Golf Psychology: Case Study

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Its probably because the stuff he is focussing on is flimsy as he doesn't trust it yet. Once he improves himself and trusts his technique I reckon his focus figure might go up a bit and the importance of it.

Will be interested to see how this pans out anyway. Im a firm believer in psychology and reading a few books certainly helped to turn me around. I was a nightmare when I started playing, rollercoaster round every week :rofl:

Cheers Birchy this is very much what I have in the back of my mind too and will wait and see if we are correct

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am trying not to say this without sounding negative, but does a 26 handicapper really need a psychologist to get to 18, or even 10?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You missed a bit... 26 handicapper of 5 years,

So stagnated.

Assuming not 'only 5 years old'!:whistle:

I didn't, I'm just going on the basis that 26 to 18 isn't a huge leap for someone who practices quite a lot and has a decent short game. Wasting shots due to fats and thins are a technique problem, not a mental one IMvHO.

I'm not saying psychology doesn't have a place in golf, I'm just not convinced it is really needed at this stage.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you can hit most of your shots without duffing then you can get to 18 no problem through a decent short game (1 chip, 2 putts) and course management.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Norman the 26hcp golfer of 5 years:
“I want to play off single figures, My first goal is to get down to 18 and then down to 10 or less. I also want to win my club championship and the club matchplay. I want my name on the honours board”

If you succeed with this ambition, you are a Genie :eek: not very realistic of Norman...26 to 10 would not be out of the question though.

there is the handicap club championship as well remember

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't, I'm just going on the basis that 26 to 18 isn't a huge leap for someone who practices quite a lot and has a decent short game. Wasting shots due to fats and thins are a technique problem, not a mental one IMvHO.

I'm not saying psychology doesn't have a place in golf, I'm just not convinced it is really needed at this stage.

Can you help your mate then please
12 -10 is not difficult

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk

Obviously I am biased but I think practice on it's own can be counter productive at times, especially if it lacks focus or direction. Learning and ingraining a new action and then trusting it on the course can be achieved quicker and more effective with certain mental techniques and proven methods. Don't forget he has had lessons in the past and his technique at times can be good. He lacks consistency and his technique goes completely to pot after a bad shot or poor score on a hole.

I think the term psychologist can create a vastly different image to what I actually do. Performance coach is another term for it and one I did toy with before going with Golf Psychologist.

Interestingly, like the H4H challenge we are going from a similar starting point and now that I have my degree, first house, marriage, and setting up a business out of the way I am also fully committed to improving myself in a similar way. Very difficult to psychologise yourself though unfortunately :) but I think we can push each other along during the process.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Obviously I am biased but I think practice on it's own can be counter productive at times, especially if it lacks focus or direction. Learning and ingraining a new action and then trusting it on the course can be achieved quicker and more effective with certain mental techniques and proven methods. Don't forget he has had lessons in the past and his technique at times can be good. He lacks consistency and his technique goes completely to pot after a bad shot or poor score on a hole.

I think the term psychologist can create a vastly different image to what I actually do. Performance coach is another term for it and one I did toy with before going with Golf Psychologist.

Interestingly, like the H4H challenge we are going from a similar starting point and now that I have my degree, first house, marriage, and setting up a business out of the way I am also fully committed to improving myself in a similar way. Very difficult to psychologise yourself though unfortunately :) but I think we can push each other along during the process.

Don't get me wrong, I was really not trying to doubt that you can be of any help to him, I was merely asking the question as my first instinct on reading the blog was that psychology isn't really what's needed here. However, I'm really no expert and am probably wrong :D

V

vkurup

Good one.. not far from my own self...

Is there a way to subscribe or follow the blog posts?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting. I'm happy to state i think it's a top idea for 'Norman'.

Learning some basic mental skills alongside grip, alignment and swing will help this chap(?) for sure and speed up development.

I see too many good strikers held back by feeble mental skills who invariably talk themselves out of playing well. I for one took time out a few years ago to fill in the gaps and learn some more skills that had not naturally developed - for me, at least, was the difference between being 9-10 hcp and cat 1. Accept that some folk are just natural sportpeople (I'm envious) and never need to deliberately work on these skills; I propose that these are exceptions to the rule in golf.

Will be reading the blog with interest...

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think psychology is definitely something I could use. How can I birdie a 430yd par 4 or have an eagle putt on a par 5 (this happened in my last round) yet take a 7 on a par 3 which then leads to club chucking and 2 more bad holes before I recompose myself :D

I wish 'Norman' well and shall be following with interest. Luckily I have my Icey wedges fitting coming up so thats good for 5 shots off the handicap ;)