Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeared

I’ve been asked to start a new thread by fellow loungers, the title on the last one didn’t fit the criteria.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my last request for information on recently closed courses. If anyone (including former members etc) can help with further information I would love to hear from you.
If you prefer you can "Contact Us" with information through my free website Golf's Missing Links - www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
If anyone can add any information to the defunct courses that already appear on the website it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Re: Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeared

Think you are going to have a busy year! Courses or clubs that I know are under threat of closure include Basingstoke Golf Club, Blue Mountain in Bracknell, Ruislip Golf Club and Uxbridge Golf Club.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Think you are going to have a busy year! Courses or clubs that I know are under threat of closure include Basingstoke Golf Club, Blue Mountain in Bracknell, Ruislip Golf Club and Uxbridge Golf Club.

Things are really tough at the moment, let's hope the clubs you mention survive, a lot of clubs are struggling.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Things are really tough at the moment, let's hope the clubs you mention survive, a lot of clubs are struggling.

All of the clubs I mentioned are under threat of redevelopment. Basingstoke and Blue Mountain for housing estates, and Ruislip and Uxbridge by HS2 in the short term, but I doubt that they remain as viable courses and are also likely to be turned into housing estates to accommodate all the immigrants the last Labour Government allowed to flood into our once green and pleasant land! :(

Last edited:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

All of the clubs I mentioned are under threat of redevelopment. Basingstoke and Blue Mountain for housing estates, and Ruislip and Uxbridge by HS2 in the short term, but I doubt that they remain as viable courses and are also likely to be turned into housing estates to accommodate all the immigrants the last Labour Government allowed to flood into our once green and pleasant land! :(

So you're suggesting what, we change the rules on this? ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Aylesbury Golf Centre, in Bierton on the Leighton Buzzard Rd, closed last April. It opened in 1991, I think, as a 9 hole course designed by Terry Benwell. In 1998 the course was extended to 18 holes. It was never a popular course, being very flat and fairly featureless although there were some quite tough holes.
There was a fairly decent number of competitions but the numbers playing rarely exceeded 30. Male membership hovered around the 120 mark with about 20 Ladies and a handful of Juniors.
I was a member from 1993 until 2008 in 2 stints, a break for injury and Fatherhood from 2001-2004.
Membership declined through the years, there was next to no investment in the course and the "Clubhouse" - and old Farm building kitted out with changing rooms,Pro shop and bar and known as Bob's Barn. With a small membership the Barn's catering side always struggled and was eventually taken over by a local pub and converted to a restaurant. It was about this time, late 2012, that the decision as made to close the club. It was losing in the region of £2000 a month and there was no chance of a rescue. The club had been on the market but the only interest was in the Barn and the adjoining Driving range.
In March 2013 the doors closed. The majority of members joined Aylesbury Park Golf Club, a club in danger itself due to the proposed High Speed rail link planned for the area.
The range at Bierton is still operational, probably as it's the only range within 10 miles of Aylesbury and the Barn is still being run by the local pub.
Never the best course but it's where I started playing, it has my name on the Captain's Day Honours board twice and many a happy our was spent on the course and in the bar.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Aylesbury Golf Centre, in Bierton on the Leighton Buzzard Rd, closed last April. It opened in 1991, I think, as a 9 hole course designed by Terry Benwell. In 1998 the course was extended to 18 holes. It was never a popular course, being very flat and fairly featureless although there were some quite tough holes.
There was a fairly decent number of competitions but the numbers playing rarely exceeded 30. Male membership hovered around the 120 mark with about 20 Ladies and a handful of Juniors.
I was a member from 1993 until 2008 in 2 stints, a break for injury and Fatherhood from 2001-2004.
Membership declined through the years, there was next to no investment in the course and the "Clubhouse" - and old Farm building kitted out with changing rooms,Pro shop and bar and known as Bob's Barn. With a small membership the Barn's catering side always struggled and was eventually taken over by a local pub and converted to a restaurant. It was about this time, late 2012, that the decision as made to close the club. It was losing in the region of £2000 a month and there was no chance of a rescue. The club had been on the market but the only interest was in the Barn and the adjoining Driving range.
In March 2013 the doors closed. The majority of members joined Aylesbury Park Golf Club, a club in danger itself due to the proposed High Speed rail link planned for the area.
The range at Bierton is still operational, probably as it's the only range within 10 miles of Aylesbury and the Barn is still being run by the local pub.
Never the best course but it's where I started playing, it has my name on the Captain's Day Honours board twice and many a happy our was spent on the course and in the bar.

Thanks for letting me know about AGC. It's a carbon copy of what's happening at the many clubs that are struggling. Thanks again for the info I will include it on the GML website,

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Not sure if you received my earlier reply but thanks for the info. I will add it to the website

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Often said Nantwich should have (and surprised there isn't) a golf course, turn out once upon a time there was, that's not where I would have put it though, that's a bit too close to flooding river and the Brine Baths Hotel was there for a reason! (probably why it closed)

The original Crewe course off Weston Lane again I can understand that closure as most of those fields in that area are prone to being waterlogged too despite not being close to a river!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

In my area I know of the following

1 Dorset Heights in Blandford
2 Cheddington Court near Dorchester Dorset
3 Iford Bridge 9 hole
4 Fleming Park in Eastleigh Hants
5 Dunwood Manor

that's it for the time being

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

In my area I know of the following

1 Dorset Heights in Blandford
2 Cheddington Court near Dorchester Dorset
3 Iford Bridge 9 hole
4 Fleming Park in Eastleigh Hants
5 Dunwood Manor

that's it for the time being

Thanks a lot for the information. I need to enter Dorset Heights and Iford Bridge to the GML website. The other three are already on.

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site

nice website.... you list quite a few round here, including where I'm sat now in my living room!!!!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If anyone (former members etc) can help with information regarding recently closed courses I would love to hear from them.
Please "Contact Me" with information through my free website Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
Unfortunately there seems to be a glut of recent closures and I would like to record the history of the clubs on the website before they disappear into the ether.

This ones gone now :

http://www.ukgolfguide.com/thamesview-golf-centre

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Wow. Great thinking Blue. To be honest, I'd be knackered after 9 holes on that combination, let alone 18. Just to put this into perspective, the top part of that area (4th and 8th) were (as I understand it) built from spoil from the railway tunnel that runs along side the 4th and 8th. This explains why in heavy rain water appears halfway down the fairways on both holes. I'm still going with the club brochure at the moment though where the present West course was the original Sundridge course but that might have been before the landfill contract was up for grabs.

I'll keep on digging.

Leftie, you and me both; much as I love playing the West course, you'd need a mountain goat to carry your clubs twice round that 9. Never gave it a thought that it might have been built up from tunnel spoil, but as you say it might explain the drainage issues. Look forward to hearing what you find out.