Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Canford Magna near Poole closed this year - decent 36 hole track plus acadamy and driving range. Think they are looking to extract sand / gravel before using it for housing but planning seems to be a problem. 1000+ members at the time.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
'The Orchard Golf Course' in Huntley, Gloucestershire has closed down now for housing I believe. Shame as it was a nice 9 hole, 18 tee course that my early golf (8 - 10 years ago) was played at.

Sad news, thanks for getting in touch. I will add the clubs history to the Golf's Missing Links website.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Cranbrook Golf Club in Kent in to close at the end of the month. I was a member here last year after leaving Ashford, it was a nice, tight difficult course but in the wrong location to attract a steady membership.

https://www.cranbrookgolfclub.co.uk/

Dear Member,

It is well documented that most Golf Clubhouses throughout the UK operate at a financial loss.

At the beginning of April 2016 we relocated our Clubhouse operation from the Oast Clubhouse to the Golf Pavilion. This move corrected the financial losses accruing each year at the Oast Clubhouse and allowed us to charge arguably the best value membership fees in the South East.

We hoped that introducing affordable annual golf membership would negate the yearly membership dropouts. This would then gradually progress to an increase in membership numbers and the additional revenue would provide the capital investment for the purchase of new machinery and course improvements making the Club financially sustainable.

Unfortunately the results of our recent membership survey asking members whether they would be rejoining the club for the year ahead highlighted that 35% of all current members would not be renewing their membership on April 1st.

For a number of years we have been hoping that the government would correct the VAT distortion that exists between clubs like ourselves and member owned clubs.
To explain this, member owned Lamberhurst Golf Club charge £1,250.00 for their annual membership and because they are not liable for VAT payments they receive the full £1,250.00 whereas we charge £599.00 for our annual membership and because we are liable for the VAT payment we receive only £499.00.
This VAT distortion also continues where all member owned golf clubs receive the full amount from green fee and society revenues whereas we receive only 80% of all such income.

Following recent communications it has now become evident that the government has no intention of changing the VAT golf payment system. A combination of the new membership year dropouts and having to pay 20% of all our revenues to the government makes our club financially unviable. Therefore it is with great reluctance and sadness that after operating our Club for 30 years we have to inform you that Cranbrook Golf Club will cease trading and close on the 31st March 2018.

We very much appreciate the support you have given to the Club over the years.

Our very best wishes for your future golf.

Yours sincerely,

The Directors
Cranbrook Golf Club.

D

Deleted member 23344

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, but Beckenham Place Park in South East London closed last year ... not sure if I missed it, but I couldn’t see it on the website.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sad news about yet more closures. My gut feeling is that proprietary clubs are struggling more than private members clubs although no facts to back it up.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Hi John
Are you aware that Park Hill GC in Leicestershire closed recently and is to be redeveloped into a training ground For Leicester City FC.
Also The former Oadby Golf Course is to open as nine holer and driving range later in the year.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sad news about yet more closures. My gut feeling is that proprietary clubs are struggling more than private members clubs although no facts to back it up.

Don't count on it, many clubs (mine included) are slow to address the rise in members falling into veteran category and along with a fall in ordinary members. Those who heavily discount the vet's fees may find financial trouble around the corner and if that happens then the inevitable will follow shortly afterwards.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Don't count on it, many clubs (mine included) are slow to address the rise in members falling into veteran category and along with a fall in ordinary members. Those who heavily discount the vet's fees may find financial trouble around the corner and if that happens then the inevitable will follow shortly afterwards.

Martin, i think the opposite , clubs should be trying to attract more of the over 65 year old group, at a reduced fee for limited MIDWEEK membership.
Maybe even a 2/ 3 day midweek membership, I know our course is usually quiet Mondays Wednesdays and Thursdays.
These [ Us] guys have disposable income and are more inclined to spend money behind the bar , and will probably stay as member till they pop their socks.
I know we must encourage the younger generation, with reduced fees, but the majority of them will leave when they have to pay the full whack.
But hopefully they'll come back when finances allow.
Only opinion of course .:cheers:

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Martin, i think the opposite , clubs should be trying to attract more of the over 65 year old group, at a reduced fee for limited MIDWEEK membership.
Maybe even a 2/ 3 day midweek membership, I know our course is usually quiet Mondays Wednesdays and Thursdays.
These [ Us] guys have disposable income and are more inclined to spend money behind the bar , and will probably stay as member till they pop their socks.
I know we must encourage the younger generation, with reduced fees, but the majority of them will leave when they have to pay the full whack.
But hopefully they'll come back when finances allow.
Only opinion of course .:cheers:

I’d like to see how the books balance at a club that encourages that. Same outgoings, reduced membership and further discounted fees = Commercial suicide.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Freshwater bay had a course that closed after world war 2. Some of the bunkers are still evident. It was right on top of the cliff in the isle of wight