

Visit site

Loosen the right shoe ever so slightly, i.e. put your foot in the shoe, slacken the laces right off, get your foot comfortable and then tighten around them (not too much). I had this issue recently with a pair of leather shoes (not golf ones) and I was gutted because I'd worn them in the house and they were super comfortable, but when I wore them outside for a day they left my right heel completely cut up. It's worth a shot.

sunshine

Visit site
Hold up, are we supposed to go for shoe fittings as well now? I can't keep up.

This will be ground breaking for you: shoes come in different sizes!
I now have an image of you just picking up the first pair of shoes on the shelf and walking around with shoes 3 sizes too big for you 😂