• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Always love a good - Links Vs Parkland Vs Heathland debate

my preference

To play at - links

To be a member at - Heathland

Unfortunately being based in the middle there is no links course nearby and no decent heathland so having to slum it at a parkland 😁

sunshine

Visit site
In regards your question about JCB etc they don’t include courses where you can’t book a green fee as a visitor

So the likes of JCB, Centurion, Bearwood, Queenwood , Wentworth even Beaverbrooks are not included

That explains a lot - thanks. Although given the huge increase in green fees, some courses are effectively pricing out visitors now.

I thought that might be a reason as I noticed Loch Lomond and Wentworth were missing.

sunshine

Visit site

my preference

To play at - links

Unfortunately being based in the middle there is no links course nearby and no decent heathland so having to slum it at a parkland 😁

Yes - same here.

Being a member at a links could be brutal in winter (actually in summer too). Heathland would be ideal, member at Sunningdale or the Berkshire is the dream, including a house backing on to one of the courses.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One.

And that was over 40 years ago in a universities comp.

Luffenham Heath usually scrapes in to an England only 100 list. Played that in recent years because there was a seniors comp with £15 entry fee.

I was always focussed on club and county competitive golf during my best years and was never much of a golfing tourist.
I really like a day out these days, but that's usually more about the company than an expensive venue.

I enjoy looking at the list, however, and I have got my eye on one not too far away from me.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

my preference

To play at - links

Having been a member of a links course for over 30 years I would rather be a member of a parkland or heathland course 😆

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've only played 21, although I've never played golf in Ireland so that rules out about 20 straight away, especially at current crazy prices.

Some thoughts:
- A lot of love for Woburn, all 3 courses featuring in the list, I like the courses but it seems a little generous.
- Some very highly rated modern courses don't make it, I'm thinking JCB, Bearwood Lakes etc. Is there a bias against parkland? ;)
- But also I note a couple of classic heathland tracks don't make it, e.g. Ipswich, New Zealand.
- Has the huge refurb at the Addington brought it up to top 100 level, or is it still too early? (Not played there since covid so I have no view on this).
- Most under-rated course on the list: Princes. Would be top 40 if it was a stuffy old fashioned club.
- Most over-rated course: Royal Liverpool. It's a fantastic course but at least 30 places too high because of its history.

And here's where a subjective debate comes up. You say RL is 30 too high because of history, the same could be argued about TOC and a few others. For me RL gets far too many knockers, it's a brilliant test of golf and deserves its high accolades and place on the Open rota.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
21 on my list of courses, including a few I’ve been lucky enough to be a member of. As for the type of course I prefer, links. Yes they can be brutal, especially when the wind is blowing in the spring, but at least you’re pretty much guaranteed a full years golf.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So. I've only played 10 of those and, looking at the current green fees of most of the others, I doubt if I will bother with any more at those prices. 9 of the 10 were non-links courses and, to be fair, I've played on many non-top 100 parkland/heathland/downland courses that have been as good, if not better, than those in the list. It's all subjective of course.
A great course can be total carp the following week due to weather, maintenance, etc.

I really can't see the fanaticism some show for links courses.
Strictly my opinion of course and I won't be drawn into a discussion on this subject. It is my opinion.
;)

Clearly you haven't played enough links 🤣

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

my preference

To play at - links

I’ll rephrase my post😉

Unfortunately being based where there are no trees so no parkland courses and no decent heathland courses I’m forced to slum it on a links. 👍

D

Deleted member 17920

I’ll rephrase my post😉

Unfortunately being based where there are no trees so no parkland courses and no decent heathland courses I’m forced to slum it on a links. 👍
How many days without a wind do you get up there?

Looks a stunning place to play in the summer.
Not sure I would want to play in the middle of December 😳

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
- Has the huge refurb at the Addington brought it up to top 100 level, or is it still too early? (Not played there since covid so I have no view on this).
Still too early. Wait another 3 years: new clubhouse, new starting and finishing holes, new practice areas and the GUR to all bed in. Then it will be a lovely course again amd should get into the top 100.

evemccc

Visit site
And here's where a subjective debate comes up. You say RL is 30 too high because of history, the same could be argued about TOC and a few others. For me RL gets far too many knockers, it's a brilliant test of golf and deserves its high accolades and place on the Open rota.

Fully agree…having read plenty of reviews of the top courses I obviously had read about the negatives of Hoylake before I played it..

It far exceeding my expectations - marvellous views across the water, and great feeling of openness / vastness - Hole 9 is really great and it has one of my favourite par 3s I’ve ever played (11th? or 12th)

Very nice clubhouse and staff, but aside from all that, the course is good

Reactions: Val

sunshine

Visit site

I think RL is a great course. I just don’t think it’s any better than Princes or Hunstanton for example. But hey, that’s a subjective view 😀
It hosts the Open because it has enough space to accommodate the crowds and infrastructure. Not many links courses have that.