Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

The 1914 information was from the Nisbet's Golf Yearbook. The other information was from a newspaper report I came across.

D

Deleted member 17920

Hi John,

Dont know of you are interested in 9 hole courses as well.

martin moor near Lincoln closed a couple of years ago. BobMac who is on here was the pro there.
owmby golf club shut last year and turned back to farmland
south park golf club took over from the closed south cliffs golf club you wrote about, the council shut it in 2000ish. 12 holes and the greens were vey good iirc.

Also if my sources are correct there are 3 more clubs in Lincolnshire with a serious possibility of closure this year.1 has just gone into administration and I really hope that they all pultt through and this time next year golfers are still playing on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi Lincoln,

Yes, trying I'm to record the history of all clubs and courses that have closed, including 9 holers. Some of the earlier clubs played over 6 holes.
I will see if I can find anything on Martin Moor and Owmby.
It's really sad that but there seems to be a lot of clubs in trouble at the moment. I have about 10 closures to add to the Golf's Missing Links website in the near future (I have to make sure that they have definitely closed before entering them).
John.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hi John.

Interesting site you have there.

Just a bit of "local knowledge" that you may not have picked up on. Tooting Bec GC was also sometimes known as Pollards Hill GC. OS maps drawn in the 1930's varied on what they called it. By the late 1930's/early 1940's new housing was encroaching on the course and it had been completely disappeared by the early/mid 1950's. Everything that is apart from the clubhouse which was still selling good cheap beer and had several snooker tables when I joined for a short time in 1970. Alas, that has now also been replaced by housing.

Were you also aware that The Addington GC had a second 18 hole course (on the other side of Shirley Church Road) that opened in 1923. I believe that one was for summer use and the other for winter although which one was used by the ladies, and at what times, I don't know. During World War Two, the New Course was appropriated for military purposes and in 1944 Croydon Corporation recommended it for compulsory purchase to alleviate a housing shortage. Another golf course gone.

You have stumped me regarding the New Addington Golf Course. Pity that there is no further info on name of road etc.

Last edited:

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi Leftie,

Didn't realise Tooting Bec was known as Pollards Hill I thought they were seperate clubs. Was the clubhouse with the cheap ale Pollards Hill?

Ever since I started this research lark I have been a bit confused about the Addington courses. But I have checked a 1930s O.S map and I can see what you mean about The Addington course crossing Shirley Church Road towards what is now Shrublands Grove. I think this course is well worth a mention on the Golf's Missing Links website (didn't realise there was a winter and summer course)

The New Addington Club appears in the Golfer's Handbook in the 1930s but only the address is given (Quarter Deck). I'm beginning to think it may have been an Artisan club that played on one of the other Addington courses, but not sure!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

The former course on Lindisfarne is situated on great ground for a golf course.

Shame it is no more. My pal and a golfing partner lives on the island and we have often joked about opening it back up again!

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Cheers Dodger,

Seems like another course I need to add to the Golf's Missing Links website. If you have any further info please let me know. Do you know its exact location?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was always under the impression that it was the clubhouse of Pollards Hill GC. Tooting Bec is quite a way from Pollards Hill but the map you gave matched up. Just to make sure I looked it up on www.old-maps.co.uk. Some of the 1930's maps showed the land as Tooting Bec GC and others at a larger scale showed it as Pollards Hill GC. On later maps it was Pollards Hill.

If there is any info you need about Addington courses, please ask. All being well, I will be playing in a senior's friendly at The Add in a few months time and if the right gentleman (phrase used loosely as he is Welsh and an ex rugby player) is there, I will try to get a bit more info as I believe that he is doing a bit of research on the club.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The former course on Lindisfarne is situated on great ground for a golf course.

Shame it is no more. My pal and a golfing partner lives on the island and we have often joked about opening it back up again!

Yes, must confess to looking at that land and thinking that is was superb site for a golf course.
Never realised that it once was.

The tees and greens of the Royal Isle of Wight course at The Duver, Bembridge can more or less still be seen. Another very natural site.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Have had a look at Old Maps and the Tooting Bec course on the 1914-20 map was near enough were the Harris Academy and School is nowadays. Pollards Hill in the 1930s is a bit further south of Galpin's Road.
I had a look at The Addington Golf Club history page yesterday and it answers the question about "New Addington" There is also a plan of the new course which I will have a go at copying, there are a couple of pictures of the course I would like to use, perhaps you could ask the Welsh gentleman if he has any pictures.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site

Hi John

Mountain Lakes just outside Cardiff closed last year. There is also a 9 hole course on the same site which the new owners have saved for now. Mountain lakes was the 18 hole course which is now some sort of activity ranch for kids, swings and slides all over the old 18th green, heartbreaking.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi John

Mountain Lakes just outside Cardiff closed last year. There is also a 9 hole course on the same site which the new owners have saved for now. Mountain lakes was the 18 hole course which is now some sort of activity ranch for kids, swings and slides all over the old 18th green, heartbreaking.

Thanks for confirming the closure of Mountain Lakes, visited the site last year and everything seemed in limbo. I didn't include it on Golf's Missing Links because I wasn't sure it had actually closed. I will now include it. Do you know the date it closed?

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site

Thanks for confirming the closure of Mountain Lakes, visited the site last year and everything seemed in limbo. I didn't include it on Golf's Missing Links because I wasn't sure it had actually closed. I will now include it. Do you know the date it closed?

Sorry I don't know the exact date I would guess it officially closed around June/July of last year.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hi John,

Dont know of you are interested in 9 hole courses as well.

martin moor near Lincoln closed a couple of years ago. BobMac who is on here was the pro there.
owmby golf club shut last year and turned back to farmland
south park golf club took over from the closed south cliffs golf club you wrote about, the council shut it in 2000ish. 12 holes and the greens were vey good iirc.

Also if my sources are correct there are 3 more clubs in Lincolnshire with a serious possibility of closure this year.1 has just gone into administration and I really hope that they all pultt through and this time next year golfers are still playing on them.

Tried to contact Bobmac by email but not heard anything yet,

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I believe that was Bearwood - apparently a 9-holer close to, but not to be confused with, Bearwood Lakes.

Still there - at Sindlesham - pass it on my way to the office. Went in one day thinking it was where @Ethan plays - and that got me wondering...I soon guessed it couldn't be Bearwood Lakes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm guessing you are more interested in current or recent clubs disappearing - as there will be lots relocating (present day and historically) rather than folding. However Eastwood Golf Club is interesting for more than the move - it moved as the suburbs of Glasgow developed and the GC moved south onto the moors.

They also claim to be originators of 3-ball medal group!

http://www.eastwoodgolfclub.co.uk/club_history/