Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Fore! where are you then?

Ardsley golf course - pre WW2 apparently!

And just found this on the village website (which I've never looked at before!!!)
http://www.ardsleyresidents.com/ardsley-history.html

ir0zk7.jpg

Last edited:

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi John, I've got a score card that also show the layout at Fleming Park if it is of any use to you.

Hi, thank you, I would very much like a scorecard of Fleming Park to put on the website. What's the best way of getting it to me. Can I PM you with my email address or postal address?

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thank you. There is an entry on the Golf's Missing Links website, just type in Norfolk Golf & Country Club in the search facility and you will see it.
if anyone has a card and/or planner for the course, or any recent pictures of the site I would love to include them on the website.
Your welcome, the course is not to far from me so I will ask the farmer (yes its farmland now!) If its ok to take some photos and I'll email them to you.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your welcome, the course is not to far from me so I will ask the farmer (yes its farmland now!) If its ok to take some photos and I'll email them to you.

Much appreciated, thanks for your help and fingers crossed with the farmer, look forward to receiving the pictures and posting them on the website.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If anyone (former members etc) can help with information regarding recently closed courses I would love to hear from them.
Please "Contact Me" with information through my free website Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
Unfortunately there seems to be a glut of recent closures and I would like to record the history of the clubs on the website before they disappear into the ether.

Can anyone give me information on Purley Chase Golf Club (is it closed), Tamworth Municipal, Martin Moor and Owmby (both in Lincolnshire)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Vaul Golf Club - Isle of Tiree. Not quite 'disappeared' but trying very hard not to be noticed (pic 1). Is this as flat and featureless as golf gets - though the very flatness makes it quite difficult. Actually other holes are not quite so 'confusing' (pic 2)- it's a glorious little 9-hole course on a glorious little island. I think it used to be 18 holes until about 1911 when 18 were consolidated into 9 (it's laid out on machair - common grazing land) and land not required went back to the machair.

You start close to one side of island (pic 1) and play to other side (pic 2) and back again

vaul.jpg vaul shore.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
John, here are some of the Lamerwood photos, including the course planner.
I'll try and take some more, but the pathway was flooded at the weekend and I didnt have my wellies. Please feel free to use any that you like.

http://s752.photobucket.com/user/rickg_01/library/Golf/Lamerwood

I was invited to play at Lamerwood a few weeks before we moved to Inverness, It was a client that was something to do with a Jap bank. a couple of Cricket mates played it a fair bit and always rated it highly.

Wish i had played it now, was too busy with the move at the time.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Vaul Golf Club - Isle of Tiree. Not quite 'disappeared' but trying very hard not to be noticed (pic 1). Is this as flat and featureless as golf gets - though the very flatness makes it quite difficult. Actually other holes are not quite so 'confusing' (pic 2)- it's a glorious little 9-hole course on a glorious little island. I think it used to be 18 holes until about 1911 when 18 were consolidated into 9 (it's laid out on machair - common grazing land) and land not required went back to the machair.

You start close to one side of island (pic 1) and play to other side (pic 2) and back again

View attachment 9005 View attachment 9006

Let's hope it can keep going!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Iford was a 9 hole and I learn to play there , it closed and part of the course ( 4 holes ) is now part of Christchurch Golf Centre , only one green of the course still remains , bit of info for you to add as a footnote maybe ...................EYG