Golf Clubs and Courses that have disappeard

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Re: John Llewellyn

Monte Mayor in Malaga was a lovely course, a hidden gem. Sadly that has been closed.

It was an absolute Gem and I was lucky enough to get to play it whilst I was there. Looks like the club ran out of money, was always going to be difficult being right up a mountain!

Played here as an out and out beginner, had to borrow some balls to finish the round. Seems I'll not get chance to get my revenge now.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Played here as an out and out beginner, had to borrow some balls to finish the round. Seems I'll not get chance to get my revenge now.

As spectacular as it was, Monte Mayor was definitely not a Course for beginners!

The incredible thing about the course was the 18th, the rest of the course is brilliant well designed over an incredible terrain but then the 18th, struck me that they'd finished building then realised they'd only made 17 holes but luckily had 120yards of grass left near the clubhouse so stuck the 18th on this flat (relative) piece of land that looked nothing like the rest of it!

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

As spectacular as it was, Monte Mayor was definitely not a Course for beginners!

The incredible thing about the course was the 18th, the rest of the course is brilliant well designed over an incredible terrain but then the 18th, struck me that they'd finished building then realised they'd only made 17 holes but luckily had 120yards of grass left near the clubhouse so stuck the 18th on this flat (relative) piece of land that looked nothing like the rest of it!

Great piece of course design!

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site

Too true cookelad
Went from there to the relative calm of the Mijas courses , Los Olivios I think one was called, then back to Allurhin and La Cala North for another spanking. It's a wonder I didn't give up after that. BTW favourite course thereabouts... Santa Maria.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

John,

I drove past another lost course today, Haven Pastures Golf Club near Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire.

I played it once about 7 or 8 years ago and it was relatively new then, I think the location did for it, a bit remote and very close to the established Henley Golf & Country Club. Reading some of the links below there was a name change at some point to Beaudesert Park Golf Club.

It looks to have been closed for a couple of years now but as I remember it it had potential as a course with some good changes of elevation and a few water hazards in place.

If you go on Google Maps you can still make out the layout about 1.5 miles North of Henley-in-Arden, buggy paths are still visible and the odd green silhouette can be made out.

See also:
http://www.ukgolfguide.com/haven-pastures-golf-club
http://www.englishgolf-courses.co.uk/warwickshire/havenpastures.php
http://www.golftoday.co.uk/clubhouse/coursedir/warwickshire/havenpastures.html

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thanks a lot for the info on Haven Pastures/Beaudesert Park. I will put something together for the former club and include it on www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
It's important we try and preserve the history of these former clubs and courses, it's incredible how quickly they are forgotten.
Thanks again!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

Such a good project.

Was just thinking about courses that fell into dis-use and then were revived. Wonder how many ever get a new lease of life. Turnberry of course springs to mind and Princes was also turned over to the military during WW2.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the golfsmissinglinks.co.uk website.

Yes, I believe that there were many that were either partially or totally taking over during both World Wars mainly for food production or military exercises, the latter very often resulting in severe damage to the course. Many, thankfully, were revived quite quickly and are still going strong today. Others took many years to re-establish and I have recorded the early lost history of these (when known) on the website.

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site

Ardsley golf course - pre WW2 apparently!

And just found this on the village website (which I've never looked at before!!!)
http://www.ardsleyresidents.com/ardsley-history.html

ir0zk7.jpg

Just been looking at the deeds for my house and there's a map that clearly shows the old golf course - never noticed it when we bought the house!

G

guest100718

Milbrook nr Newgate street. It was a dump though and wont be missed!

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thanks a lot for the additional information on Martin Moor I will add it to the Golf's Missing Links website. If you happen to come across any pictures of the former course I would love to add them to the website also.
Cheers, John.