Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was window shopping online at the weekend to pick a new garmin, intended to 'pull the trigger' today and seems all three retailers have coincidently put it up £20 at the same time!

sjw

Visit site
My inability to hit a wedge in a straight line - I’m getting this big fade for some reason.

I was fading my wedges the other day at the range. I put it down to the wind.

That was until I noticed all the flags on the range blowing strongly in the other direction. After that, I was pretty impressed.

Mandofred

Visit site
Having the urge to switch clubs again. Always looking for the perfect course.....which isn't possible around here. Our course has been shut since before the snow....still closed. Other courses are open....but it is pretty soggy out there still. Evidently Flaxby handled the water pretty well when it was still open.

Dodgy back the last couple of months as well. Lower back stiffness....really gets to me the last 9 holes. Tried a chiropractor/massage fellow....nope. Doing more stomach work/stretching/strengthening core.....might have to try doing a lot of that to see what happens. Tried a couple of my wife's codeine pills (with ibuprofen+paracetamol) a couple of weeks ago.....magic. Ibu+par don't do anything.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Having the urge to switch clubs again. Always looking for the perfect course.....which isn't possible around here. Our course has been shut since before the snow....still closed. Other courses are open....but it is pretty soggy out there still. Evidently Flaxby handled the water pretty well when it was still open.

Dodgy back the last couple of months as well. Lower back stiffness....really gets to me the last 9 holes. Tried a chiropractor/massage fellow....nope. Doing more stomach work/stretching/strengthening core.....might have to try doing a lot of that to see what happens. Tried a couple of my wife's codeine pills (with ibuprofen+paracetamol) a couple of weeks ago.....magic. Ibu+par don't do anything.

I use Voltaren for my lower back pain, think it might be called Voltarol in UK

sunshine

Visit site

Try a physio instead of chiropractor. One that is used to dealing with sports injuries will probably be able to give you a programme of exercises.

Mandofred

Visit site
I use Voltaren for my lower back pain, think it might be called Voltarol in UK
Had to look that up....I think I've used it in the past....then I saw the ingredient Diclofenac.... definitely used that in the past with no effect. But I might just get hold of some to try again....it's been quite a while....worth the try.

I had 2 bulging discs 12 years ago.....just caused pain, didn't stop me from doing anything. They relapsed (I think) over the years.....I can still pick things up etc and it doesn't bother my back (I do work on the local trails shoveling etc....no issue). It just really gets uncomfortable after being on my feet for a couple of hours. At times on the course it probably looks like I'm drunk and dancing to funky music or something.....trying to keep the muscles from getting stiff.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had to look that up....I think I've used it in the past....then I saw the ingredient Diclofenac.... definitely used that in the past with no effect. But I might just get hold of some to try again....it's been quite a while....worth the try.

I had 2 bulging discs 12 years ago.....just caused pain, didn't stop me from doing anything. They relapsed (I think) over the years.....I can still pick things up etc and it doesn't bother my back (I do work on the local trails shoveling etc....no issue). It just really gets uncomfortable after being on my feet for a couple of hours. At times on the course it probably looks like I'm drunk and dancing to funky music or something.....trying to keep the muscles from getting stiff.

I can empathise, I broke L2 twenty years ago and if I'm on my feet too much or its cold or rain I get an annoying ache
So I usually pop a pill in the morning when I know I'm in for one of those days and it does help

Mandofred

Visit site
I can empathise, I broke L2 twenty years ago and if I'm on my feet too much or its cold or rain I get an annoying ache
So I usually pop a pill in the morning when I know I'm in for one of those days and it does help
Uh.....what kind of pill do you pop? If I can't sort this out in the next month or two with just core work etc, I'll be heading to the Dr to see if they will allow me enough pills to play golf 4 times a week.

Ibu+Par do nothing as far as I can tell.....I still try to take them most days (hoping). What I need is a good looking massage lady to follow me around the golf course zapping me every couple of holes. My wife didn't want to do that.....she hates golf (and....sports in general)....and she isn't stupid enough to follow me around a golf course. ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Uh.....what kind of pill do you pop? If I can't sort this out in the next month or two with just core work etc, I'll be heading to the Dr to see if they will allow me enough pills to play golf 4 times a week.

