Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If anyone (former members etc) can help with information regarding recently closed courses I would love to hear from them.
Please "Contact Me" with information through my free website Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
Unfortunately there seems to be a glut of recent closures and I would like to record the history of the clubs on the website before they disappear into the ether.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

I was amazed to find out from John's website that there used to be an 18 hole golf course at Nast Hyde Hatfield.......I live right on top of this and would have been able to see it from my upstairs window.....I can't find out much about it on the web.....intrigued now....will have to do some digging...
Thanks for this John... :thup:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

If anyone (former members etc) can help with information regarding recently closed courses I would love to hear from them.
Please "Contact Me" with information through my free website Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
Unfortunately there seems to be a glut of recent closures and I would like to record the history of the clubs on the website before they disappear into the ether.
Can't help him with info - but it's a really interesting website and worth a look.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Maybe, I hope so. It's a good little starter course and nice range facilities. There is potential for the right owner.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Amazing website - and fantastic work you're doing in preserving the memory of these courses!

Turns out there was one back home about 5 minutes from my house near St Annes Old Links on what is now Blackpool Airport ground (or close to).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Agreed, great web site. Never knew that there was a golf course in Oakham or that there used to be 2 other golf courses in Grantham

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

jimbob, yes that was the former Blackpool South Shore Golf Club at Squires Gate. If you enter the full name (Blackpool Golf Club) in the search facility it will bring up the history found so far.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Very good website as others have said, but the pedant in me must point out that Gloucestershire should be in the South West section, not the Central West section.

I'm relatively new to the game, so afraid I can't help with any additional content but this makes for very good reading for me. :thup:

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Just to add more, I've now read about the course which was walking distance from my home (Brockworth). The road there is still called Golf Course Lane although I didn't previously know anything of the history, so thank you! For info, the airfield that took over the land was the location of the first British jet aircraft test flights.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hi John,
I can't find anything else about the course at Nast Hyde (hertfordshire)....where did you get your original information, I'd really like to follow it up a bit more.