Golf commentary - what!!!!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two worst bits of commentary i've heard:

At the 2011 US Open one American commentator described a McIlroy bunker shot as "doable."

At the 2010 Ryder Cup Jay Townsend, when commentating on Martin Kaymer, asked "how can you be a major champion and a rookie?"

And they pay these people for this tosh.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
McGinleys geography is horrific, "Baltray (where Lowry spectacularly won the Irish open 10 years ago as a relatively unknown am), just around the corner along the coast from here"
Just around the corner? Its 140 miles by car almost as the crow flies, got to be 180 if you trekked around the coastline, in the scale of the island it's a fairly long trek.. Does he think he is actually at RCD and not Portrush?
Like saying Skegness is just over the road from London city centre.

Wolf

Visit site
McGinley is literally stealing a living. Just because he was a Ruder Cup winning captain. He's so bad it's laughable. Says the same guff, his geographical comments are akin to my 5 year old trying to point out where Uganda is on a map.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

At the 2011 US Open one American commentator described a McIlroy bunker shot as "doable."

At the 2010 Ryder Cup Jay Townsend, when commentating on Martin Kaymer, asked "how can you be a major champion and a rookie?"

As was Fleetwood's 3rd on the 10th this afternoon, according to Riley.

Wolf

Visit site

Doesn't beat Ken Brown commentating when Nick Faldo and his caddie Fanny Sunneson lining-up shots at the Scottish Open: ‘Some weeks Nick likes to use Fanny; other weeks he prefers to do it by himself.’

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There are some right moaning myrtles on here. I will admit though, it is annoying to hear commentators try to make victory marches (like yesterday's) on the last 3 or 4 holes sound interesting.

'A 7 shot lead with 2 to play, but you just never know on this course.' Ok then :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday Radar told us that Fleetwood is 'around 15 yards longer than Lowry' three times in the space of about 20 minutes. And every time he said it, he said it as if he was just coming up with it there and then. Is it that he doesn't know if he's on the air or not so not sure if his comments get heard??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don’t think it’s worth a thread to itself but how was everyone’s coverage of The Open?

I managed at least 25 hours over the 4 days
Some of the commentary/quotes etc got repetitive but that’ll happen as things were mentioned for the benefit of viewers who didn’t sit glued to the gogglebox. But I think it was oversused for things like giants causeway/game of thrones etc. Thought the pictures and camera work (& aerial shots) were good (although I did get a laugh at some of the ‘F1 style’ ultra slo-mo, it looked like Danny Willett was shot by a sniper yesterday on one of them)
Mine was the international feed from the golf channel broadcast, so a different commentary/pundit team and Ad breaks were few and far between, about one 30 second break every hour, which was less than I expected
It became a little predictable that they’d only cut to another player standing over a birdie putt if they’d actually made the putt or a par putt if they missed it, so I think the directors could’ve worked a bit smarter cutting to more shots rather than the leading player prep or walking between holes etc and I thought they relied on this feature too much rather than better editing

Overall pretty good, just find a way to include action from more of the field in the coverage

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t think it’s worth a thread to itself but how was everyone’s coverage of The Open?
On Thursday and Friday I was forced to listen to on Five Live, which was mind-numbingly infuriating in it's inanity.

Watching Sky Sports on Sunday, it was not bad. Don't like McGinley at all, just the sound of his voice is irritating and the nonsense he comes out with. Radar is 50-50, sometimes enjoy his whimsy, other times he just repeats himself and becomes annoying. The others are ok, Dougherty is far and away the best. Ewen Murray I don't mind although he says the same things quite often.

Sky do have this habit of abandoning players on the coverage once they make a few bogeys though. Just because Stenson or Rose have dropped out of the top ten it doesn't mean we suddenly don't care how they're doing. Still would like to see how they're getting on, even if the answer is 'badly'.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On Thursday and Friday I was forced to listen to on Five Live, which was mind-numbingly infuriating in it's inanity.

Watching Sky Sports on Sunday, it was not bad. Don't like McGinley at all, just the sound of his voice is irritating and the nonsense he comes out with. Radar is 50-50, sometimes enjoy his whimsy, other times he just repeats himself and becomes annoying. The others are ok, Dougherty is far and away the best. Ewen Murray I don't mind although he says the same things quite often.

Sky do have this habit of abandoning players on the coverage once they make a few bogeys though. Just because Stenson or Rose have dropped out of the top ten it doesn't mean we suddenly don't care how they're doing. Still would like to see how they're getting on, even if the answer is 'badly'.

I had a right ol mishmash for commentary over the 4 days, from Sam Torrance & Dougie Donnelly, Jay Townsend on the course. Thomas Bjørn, Nick Flado, Dale Hayes and Tony Johnstone. None of the fellas you guys got

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
McGinley certainly isn't great but Laura Davies is absolutely terrible. I don't mind Radar but he could be really good if he didn't have to try and squeeze as many one-liners into each segment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
McGinley certainly isn't great but Laura Davies is absolutely terrible. I don't mind Radar but he could be really good if he didn't have to try and squeeze as many one-liners into each segment.
I didn't mind Laura Davies. What don't you like about her?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't mind Laura Davies. What don't you like about her?
She didn’t appear to know much about a lot of the players she was commenting on. I don’t have the exact quote to hand but she said something about JB Holmes which suggested he wasn’t slow. Poor example but I just didn’t think she was very clued up on the players.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Exactly, I loved watching Rose's shank. Would loved to have seen Stenson's as well :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly, I loved watching Rose's shank. Would loved to have seen Stenson's as well :ROFLMAO:
I saw the Stenson one later on Facebook, he snapped the club over his knee afterwards. In all honesty I wouldn't have enjoyed that one quite as much since I had money on him each way. o_O