Golf Random Irritations

Jason.H

Visit site
If another 15 handicapper tells me he’s as good as a scratch golfer in the short game because his stats say so. Seriously stop forgetting to register every shot on and around the greens.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If another 15 handicapper tells me he’s as good as a scratch golfer in the short game because his stats say so. Seriously stop forgetting to register every shot on and around the greens.

That's a new one on me....maybe I've been lucky.

Although I was getting plenty of advice from one of my mates on Saturday. I signed for a gross score at least 20 shots fewer than his;)

Jason.H

Visit site
I've not met any 15 handicappers who think they have a pros short game!

The guy I played with today ( 15 handicapper) was telling me about his golf app he has been using for a month or so. He told me about his strokes gained over scratch golfers in the short game and I started laughing and said his short game is nowhere near as good as a scratch golfer . He then pulled his phone out his bag and loaded the app to show me.
Clearly he can’t be recording all his shots around the green and for putting ect.

sunshine

Visit site
Normally do but they were caked. Can't believe the course was open and on full greens. Absolute mud bath out there

Where are you playing that is a mud bath?

We’ve just had the driest February for 30 years in the UK. Southern England only received 16% of the average rainfall for the month. My clay based parkland course hasn’t been squelchy at all.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ours is a clarty mess.
Greens are pretty good however.
I won't be at all surprised if it is closed later this week given the forecast. Thursday, Friday and Saturday look grim.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Played Saturday morning here in Harrogate....the claggiest mud I've seen all year. Everybody playing in the swindle had the same issue. So much mud on the trolley wheels that everybody was spending time scrapping it off.....every few minutes. Mud stuck on shoes and building up.....really irritating. Just the perfect conditions for sticky mud.

I'm still iffy on playing this morning.....rain supposedly coming around noon, although why the weather sites can't agree what is going to happen still makes me wonder how they make their predictions. If I don't play today though.....I doubt I will play at all this week.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played Saturday morning here in Harrogate....the claggiest mud I've seen all year. Everybody playing in the swindle had the same issue. So much mud on the trolley wheels that everybody was spending time scrapping it off.....every few minutes. Mud stuck on shoes and building up.....really irritating. Just the perfect conditions for sticky mud.

I'm still iffy on playing this morning.....rain supposedly coming around noon, although why the weather sites can't agree what is going to happen still makes me wonder how they make their predictions. If I don't play today though.....I doubt I will play at all this week.

Our place is awful at the moment, the worst I've seen it in the 7 years I've been there. I've seen it a lot wetter, but the mud this year is dreadful. I did laugh when they said on TV it was the driest February in 30 years, but I've since heard a theory that the ground was so hard a few inches under the surface that any rain couldn't get through it, and turned to mud instead.

Walking the dogs this weekend, all the fields are the same, so there may be some merit in that theory.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

We’ve just had the driest February for 30 years in the UK. Southern England only received 16% of the average rainfall for the month. My clay based parkland course hasn’t been squelchy at all.
I was thinking the same, on Saturday I was getting plenty of bounce and roll on drives and the greens were rapid. Felt like late Spring!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Our place is awful at the moment, the worst I've seen it in the 7 years I've been there. I've seen it a lot wetter, but the mud this year is dreadful. I did laugh when they said on TV it was the driest February in 30 years, but I've since heard a theory that the ground was so hard a few inches under the surface that any rain couldn't get through it, and turned to mud instead.

Walking the dogs this weekend, all the fields are the same, so there may be some merit in that theory.

Ours is the opposite, fairways in as a good a nick as proper spring, probably better since we're on winter rules so there are no divots.

Annoyingly the muddiest bit of our course is the walk off the 18th to the clubhouse due to traffic from it being a roped off walkway. So despite the trolley wheels and shoes being spotless all round they do need a quick blast with the compressor due to the last 60 yards or so 🤣.

Teebs

Visit site

North Yorkshire. In fairness, that comment was from Thursday last week - played Saturday and it was fine. Still a little muddy but the greens were brilliant for this time of the year (Malton & Norton GC)