Getting value from two (local) club memberships?

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I've been thinking about joining a second club for a year just to see how it goes. Unfortunately, both would be parkland courses that would be muddy all winter. But the 2nd course would be within walking distance for me (about 1.7miles). I don't know if there is a "dry" course anywhere near Harrogate.
I can’t think of one, I’ve got a country membership it’s a bit of a drive but a great course and is generally dry and not too expensive. Actually has two courses so plan will be to make a fee wkend out of it. COVID screwed my plan last year!

Mandofred

Visit site
I can’t think of one, I’ve got a country membership it’s a bit of a drive but a great course and is generally dry and not too expensive. Actually has two courses so plan will be to make a fee wkend out of it. COVID screwed my plan last year!
Where was the course you mentioned? I've thought (only for a few seconds, just too far) about something like Cleveland/Redcar......I wondered about Wike being wet or not. All I know is all the immediately local courses stay pretty muddy.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have found it difficult to justify two club memberships with a young family over the last few years and both are close, within 8 miles where I can be door to tee from anywhere between 10 to 25 minutes depending which course I’m playing. Main pressure is work, which eats into family time, which eats into spare time, which eats into golf time and so on.

Personally I would play Fairmont before you considered a regular 1h15m there being good value. You may also need to factor in the cost of your car surviving the punishment of the east Fife potholes. :LOL:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m a member of 2 courses, but like others have said I don’t get value for money, I’ve played Fortrose 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months and last played Inverness in September!!
With a young family and work it’s almost impossible to get the spare time to go out.
Ill probably keep on paying though in the hope I can get out more.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’m a member of 2 courses, but like others have said I don’t get value for money, I’ve played Fortrose 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months and last played Inverness in September!!
With a young family and work it’s almost impossible to get the spare time to go out.
Ill probably keep on paying though in the hope I can get out more.

thing is though Brian, by the sound of things even popping to Calcabock for a few holes is almost out of the question now, all the guys that are also Nairn members are all complaining they can't get on its so busy, even before lock down. al least F&R you have more chance of some winter golf... and its quite PM

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have found it difficult to justify two club memberships with a young family over the last few years and both are close, within 8 miles where I can be door to tee from anywhere between 10 to 25 minutes depending which course I’m playing. Main pressure is work, which eats into family time, which eats into spare time, which eats into golf time and so on.

Personally I would play Fairmont before you considered a regular 1h15m there being good value. You may also need to factor in the cost of your car surviving the punishment of the east Fife potholes. :LOL:
TBH i wouldn't drive 20 mins to play there let alone from the other side of the Forth:LOL:

peld

Visit site
TBH i wouldn't drive 20 mins to play there let alone from the other side of the Forth:LOL:
if I want some links/winter golf my options are East Lothian or Fife. Although East Lothian is a bit nearer, everywhere is either full or £££.
I played one of the Fairmont courses a few years ago and it was ok. I think The £300 10 round membership offers an easy introduction to test whether I’ll get value from it, and I know it’s not as busy as some other courses in the area. Two courses also add a bit of variety too.

And finally it’s free as I just cashed out some crypto with a few hundred quid profit ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if I want some links/winter golf my options are East Lothian or Fife. Although East Lothian is a bit nearer, everywhere is either full or £££.
I played one of the Fairmont courses a few years ago and it was ok. I think The £300 10 round membership offers an easy introduction to test whether I’ll get value from it, and I know it’s not as busy as some other courses in the area. Two courses also add a bit of variety too.

And finally it’s free as I just cashed out some crypto with a few hundred quid profit ;)

TBH i'd have thought your original OP option would be better than going to FM. what about Dunbar, its a great course

peld

Visit site
Craigielaw is on the shortlist too, but..... a) I know it gets quite busy in winter as a pay and play b) at £1k it’s at a funny price point where I’m not forcing myself to go (like Archerfield) but it’s not a throwaway amount like Fairmount c) just has one (proper) course.

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I am in a similar situation t the OP although the other way around. Currently live in Glasgow but play in Irvine (Ayrshire) 40min drive away and play most Saturdays (when not restricted to travel) as it is linksish it is playable all year round. I used to play the local municipal course in Glasgow on a Sunday and after work during the week.

With the local municipal courses in Glasgow now closed, (one of them is due to reopen as a 9 holer run by the R&A in 2022). I find myself struggling for regular golf during the week in lighter nights and the odd Sunday game. The courses in Glasgow are all clay based so drainage is poor and not great during the winter, so I would definitely keep on my links course membership, just struggling to justify another full time private membership, I have looked at 5-day, but not a great deal less and takes away the Sunday option.

What do others that are members of 2 courses do, do you get value at both clubs, or more value at one than another?

peld

Visit site
I think you’ll always use one more than the other, the question is do you use the second one enough to justify the fees. (Or perhaps will it encourage you to play more?!)
As many have said only you can decide the financial side of things but I think the posts here can help decide what makes sense.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
thing is though Brian, by the sound of things even popping to Calcabock for a few holes is almost out of the question now, all the guys that are also Nairn members are all complaining they can't get on its so busy, even before lock down. al least F&R you have more chance of some winter golf... and its quite PM

Near damn impossible to get a tee time at Culcabock at the minute, we are only allowed 2 per week now and only once at the weekend.
Not that it’s being playable the last 3 months anyway!!

sunshine

Visit site
I am in a similar situation t the OP although the other way around. Currently live in Glasgow but play in Irvine (Ayrshire) 40min drive away and play most Saturdays (when not restricted to travel) as it is linksish it is playable all year round. I used to play the local municipal course in Glasgow on a Sunday and after work during the week.

With the local municipal courses in Glasgow now closed, (one of them is due to reopen as a 9 holer run by the R&A in 2022). I find myself struggling for regular golf during the week in lighter nights and the odd Sunday game. The courses in Glasgow are all clay based so drainage is poor and not great during the winter, so I would definitely keep on my links course membership, just struggling to justify another full time private membership, I have looked at 5-day, but not a great deal less and takes away the Sunday option.

What do others that are members of 2 courses do, do you get value at both clubs, or more value at one than another?

So you're a member at a links course and looking for a second membership at a parkland course near Glasgow. Got to be Loch Lomond

sunshine

Visit site

I'm no expert on the area, but I played one of the Fairmont courses (a long time ago) and it definitely wasn't links. Although it's on the coast I think it was built on farmland, so might not be that dry in winter. Probably best you ask the locals on here.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Where was the course you mentioned? I've thought (only for a few seconds, just too far) about something like Cleveland/Redcar......I wondered about Wike being wet or not. All I know is all the immediately local courses stay pretty muddy.
I’m a member of Woodhall Spa, it takes me 1hr 45 to get there, I don’t mind the drive and have stayed overhead a curry and played a couple of times and make a weekend of it. Redcar is an hour away and would be the best option, there aren’t many good options any closer. Think Wike closes less than the Harrogate courses but still gets wet

peld

Visit site
I'm no expert on the area, but I played one of the Fairmont courses (a long time ago) and it definitely wasn't links. Although it's on the coast I think it was built on farmland, so might not be that dry in winter. Probably best you ask the locals on here.
Ive played one of them too, and seen them several times. Whilst they aren’t pure sand like a North Berwick, they are sand based with a bit more greenery, something like the Eden

Boomy

Visit site
I’ve just joined a second local club but it was a no brainier for me cost wise, and especially compared to the prices you are talking about.

My main club fees are £550 (+ £300 joining fee in your first year) and I’ve joined a second club where the fees are £660 BUT they do a 2nd club member rate of £300 ? bargain!

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a tee time at one of them when the courses reopening booking scrum starts ?