Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Trying to arrange a match to be played by 10th April but not knowing when I’ll be clear of covid…?

And to compound things I’ve been trying to contact my opponent for nearly 2 weeks with my dates, but with no response, and he now knows I‘ve got covid. But the club management also knows ?. The fella is an older-timer; very long-server, and one of the most respected of club members. And so when I claim the match…which just so happens to be the semi of the winter K/o…?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
First comp of season this morning. Stab 1.
Excitement, feel ready, weathers nice and proper golf.
Get a coffee and some breakfast, pay for the comp and some overpriced refreshments.
Watch a group tee off…. Hold on a minute. Why are they teeing off the temp tee?
Comps non qualifying.

Back in the car. Waste of my money and time.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
First comp of season this morning. Stab 1.
Excitement, feel ready, weathers nice and proper golf.
Get a coffee and some breakfast, pay for the comp and some overpriced refreshments.
Watch a group tee off…. Hold on a minute. Why are they teeing off the temp tee?
Comps non qualifying.

Back in the car. Waste of my money and time.
I can understand some of the disappointment, but can't understand why you wouldn't still play Golf![/QUOTE]

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I can understand some of the disappointment, but can't understand why you wouldn't still play Golf!

I only play qualifiers or put cards in. Only under special circumstances would I not play for handicap. I like the battle against myself.
Playing a shortened course, teeing off on some holes abit of astroturf and for nothing just isn’t very appeasing nor gives me a return on my lessons. I’ve better things to do. One of the reasons I don’t play in winter not to mention the cold!

I opted for a good dog walk with the other half and a cold brew coffee.

phillarrow

Visit site
I only play qualifiers or put cards in. Only under special circumstances would I not play for handicap. I like the battle against myself.
Playing a shortened course, teeing off on some holes abit of astroturf and for nothing just isn’t very appeasing nor gives me a return on my lessons. I’ve better things to do. One of the reasons I don’t play in winter not to mention the cold!

Different strokes and all that, but I am genuinely baffled at the concept of someone having a hobby that they don't/won't do just for fun and leisure?! ?‍♂️

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Different strokes and all that, but I am genuinely baffled at the concept of someone having a hobby that they don't/won't do just for fun and leisure?! ?‍♂️

I’ll be honest it’s probably only still a hobby down to cost and time invested.
If the comp was with friends I would likely of stayed. This wasn’t. My friends do not get up at 6am on weekends.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Takes all sorts!.....
I can (sort of) understand the preference for counting rounds, but not to the exclusion of 'nothing on it' ones.
The group I play in don't do comps, but have maintained WHS/Slope style handicaps for several years before WHS was implemented here.
Not playing 'grooving' rounds/sessions after lessons would more likely be what felt, for me, like something that 'didn't give me a return on them' to me, as any changes have rarely been instant fixes.
I hope your other half, presumably not a dog, ;) appreciates your priorities. Was definitely a nice day for such activities.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit it well on the range. Nice high ball flight and straight and all was good. Out in the comps and all I had was straight. Everything low. Came 4th in the division and think I came third in the roll up so not a bad day. Missed two short putts on the atrocious greens (yes it was the same for everyone) and that would have got me second in the division and second in the roll up. Should get a cut so not a bad day but feels like a missed opportunity

Bobthesock

Visit site
20 degrees and still playing off fairway mats and winter tees. Going to be snowing next week but will be back off grass. That's the way it's always be done so common sense can't come into it

HeftyHacker

Visit site
20 degrees and still playing off fairway mats and winter tees. Going to be snowing next week but will be back off grass. That's the way it's always be done so common sense can't come into it

I sent an email in to our course director asking exactly the same thing. Apparently its tradition that we play off a winter course until the captains drive in on the 2nd of April. Makes absolutely no sense given the weather we've had this last week.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I get the not playing in winter…?…but I still do ?

sunshine

Visit site

I understand the desire to play a full course not off Astro turf. Does your club not communicate this?
Don’t understand why you would walk off if it’s not a qualifier. You can still challenge yourself, even competitions are still friendly knocks, you’re not playing in the Open.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I sent an email in to our course director asking exactly the same thing. Apparently its tradition that we play off a winter course until the captains drive in on the 2nd of April. Makes absolutely no sense given the weather we've had this last week.
Glad I'm not the only one. To make things worse, we had the captain's drive in 2 weeks ago, off a winter tee!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand the desire to play a full course not off Astro turf. Does your club not communicate this?
Don’t understand why you would walk off if it’s not a qualifier. You can still challenge yourself, even competitions are still friendly knocks, you’re not playing in the Open.

No they didn’t otherwise I would of not got out of bed.

It is a friendly knock yes, I’m not serious or precious when playing nor do I treat it like the Open, but I prefer to be playing for some kind of mental reward for myself. If not I can find something else to do!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Making a few putts this evening in a game with a mate but the only one he films is me lipping out for a birdie on a four-footer and now he's posted it on social media :mad::mad::mad::mad: Payback will be swift and very childish but very necessary :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been playing well and striking the ball great during the winter, scoring around level or just over par for most games. My gripe is that I seem to have lost two clubs distance with my irons in the last few weeks, yet my 10 year old driver is still going strong and getting my usual distances off the tee. No idea what I am doing differently but it is annoying. Trackman session booked to see what might be causing the problem. I’m no expert but I think I have got a bit steep and the ball is spinning up too much.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gave clubs a good clean yesterday, and degreased and roughed up the grips. They feel good and my swing looks OK when reflected in our conservatory glass. Just need to get out there…and at the moment I can’t so I can only admire my clubs - but must not do too much admiring of my swing as though it might look ok it might be rubbish ?.

Coreservers

Visit site
booking a nice quick 9 holes on the par 3, no issues with online. turn up at the club and 3 holes are being used as training holes by multiple users in the academy... i have no problem with the academy. but surely the system should stop you booking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Magically disappearing golf balls. Our par 3 6th was playing about 110 yards, I hit a PW as it was a bit breezy - straight on line for the pin but too much club as it turned out, it appeared to go through the green. 8th green is behind it, and some fellers who were playing the 8th point at a ball that they think they saw bounce through, only it's not my ball. The three of them check they haven't played or picked up the wrong ball and insist they haven't. My ball is nowhere to be found despite the grass not being stupidly long or anything between those two greens. So either one of those blokes was lying about having picked it up, or the ball disappeared off the face of the earth. It should only have been within 10 yards of the back of the green. Maddening.