Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Great website :thup:
I was really surprised to a Clifton Golf Club (gtr manchester ) Listed. I grew up a couple of minutes away from the site which is now a housing estate.
Also couldn't believe the amount of courses that existed on the fylde coast, especially around the Cleveleys area.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Great website :thup:
I was really surprised to a Clifton Golf Club (gtr manchester ) Listed. I grew up a couple of minutes away from the site which is now a housing estate.
Also couldn't believe the amount of courses that existed on the fylde coast, especially around the Cleveleys area.

Thanks, glad you like the website.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hi John,
I have tried to send you comprehensive information on Bagden Hall Golf Club, Scissett, West Yorkshire, but it seems your website thinks I am sending spam. If you would PM me with an email address, I would be happy to send you as much information as you need.
Congratulations on a great website!

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

John, might I suggest you edit the thread title as some people might bypass it who would otherwise be interested in reading your site.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

John, might I suggest you edit the thread title as some people might bypass it who would otherwise be interested in reading your site.

Agree - I was bypassing it - until my curiosity got to me over 'who is this John Llewellyn guy who is generating postings?'

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

John, fascinating website, especially when I found that there were golf courses where I used to work, live and went to school that I know nothing about! :eek:

As regards Elmstead Golf Club, given its location, did that get incorporated into Sundridge Park Golf Club? The map is a little confusing but the location of the railway stations suggests to me it might be.

http://www.spgc.co.uk/sundridge-park-golf-club-heritage.asp

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

John, fascinating website, especially when I found that there were golf courses where I used to work, live and went to school that I know nothing about! :eek:

As regards Elmstead Golf Club, given its location, did that get incorporated into Sundridge Park Golf Club? The map is a little confusing but the location of the railway stations suggests to me it might be.

http://www.spgc.co.uk/sundridge-park-golf-club-heritage.asp

With regard to Elmstead I will take the current map off the website and replace it with an OS map.

I have had a look at the Sundridge Park website to see if I could find a history section, but there is little information regarding its past. I realise that a Centenary Book was published in 2001 and there is probably more information in that, unfortunately I don't have a copy.

Do you think it's possible that Sundridge Park had an earlier course? looking at early OS maps it could have done.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Fascinating work John, superb effort.
I can't believe that the village I grew up in and lived for 25 years had a golf course on a piece of "wasteland" we used to play on that we called "the whins" was the site of a course. Only now looking at googlemap satellite view can you actually see that there has been something there.

Yours
Astonished Crossgates, Fife [former] resident :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

With regard to Elmstead I will take the current map off the website and replace it with an OS map.

I have had a look at the Sundridge Park website to see if I could find a history section, but there is little information regarding its past. I realise that a Centenary Book was published in 2001 and there is probably more information in that, unfortunately I don't have a copy.

Do you think it's possible that Sundridge Park had an earlier course? looking at early OS maps it could have done.

I was brought up a few miles away and used to play there. From your description of the distance from the railway stations and the new map (you don't hang about, do you! :D ) with the reference to Garden Wood I suspect it is. Garden Wood is pretty much smack in the middle of the current 36 hole set up at Sundridge Park, which would mean Elmstead Golf Club could have been part of what is now Sundridge Park. In addition to that, the Sundridge Park Manor shown could fairly be described as a Mansion, the address of N. Lewis, who was the secretary. My knowledge of the area is not encyclopaedic, but I can't think of too many other mansions in that area. Here's a link to the manor, the fairway in front of the manor on the rolling slides is the 14th East.

http://www.sundridgepark.com

The Manor is also a 1/4 of a mile from Elmstead Woods Station & 3/4 of a mile from Sundridge Park station. The West course runs around the back of the mansion, the East course around the front; if you drew a line from the clubhouse on Google to Elmstead Woods station, the East course is pretty much below the line, the West course above it. I can't say there's an obvious 9 holes around the Manor that strike me as a old course, but I would like to know now. As Sundridge Park say they grew in stages, the answer may lie in that book. If I get invited to the match there this year I will make some enquiries unless you solve it first.

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site

There used to be a great 9 hole course associated with Gloucester Ski Centre, will see if I can find any more info on it for you.

Looks like it may still be there! Last time I saw it, it was massively overgrown and was told a developer bought the land. The 18 hold course on the other side of the club is going strong so maybe they took control of it ?

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
Last edited:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Elmstead Woods was incorporated into the 36 hole Sundridge Park golf club many years ago.

I'll try to dig out a bit more info later.