Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Magically disappearing golf balls. Our par 3 6th was playing about 110 yards, I hit a PW as it was a bit breezy - straight on line for the pin but too much club as it turned out, it appeared to go through the green. 8th green is behind it, and some fellers who were playing the 8th point at a ball that they think they saw bounce through, only it's not my ball. The three of them check they haven't played or picked up the wrong ball and insist they haven't. My ball is nowhere to be found despite the grass not being stupidly long or anything between those two greens. So either one of those blokes was lying about having picked it up, or the ball disappeared off the face of the earth. It should only have been within 10 yards of the back of the green. Maddening.

I guess we'd all share that irritation

off topic, i'm stunned there are two greens for separate holes so close together. Bit of a nightmare for pace and safety I'd imagine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess we'd all share that irritation

off topic, i'm stunned there are two greens for separate holes so close together. Bit of a nightmare for pace and safety I'd imagine
There's probably a good 10-15 yards between the greens really, you wouldn't normally expect someone to be that far long on the 6th with it being such a short hole - I certainly didn't expect to be anyway. Playing the 8th (which is a par 5) you'd have to be too long and with a big slice to hit the 6th green I think.

I strongly suspect one of them picked my ball up, then decided to keep quiet to try and save face instead of admitting their mistake! I should also point out they weren't quite on the green when I hit my ball, they were just arriving a minute or two later, so no question of them being in danger and me not shouting fore or anything.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
horrendous contact with the driver . snap hook or slice right for example

i'll have a strop which normally includes me turning my back on it or looking down in disgust... and i'll have no idea where the entry point into the s**t was

this is more of an irritation with myself can't seem to break the habit. need to learn to have my strop while looking at the ball :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Getting nice extra distance with driver, but I hit 3 bad drives on Saturday into wilderness and each led to a no score

If I ‘reign it in’ and use old swing it’ll be middle of fairway 9/10. If I use new swing then it’ll go further and often straight… just not getting the 90% FIR yet

It’ll come eventually …

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shot 39 points at an away day with the society a few weeks ago, the software we use cut me from 13 to 8 ?
Played yesterday, shot 29 points on the new handicap and didn’t get a rise ?
Lad who won yesterday shot 39 points got cut from 25 to 18, lad who came second with 37 points got cut from 36 to 28.
I think the software is broken ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Getting nice extra distance with driver, but I hit 3 bad drives on Saturday into wilderness and each led to a no score

If I ‘reign it in’ and use old swing it’ll be middle of fairway 9/10. If I use new swing then it’ll go further and often straight… just not getting the 90% FIR yet

It’ll come eventually …
Are you sure????

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I only play qualifiers or put cards in. Only under special circumstances would I not play for handicap. I like the battle against myself.

Absolutely personal choice, but why not just try and win the comp?

Don't get me wrong, I need more of your view as I am not focused enough.

But, after a week at work, any golf is welcome.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Shot 39 points at an away day with the society a few weeks ago, the software we use cut me from 13 to 8 ?
Played yesterday, shot 29 points on the new handicap and didn’t get a rise ?
Lad who won yesterday shot 39 points got cut from 25 to 18, lad who came second with 37 points got cut from 36 to 28.
I think the software is broken ?
Or, as I have seen, uses an 'extreme' algorithm to avoid banditry/repeat winners or promote 'equality' (share pizes around) within the group.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely personal choice, but why not just try and win the comp?

Don't get me wrong, I need more of your view as I am not focused enough.

But, after a week at work, any golf is welcome.

It’s a hollow victory for me. Ive never played to win a comp, only to win against myself. Never been interested in a voucher.
When I could play in every comp going I’d go through the diary and any rare days there were a 4bbb/TS or greensomes on I’d be on golf empire looking for individual opens. If I couldn't find anything I’ll have a day off or heaven forbid go to work.

I just can’t bring myself on my day off hitting balls aimlessly on dreadful priory’s Priory course either! ?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been playing well and striking the ball great during the winter, scoring around level or just over par for most games. My gripe is that I seem to have lost two clubs distance with my irons in the last few weeks, yet my 10 year old driver is still going strong and getting my usual distances off the tee. No idea what I am doing differently but it is annoying. Trackman session booked to see what might be causing the problem. I’m no expert but I think I have got a bit steep and the ball is spinning up too much.
Pro has tested positive for COVID so my Trackman session is cancelled.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Premium golf balls. Been using a callaway supersoft or Srixon q star over winter and got multiple rounds out of either ball. Used a new prov1 for my last two rounds and both balls looked like they had been chewed by the dog after 9 holes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Premium golf balls. Been using a callaway supersoft or Srixon q star over winter and got multiple rounds out of either ball. Used a new prov1 for my last two rounds and both balls looked like they had been chewed by the dog after 9 holes.
Weird. I find my Bridgestone RX/RXS balls last waaay longer without scratches or dents then the old £20 a box jobs I used to use.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me the Q-star is a premium ball ?

Bobthesock

Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Had I been with other players I'd have played on if the others were up to a point as I had no waterproofs or umbrella. A bit of light rain stopping is fine but if it had kept going what was the point getting soaked to play a few holes.
I played in shorts, summer non waterproof shoes and no jacket. Was soaked and miserable for the whole round!