Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Fascinating work John, superb effort.
I can't believe that the village I grew up in and lived for 25 years had a golf course on a piece of "wasteland" we used to play on that we called "the whins" was the site of a course. Only now looking at googlemap satellite view can you actually see that there has been something there.

Yours
Astonished Crossgates, Fife [former] resident :thup:

Thank you, I get this response a lot, particularly with the older clubs.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Have to agree, great site

Weird that I used to live in Fife and drive by a stretch of road regularly saying that would be a good place for a wee course... only to find that there did used to be one right on that very spot!

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Have to agree, great site

Weird that I used to live in Fife and drive by a stretch of road regularly saying that would be a good place for a wee course... only to find that there did used to be one right on that very spot!

Cheers, which course was it?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Elmstead Woods was incorporated into the 36 hole Sundridge Park golf club many years ago.

I'll try to dig out a bit more info later.

OK John and Blue in M. A little more info and thoughts re Elmstead Woods and Sundridge Park.

As far as I can make out at the moment, the original 18 hole Sundridge Park course was mainly the current West Course. A 9 hole course was introduced later for "The Ladies" and I suspect that it was basically to the west of the track leading up to the "Mansion" that now incorporates holes 1, 9 - 11, 15 - 18 of the East Course. The current remaining 10 holes on the East (2 - 8, 12 - 14) I think would have been the Elmstead Woods course. The current yardage for these 10 holes is approx 4000 with only one par 3 so I suspect that holes 7 and 8 may have been additions over the years and obviously changes to the layouts on the other holes.

I'll have to make myself busy at the club an see if they have any more info on the original course layouts.

You may have already seen the club brochure http://issuu.com/pinnaclegroup/docs/sundridgepark_2012 pages 6 and 7 (some name dropping there including the ubiquitous Mr Balfour (see Tooting Bec)). You will probably see what I mean about the layout of the holes by looking at the score card maps shown on pages 10 and 11 but beware, proof reader's error. The course shown as the East on the East page 10 is in fact the West and vica versa.

hth

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

OK John and Blue in M. A little more info and thoughts re Elmstead Woods and Sundridge Park.

As far as I can make out at the moment, the original 18 hole Sundridge Park course was mainly the current West Course. A 9 hole course was introduced later for "The Ladies" and I suspect that it was basically to the west of the track leading up to the "Mansion" that now incorporates holes 1, 9 - 11, 15 - 18 of the East Course. The current remaining 10 holes on the East (2 - 8, 12 - 14) I think would have been the Elmstead Woods course. The current yardage for these 10 holes is approx 4000 with only one par 3 so I suspect that holes 7 and 8 may have been additions over the years and obviously changes to the layouts on the other holes.

I'll have to make myself busy at the club an see if they have any more info on the original course layouts.

You may have already seen the club brochure http://issuu.com/pinnaclegroup/docs/sundridgepark_2012 pages 6 and 7 (some name dropping there including the ubiquitous Mr Balfour (see Tooting Bec)). You will probably see what I mean about the layout of the holes by looking at the score card maps shown on pages 10 and 11 but beware, proof reader's error. The course shown as the East on the East page 10 is in fact the West and vica versa.

hth

Had not seen the brochure but it was interesting to note that "Sundridge Park amalgamated with Elmstead Woods in 1928 and a new 18 hole course was designed"

Look forward to your findings!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

hth

Thanks Leftie. Looking at John's site last night with the new map, and with the description that the course was north of Garden Wood and a quick look at Google maps showing Garden Wood just east of the Manor I'd actually come to the way of thinking that Elmstead lay between the Manor and the railway line on the West course. How does the following route grab you; 7, 8, 9, 10, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? Start & finish just east of the Manor in some sort of a loop, and much more undulating land that might have meant it was less suitable for other uses so more readily available for a golf course. Also nearer to the Elmstead area than Bromley or Sundridge Park so possibly lends itself more to the name? Could be completely wrong (won't be the first time) but from that map info that seemed the most likely to me if Garden Wood hasn't "moved". Be interested to know what you find out.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk

Another one that appears to be on the way out is Purley Chase near Nuneaton. I used to be a member there but the owners at the time dumped half of the crap removed when the M6 Toll was built between the fairways. Lorries used to just drive across the course without warning when you were playing. It would seem that things have gone downhill ever since.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...er-future-north-warwickshire-2822754#comments

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03044168

It's a shame really because when I first joined they were about to host a Europro tour event.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Another one that appears to be on the way out is Purley Chase near Nuneaton. I used to be a member there but the owners at the time dumped half of the crap removed when the M6 Toll was built between the fairways. Lorries used to just drive across the course without warning when you were playing. It would seem that things have gone downhill ever since.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...er-future-north-warwickshire-2822754#comments

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03044168

It's a shame really because when I first joined they were about to host a Europro tour event.

Thanks for the links, it does look as though its the end of the road for Purley Chase. If you do get confirmation of its closure please let me know.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

How does the following route grab you; 7, 8, 9, 10, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? Start & finish just east of the Manor in some sort of a loop, and much more undulating land that might have meant it was less suitable for other uses so more readily available for a golf course.

Wow. Great thinking Blue. To be honest, I'd be knackered after 9 holes on that combination, let alone 18. Just to put this into perspective, the top part of that area (4th and 8th) were (as I understand it) built from spoil from the railway tunnel that runs along side the 4th and 8th. This explains why in heavy rain water appears halfway down the fairways on both holes. I'm still going with the club brochure at the moment though where the present West course was the original Sundridge course but that might have been before the landfill contract was up for grabs.

I'll keep on digging.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Looks like it may still be there! Last time I saw it, it was massively overgrown and was told a developer bought the land. The 18 hold course on the other side of the club is going strong so maybe they took control of it ?

Played on it many times when I was a teenager, a long time ago. More of a pitch and putt than a full 9 hole course if I recall correctly.