Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

I think this one is a gonner - website says undergoing refurbishment but has been like that all year (at least) and I was told they were "considering not reopening at all" Not a huge surprise as when I used to play it 6 or 7 years ago it was always deserted...

http://www.thestables-doncaster.co.uk/golf/about-the-course.html

Cheers thank you for the lead. It's looks as though that could be it for the Stables, keep my eye on it!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I think this one is a gonner - website says undergoing refurbishment but has been like that all year (at least) and I was told they were "considering not reopening at all" Not a huge surprise as when I used to play it 6 or 7 years ago it was always deserted...

http://www.thestables-doncaster.co.uk/golf/about-the-course.html

I just took a look a the website, some unusual yardage/par combinations, for instance:
1st = P4 @ 229 yards
2nd = P5 @ 414 yards
9th = P4 @ 239 yards
And there are two other par 4s of below 270 yards.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

The Robin Hood Inn, Chesterfield Road, Baslow, Derbyshire used to have it's own little 6 hole par 3 course. The pub has relatively recently come under new owners and undergone a big refurbishment - no mention on their website of the 6 hole course - has it gone?

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site

I just took a look a the website, some unusual yardage/par combinations, for instance:
1st = P4 @ 229 yards
2nd = P5 @ 414 yards
9th = P4 @ 239 yards
And there are two other par 4s of below 270 yards.

Yep!!!! the first was the easiest hole, it's the one in the photo, as long as you didn't clip the trees in front of the tee (I'm sure the gap was actually smaller than shown in that pic) the green was easily reachable and was steeply banked up behind so was hard to run through... even if you missed all that was left was a chip and a putt (or 2)...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

John (and B in M). I've got some more info on Elmstead Woods GC and changes over the years at Sundridge Park

Elmstead Woods GC was formed in 1907 as a 9 holes (played twice) and occupied the parkland to the south of the Mansion. The area is now holes 2 - 8 and 12 - 14 of the current East course. Original entrance fee for full members was 1 guinea (£1.05) and annual subs 3 1/2 guineas.

The original Sundridge Park 18 holes comprised the current 1 - 3, 10 - 18 of the West. The rest of the course was in a triangle to the north of New Street Hill (as is now) and bounded on the other two sides by the railway lines. This area is now covered by housing.

The 9 hole course for the ladies was to the west of the current West course and is now some tennis courts and allotments.

So effectively, Elmstead Woods GC has disappeared but in a new guise, 8 holes of the original Sundridge Park West course have gone as have the 9 hole ladies course.

John, I will get a bit more info scanned and PM'd to you soon.

Thanks Leftie, I will sit down with the A - Z and digest that little lot tomorrow. Any chance you could PM the stuff to me as well, having played there over the years and seen a few changes I'd be interested to se how it all started.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Will do Blue.

Not sure about copyright issues, but if you don't say anything ...... :whistle:

I've also dug out some old maps if you need them.

John. The 9 hole was for the Sundridge Park Ladies to the west of the West if you know what I mean. :mmm:

Looks like no golf tomorrow (again, or is that still?) so I will scan and PM both of you with a bit more info as I am going stir crazy.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The Robin Hood Inn, Chesterfield Road, Baslow, Derbyshire used to have it's own little 6 hole par 3 course. The pub has relatively recently come under new owners and undergone a big refurbishment - no mention on their website of the 6 hole course - has it gone?

I will have a dig and see if I can find anything.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yep!!!! the first was the easiest hole, it's the one in the photo, as long as you didn't clip the trees in front of the tee (I'm sure the gap was actually smaller than shown in that pic) the green was easily reachable and was steeply banked up behind so was hard to run through... even if you missed all that was left was a chip and a putt (or 2)...

How long has it been having this refurb?

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Will do Blue.

Not sure about copyright issues, but if you don't say anything ...... :whistle:

I've also dug out some old maps if you need them.

John. The 9 hole was for the Sundridge Park Ladies to the west of the West if you know what I mean. :mmm:

Looks like no golf tomorrow (again, or is that still?) so I will scan and PM both of you with a bit more info as I am going stir crazy.

Keep whistling! Found the tennis courts and allotments near Hall's Farm (location of the former ladies course) can't find a course marked on any early O.S maps though (not uncommon), do you know how long it was in existence?
I can't see any course marked south of the mansion. I have been looking on maps just before and just after WW1. The Elmstead club would have been around then.
It looks as though you will have to take up indoor bowls for a month or two.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If anyone (former members etc) can help with information regarding recently closed courses I would love to hear from them.
Please "Contact Me" with information through my free website Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
Unfortunately there seems to be a glut of recent closures and I would like to record the history of the clubs on the website before they disappear into the ether.

Just seen a thread that says that the North Worcestershire Golf Course is likely to disappear under housing.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

John,

Have found out today that Royal Norwich golf club is to be built on in the very near future, as a part of this deal they are buying another local golf course (Weston Park) closing it down and completely rebuilding the golf course over the next two years before reopening as an incarnation of Royal Norwich, not sure of the finer details but I do understand this is causing a bit of debate between the two clubs.....

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

John,

Have found out today that Royal Norwich golf club is to be built on in the very near future, as a part of this deal they are buying another local golf course (Weston Park) closing it down and completely rebuilding the golf course over the next two years before reopening as an incarnation of Royal Norwich, not sure of the finer details but I do understand this is causing a bit of debate between the two clubs.....

That would be a shame, never good to see an old course with some history disappear, but the website confirms what you're saying.

http://www.royalnorwichgolf.co.uk/images/stories/website-press-release.pdf

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

John,

Wow that is a suprise, ive played Royal Norwich quite a few times and its a great track, they can build another but wheres the history??

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I assume the Weston Park members will be allowed to join RN.

I would guess so but for at least two years there will be no club at Weston Park as I understand it, during this time RN will be developed so this will be closing holes in stages and adjusting the layout putting in temporary holes.

I would of thought with the money they are looking at spending and the land there they could build the new course with the old course in place two years with no club is a long time and people quickly move on.

I know Weston Park is already a very busy club so I guess the members would be somewhat unhappy, the clubs are a little way apart too around ten miles.

I think it's a shame for Weston Park, there is other land and other not so well run golf clubs that imho RN could of looked into taking over ahead of Weston Park which from what I hear is a well run popular club.