Ibu+Par do nothing as far as I can tell.....I still try to take them most days (hoping). What I need is a good looking massage lady to follow me around the golf course zapping me every couple of holes. My wife didn't want to do that.....she hates golf (and....sports in general)....and she isn't stupid enough to follow me around a golf course. ;)

Just the aforementioned voltaren
Works for me

Mandofred

Visit site
Just talking to my wife about this a while ago......and she said that when she was cleaning out her parents house a couple of years ago for selling....she grabbed one of her mothers tubes of Fenbid (5%ibuprofen cream). She pulled it out of a cupboard somewhere (a year or two out of date) and slapped it on my lower back. I "think" it helped a little bit. Just took the edge off.

Updated: played this morning. Back really stiff. Rolled the back on the tennis ball on the wall and then rubbed a little of that Fenbid in.....back barely noticeable while playing today. Too bad it's on prescription, I'd buy another tube of that in a heart beat. Might end up at the Dr's in a few weeks anyway if things don't get better. Even with a better back, still lost £2:(

Last edited:

oleinone

Visit site
Turned up with a mate for an 11 am start to be told that 8 ladies teams of 4 had departed shotgun at 930 on 1 to 10. We caught them up on 6 and boy were they slow. Opted to stop after 9 for a leisurely coffee to allow some daylight. Restarted after 40 minutes and quickly got behind them again on 12 -by this time, they had been playing for 4 hours. Went back to the first and played four holes then gave up. At 3 pm the first of the teams started to drift in with others arriving as late as 330. The catering staff who had been assured that they would be sitting down at 2pm were not amused. Five and a half/ six hours for a round of golf?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Course is wet and we’ve had a buggy and trolley ban all week. First board comp today and they’ve allowed trolleys, but asked people not to use them. I’d estimate 75% of the players on the course today had an electric trolley so parts of the course are a mud bath.

What’s really annoying is the number of people who’ve ignored the wet bits and no trolley signs and posts near the greens. Morons.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Course is wet and we’ve had a buggy and trolley ban all week. First board comp today and they’ve allowed trolleys, but asked people not to use them. I’d estimate 75% of the players on the course today had an electric trolley so parts of the course are a mud bath.

What’s really annoying is the number of people who’ve ignored the wet bits and no trolley signs and posts near the greens. Morons.

Got them at out place... stuff roped off, they walk over the rope. Paths been built to protect high traffic areas, nope, they cut across the grass.

At least grass grows back in the Spring!

Mandofred

Visit site

Had a bit of this conversation this morning with a playing partner. He thought more of the course could have been opened up....because there were paths to avoid the worst of the muck. I pointed out that the club is most likely making decisions based off the fact that you can't trust golfers to do what they are supposed to do. Golfers are just like the rest of the population....some follow the rules, others don't....they just have to assume that if they let golfers on the muckiest holes that they would just tear the crap out of the ground....so, easy answer....don't let them play on those holes.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The absolute shambles of a competition committee at out club at the moment.

Last week there was a yellowball comp for which they didn't explain the rules clearly and then sent a snotty email out when 95% of the entrants entered their scores incorrectly.

This week was a 5 club comp on a non qualifying course (winter tees, non-measured and fairways closed) and all the scores entered have hit people's Handicap Record.

General discussion on the whatsapp appears to be that some individuals have offered their services to the committee to help setup and run these comps but have been told it isn't required.

One of my regular playing pals replied to last week's snotty email saying that if 95% of the field entered their scores wrong then clearly the competition rules weren't explained and that is their responsibility. He didn't receive a reply.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The absolute shambles of a competition committee at out club at the moment.
I have a similar irritation yesterday. We were playing an Irish Stableford, teams 4, two scores count on the first six holes, three scores count on the next six and all scores count on the last six holes. But the pro shop wouldn't budge on the three tee start format that we always have, so we were made to start on the 12th. After one hole we were already into the "all scores count" bit, which for me completely ruined the format. Pointless having a competition like that if two thirds of the groups are not allowed to play it properly.