GM King Of Kings Competition 2014- YOUR VIEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to pick up the baton on this and get the ball rolling as the early bird catches the worm........

Well done everybody for adding your name and location on the previous thread. This was useful and shows that there is a great deal of interest in an event.

Due to the large response and widespread location of forum members, I feel that it will be too difficult to organise FAIR and INEXPENSIVE matchplay ties to knock out the majority of the entrants before the big final. Going by the responses, in order to whittle it down to 4 players going to a final, those in Scotland might have to only play a couple of ties, whilst those in the London area might have to play a lot more.

The easiest way I see this getting run is by holding a number of regional events e.g.

1. SCOTLAND
2. NORTH EAST
3. NORTH WEST
4. EAST MIDLANDS
5. WEST MIDLANDS
6. SOUTH EAST
7. LONDON
8. SOUTH WEST

Prior to each event, entrants stick £10 into a paypal account. The money will then be split between the 8 regional winners which will help pay for their final fees at a decent course.

On the final day, those who did not win the regional heats can still book a place at the final event and compete for a runner's up trophy. This meets the objective of a fun, lively, busy forum event and would also help us command discounted fees which in turn would mean hosting the event at a better course.

All of the above is relatively easy to sort out. The only issue would be the format of play.

I need to know whether you would be interested in taking part in a regional event and a final (win or lose) if the competition was NOT in matchplay format.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
is JO aware that you have decided that you dont want it to be matchplay and are doing it this way?

Personally would much prefer the matchplay idea, there will be plenty of local meets through the year as there always is and the matchplay idea was something a bit different

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be up for playing in it, in whatever format the majority decided to go for.

My own 2p worth for what it's worth would be to split it into 16 regions and introduce an extra round of matchplay. For example winner of north-east region v winner of north west region head to head for a place in the final. And then matchplay finals probably have to be over 2 days to get it down from 8 to 4 and then to 2 for the final.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
And to be clear, I would PREFER it to be matchplay format but I think it's unrealistic to expect finalists to be willing to play over a 2 day final. If anyone has any better ideas, or is willing to take charge and organise it, then please jump in! :thup:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And to be clear, I would PREFER it to be matchplay format but I think it's unrealistic to expect finalists to be willing to play over a 2 day final. If anyone has any better ideas, or is willing to take charge and organise it, then please jump in! :thup:

Can't see how you plan to get it down from 8 players to 2 for the final in one day. Quarter finals 8 players down to 4. Semi final 4 players down to 2. Final 2 players. Need three rounds for that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So youve decided you dont like the matchplay format so are changing it? When was a 2 day final ever part of the idea? The advantage of the matchplay is the majority of the organisation is passed down to the individuals themselves, whereas here you have to organise at least 9 forum meets!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The matchplay idea seems to have caught the imagination of the forum so I would possibly stick to that even though I think the regional thing is still a nice idea. That's maybe for another time since theres a lot of names for the matchplay format.

You can still regionalise the whole comp and organise it so every player has a similar amount of work to get to the final.

Maybe the final should be one day only though and the semis seperate at a decent course which has equal travelling for the participants?

Semis and final both subsidised by the entry fees. This makes it open to all.

Everybody can manage 18 in a day surely? :D

DCB

Visit site
Don't bite his head off ;) Virtuocity has asked for comments, but,with over 80 players on the list is matchplay really an option for the early stages ?

Be constructive and see where this goes. The OP has at least stuck his head above the parapet in order to get this moving again. If it is to happen everything has to be in place before the start of next season so people know where they stand.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't bite his head off ;) Virtuocity has asked for comments, but,with over 80 players on the list is matchplay really an option for the early stages ?

Be constructive and see where this goes. The OP has at least stuck his head above the parapet in order to get this moving again. If it is to happen everything has to be in place before the start of next season so people know where they stand.

Just as an example

80-40-20-10-5-2-1 Would need one player to get a bye at the 5 stage in this case.

7 wins to become forum king of kings isn't too much to ask is it? :D

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just as an example

80-40-20-10-5-2-1 Would need one player to get a bye at the 5 stage in this case.

7 wins to become forum king of kings isn't too much to ask is it? :D

much better way is to work back? 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-80, means there are 32 invovlved in a premlim round ?

opinions still seem to be split whats the chances of both types of event running and a big finals day in late sept for both?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow caaaaaaaaaalm down dears!

Matchplay or bust then.

What happens if it gets to a final 16 with 14 players from London, one from Wales and another from Scotland? Or even if someone is faced with a two hour drive in round 3?

Just trying to keep everyone happy folks and willing to put in the man hours to make it happen, so let's keep it civil!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What happens if it gets to a final 16 with 14 players from London, one from Wales and another from Scotland? Or even if someone is faced with a two hour drive in round 3?

That might actually turn out to be a bit of a bonus. The entry money could then be used to get the people from Wales and Scotland down to a course near London for the final. Rather than having a full spread across the country and everyone having a smaller amount to go towards travel/accommodation you'd have two that could then get more towards their expenses and much less for the others.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think having a national final is going to be very difficult, we have members in dover, cornwall, highlands, newcastle. lets say those 4 get to the final 4! nightmare.

Personally..... i would break it down to regions, or even sub regions.. South, North, Scotland, Ireland, Wales (or whatever) I personally would not travel to say York to play in it. Thats my 2p, other might! i wouldnt..

IF say the southern winner wants to play the northern winner, to be England champion, good for them.. I still think best way though is to get 5 guys like Virtuocity who will take care of the admin for their region, then just have a regional hall of fame...

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
That might actually turn out to be a bit of a bonus. The entry money could then be used to get the people from Wales and Scotland down to a course near London for the final. Rather than having a full spread across the country and everyone having a smaller amount to go towards travel/accommodation you'd have two that could then get more towards their expenses and much less for the others.

I would not want to be in charge of people's entrance fees if it was to be used for a discretionary fund. It should be stated up front what people are paying good money for!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The semis and final should be held at places that take into account where the people are from imo.

Imagine setting the final in Hampshire and then 2 from Inverness get to the final :D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Arent we in danger of just rehashing the arguments on the other thread? The earlier in the comp it is the more local the game will be, the more games you win the further you'll have to travel (and may need to play at neutral venues half way between). Seriously think we should just go with James original idea, put a deadline on entries, anyone who has paid is in anyone who hasnt isnt then someone has the fun task of sitting down with a big map and working out the draw :) Then work out a final date and work backwards for a deadline for each round (and clear rules as to what happen if game hasnt been played). If it works great, if it doesnt then so be it (I actually expect once money is asked for we may not get as many entrants as people think)

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arent we in danger of just rehashing the arguments on the other thread? The earlier in the comp it is the more local the game will be, the more games you win the further you'll have to travel (and may need to play at neutral venues half way between). Seriously think we should just go with James original idea, put a deadline on entries, anyone who has paid is in anyone who hasnt isnt then someone has the fun task of sitting down with a big map and working out the draw :) Then work out a final date and work backwards for a deadline for each round (and clear rules as to what happen if game hasnt been played). If it works great, if it doesnt then so be it (I actually expect once money is asked for we may not get as many entrants as people think)

Agree with this.

Deadline needs to be set for entrants.

Collect dough to see who is serious.

Work out the draw, rules, format etc.

Go :fore:

Status
Not open for further replies.