Golf Monthly Top 100

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

evemccc

Visit site
They clearly haven’t been to Hindhead in a while… subjective I know but Hindhead is easily better than quite a few on that list.

Front 9 rightly gets the plaudits but your back 9 is also varied and very good indeed IMO

I played on a rainy day merely hours after tining of the greens — which wasn’t mentioned in the pro shop or when I made the booking, so I didn’t see it at its best — but apart from that it really made a very favourable impression as a whole 👍🏻

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lucky enough to have played 30. All of them were great courses to play but I guess the order is very subjective, but ignoring the financial aspects I cannot see any golfer not enjoying any of the courses I played given half decent weather.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Front 9 rightly gets the plaudits but your back 9 is also varied and very good indeed IMO

I played on a rainy day merely hours after tining of the greens — which wasn’t mentioned in the pro shop or when I made the booking, so I didn’t see it at its best — but apart from that it really made a very favourable impression as a whole 👍🏻
I’m glad you enjoyed it, frustrating about being so close after maintenance week as the greens are probably the best bit.

D

Deleted member 17920

Played 77 on this list.

Missing 8 on the mainland and the other 15 in Ireland.

With the green fee prices now I cant see me playing much over the next few years and so pleased I played loads before the green fees went to a different level.

sunshine

Visit site
See the updated post... much better on the desktop :) On Android (even with a blocker) was shocking... couldnt see the ads, but it stuck on large blank gaps where the ads were!

Yeah, same on my iphone. Just looked on the desktop and it's fine to browse. The GM team need to look at this, so many people do their browsing on a phone these days.

sunshine

Visit site
I've only played 21, although I've never played golf in Ireland so that rules out about 20 straight away, especially at current crazy prices.

Some thoughts:
- A lot of love for Woburn, all 3 courses featuring in the list, I like the courses but it seems a little generous.
- Some very highly rated modern courses don't make it, I'm thinking JCB, Bearwood Lakes etc. Is there a bias against parkland? ;)
- But also I note a couple of classic heathland tracks don't make it, e.g. Ipswich, New Zealand.
- Has the huge refurb at the Addington brought it up to top 100 level, or is it still too early? (Not played there since covid so I have no view on this).
- Most under-rated course on the list: Princes. Would be top 40 if it was a stuffy old fashioned club.
- Most over-rated course: Royal Liverpool. It's a fantastic course but at least 30 places too high because of its history.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've only played 21, although I've never played golf in Ireland so that rules out about 20 straight away, especially at current crazy prices.

Some thoughts:
- A lot of love for Woburn, all 3 courses featuring in the list, I like the courses but it seems a little generous.
- Some very highly rated modern courses don't make it, I'm thinking JCB, Bearwood Lakes etc. Is there a bias against parkland? ;)
- But also I note a couple of classic heathland tracks don't make it, e.g. Ipswich, New Zealand.
- Has the huge refurb at the Addington brought it up to top 100 level, or is it still too early? (Not played there since covid so I have no view on this).
- Most under-rated course on the list: Princes. Would be top 40 if it was a stuffy old fashioned club.
- Most over-rated course: Royal Liverpool. It's a fantastic course but at least 30 places too high because of its history.

In regards your question about JCB etc they don’t include courses where you can’t book a green fee as a visitor

So the likes of JCB, Centurion, Bearwood, Queenwood , Wentworth even Beaverbrooks are not included

evemccc

Visit site
Following on from Sunshine, some things I’ve noticed relative to other rankings I’ve seen:

Worplesdon is higher (better placed) than I’ve seen it before, West Sussex is relatively much lower down the list (whereas other rankings place this at Top 12 in England), Hoylake is very high and Brancaster significantly much lower than in other lists

I don’t take these too seriously, as I’m sure they’re not meant to be taken that way anyway, but I like these lists as it’s a fun things to discuss, reminisce, and get excited about future days out

Agree that a 100-200 list is probably more interesting anyway

I have my own list of courses I arbitrarily have decided I want to play and I am working through them.

For example, I’m British and so I want first to play courses in the UK exclusively, and I am not interested in other ‘objectively good’ courses that are modern and have consistently received universal praise (such as Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart, The Grove, etc). I want to play the classics first and then if time and money allows I may spread my wings but all of these things are finite

D

Deleted member 25172

Played 13 on the list, and echoing what a few others have already said, don't see myself playing many or any of the others on the list in the near future given the prices in general.

As the lists are subjective, here are some of the "mistakes" on the list - if you ask me.

Aberdovey behind RND and Royal St Davids. Found Aberdovey way more interesting than RSD (I played *** at both courses, so no good golf bias). RND I appreciate the history, but don't think I'd have it on my own top 25 list (not top 100 as I haven't played that many myself).

Also, more controversial perhaps, I think that Royal Cinque Ports is the better/more interesting course over Carnoustie. Again, no good golf bias as my combined stableford score at RCP over 2 rounds comes to 28 and a dozen lost balls. Perhaps a bad golf bias, where I hype the course up cause how hard I found it? :LOL:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played 13 on the list, and echoing what a few others have already said, don't see myself playing many or any of the others on the list in the near future given the prices in general.

As the lists are subjective, here are some of the "mistakes" on the list - if you ask me.

Aberdovey behind RND and Royal St Davids. Found Aberdovey way more interesting than RSD (I played *** at both courses, so no good golf bias). RND I appreciate the history, but don't think I'd have it on my own top 25 list (not top 100 as I haven't played that many myself).

Also, more controversial perhaps, I think that Royal Cinque Ports is the better/more interesting course over Carnoustie. Again, no good golf bias as my combined stableford score at RCP over 2 rounds comes to 28 and a dozen lost balls. Perhaps a bad golf bias, where I hype the course up cause how hard I found it? :LOL:

Aberdovey in my mind is miles better than RND and Royal St David's! The good holes at St David's are very good, there are just not enough of them! It gets votes because of the Castle.

Woking should be higher! St Enodoc higher than Saunton? Did they only play the front 9 at St E and cut across to the 16th? :)

As with a few other folk, very glad I played many of these before prices went silly.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So. I've only played 10 of those and, looking at the current green fees of most of the others, I doubt if I will bother with any more at those prices. 9 of the 10 were non-links courses and, to be fair, I've played on many non-top 100 parkland/heathland/downland courses that have been as good, if not better, than those in the list. It's all subjective of course.
A great course can be total carp the following week due to weather, maintenance, etc.

I really can't see the fanaticism some show for links courses.
Strictly my opinion of course and I won't be drawn into a discussion on this subject. It is my opinion.
;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Strictly my opinion of course and I won't be drawn into a discussion on this subject. It is my opinion.;)

And you're entitled to it, even if I don't share it! :) But I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer links over other forms, a great course is a great course regardless!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31467

Strictly my opinion of course and I won't be drawn into a discussion on this subject. It is my opinion.
;)
You are absolutely right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Shame you are wrong though.........;)

Reactions: Val