Getting value from two (local) club memberships?

peld

Visit site
I guess there are many of you who have two memberships (im talking two local clubs rather than a second country/international type membership).

I am also thinking of joining a second club owing to difficulties with tee times and some gripes with course condition. However as its only 2 miles from my door i'm unlikely to leave as its handy to nip out for a few holes or use the range (i may downgrade it). It has two courses and about £900 p.a full fees.

The second club/course im thinking of joining however is £3k p.a. (and perhaps an £8k debenture in a few years) and 35 miles away (40 mins drive at quiet times). Obviously it's a high end club (with two links courses, so good for winter).

As a dad of two young kids, busy day job etc I get to play a weekend medal, an evening or two in the summer, and maybe another few holes at the weekend if i have a spare hour or two.

Anybody in a similar situation and do you get decent value from two memberships?

D

Deleted member 18588

Only you can decide if it represents value for money.

It's a totally subjective decision.

peld

Visit site
Paying the cash isn’t the issue, it’s whether I feel it’s enough value...(ignore he debenture as when it came to pay that I’d know it’d be my main club)
KenL the second club is in East Lothian, I’m sure you’d probably know!

D

Deleted member 21258

Done it a couple of times over the years held two full memberships at localish golf clubs and may do it this year again(but on restricted number of rounds at both).

Both times one club was more local and the other club around an hour away.

Be wary of joining somewhere and paying a big joining, based on tee time availability as at today. I have just left one of the two localish clubs due to that, when I joined and paid a large joining fee, I spoke to members/GM/board etc to ensure tee times were not a problem. Which all confirmed was not, for first 6-9 months that remained true, then since then, more members, more active members joined and tee times became a real problem at weekends. So I left after 2-3 years this month, what a waste of a joining fee. Similar story the first time as well. Learnt my lesson now, not to pay a large joining fee.:oops:

Ideally the course needs to have a restricted membership numbers by its articles, to stop that problem.

Did I ever get value for money, in straight money sense no chance, I don't play enough due to work pressures but if you can afford it that may not be a massive issue for you and there maybe other reasons to join the 2nd course, as there was for me(open all year, loving the course, different course types, like the feel of the club, choice etc). You dont quite cover why you are looking at it, would be interested to hear?

Would I do it again, yes possibly but I will do things differently if I do.

Best of luck on whatever you choose.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
For me 40mins in good traffic isn’t really another close course, that sounds quite far away, you might be better off finding somewhere an hour away for much less on a country membership (obvs I don’t know where you are or what the options are) but think you’ll get better value having a cheaper country and going fewer times over winter or when you can’t get a tee time at your current course. I had the same decision a couple of years ago and decided a smaller amount that would require less golf to get the money back made sense, it’s generally open when my home course is closed and 10 to 20 rounds works £per round

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Paying the cash isn’t the issue, it’s whether I feel it’s enough value...(ignore he debenture as when it came to pay that I’d know it’d be my main club)
KenL the second club is in East Lothian, I’m sure you’d probably know!

Yes, with you.
I had heard you could get in for more reasonable money now.

Great setup there, played one of the courses and really enjoyed it. Not sure what it is like for competitive golf if that is what you are after.

I would definitely wait until you know you would be able to travel there. Could be a while if we go back to the tier system we had prior to Xmas.

peld

Visit site
Yes, with you.
I had heard you could get in for more reasonable money now.

Great setup there, played one of the courses and really enjoyed it. Not sure what it is like for competitive golf if that is what you are after.

I would definitely wait until you know you would be able to travel there. Could be a while if we go back to the tier system we had prior to Xmas.
The membership fees have gone up since i first enquired about 13 years ago when i moved up here, but the debentures have lost value significantly (was about £15-20k, getting resold for £8-10k now)

I played one course a good while ago. Whilst i think the courses are "ok", the club atmosphere was really excellent, and you know its going to be in great nick.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having played for over 30 years I have met very few players that have two memberships and very often those that have have two residences rather than membership of two cubs in the locality.
In the end it is about what you an afford and how you want to spend your time.

The only time I have considered it was when we used to spend a lot of time at the in laws house located in Plymouth but having calculated visitor fees v membership fees I stuck with the latter.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally neither course sounds fit for purpose given your other commitments.

Course 1 due to tee times and course condition.
Course 2 due to price if value for money is your aim and the extra 1hr 20m drive each time.

Personally I'd probably choose course 1 for now given location, cope with the condition and do a few years of supplementing it by playing golf where your not a member when you have the days with free time to enjoy a good course for example (way cheaper than £3k), then join Course 2 when you have more free time.

Alternatively find a 3rd option.

If price isn't a factor then that changes, but I don't see any way you'll be getting value for money on the current plan but then value is defined differently by all.

peld

Visit site
For me 40mins in good traffic isn’t really another close course, that sounds quite far away, you might be better off finding somewhere an hour away for much less on a country membership (obvs I don’t know where you are or what the options are) but think you’ll get better value having a cheaper country and going fewer times over winter or when you can’t get a tee time at your current course. I had the same decision a couple of years ago and decided a smaller amount that would require less golf to get the money back made sense, it’s generally open when my home course is closed and 10 to 20 rounds works £per round

Interesting as there is another option like that - i can join a place thats about 1hr 15m away. Another good links with two courses that offers either 10 rounds for £300, 325 for £500 or full membership for £750. The rounds last 2 years as long as you renew the membership too.

My concern with this one is that it might just be that bit far and too much effort to use regularly, especially as ill be joining as single golfer (but i admit ive not spoken to them about thier medals/comps etc)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i've not played the course you are thinking of but Travel to the deb course would be the issue at the moment and maybe for a while yet.

I'm a member at two courses one it a stones throw from me the other is a Championship links thats 18 miles away. playable all year round where as the parkland close has been closed a fair bit the last few months be it wet or snow and ice. TBH i don't really get good value from it , i'd be suprised if i've played a dozen games last year. but just in case i did fancy a few holes on a summer evening its a nice option to have. its always tricky with extra clubs, golf is cheap up here and at one time i was a member a 5 clubs at the same time, which was a waste of money as didn't really play 3 of them at all and were a waste of money.

if you could commit to playing both at least once a week its prob worth it

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Interesting as there is another option like that - i can join a place thats about 1hr 15m away. Another good links with two courses that offers either 10 rounds for £300, 325 for £500 or full membership for £750. The rounds last 2 years as long as you renew the membership too.

My concern with this one is that it might just be that bit far and too much effort to use regularly, especially as ill be joining as single golfer (but i admit ive not spoken to them about thier medals/comps etc)

Realistically in your situation, most of your golf being played at the "second club" will be at weekends due to the young family. Id suggest this second club ticks all the boxes for what youre after and seems more flexible than the one in your OP. Maybe join on the limited rounds memberhship and see how many you use! Id keep the close by membership, if its anything like my club, tees are hard to get at peak weekend times but most summer evenings youll find a spot easily.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been thinking about joining a second club for a year just to see how it goes. Unfortunately, both would be parkland courses that would be muddy all winter. But the 2nd course would be within walking distance for me (about 1.7miles). I don't know if there is a "dry" course anywhere near Harrogate.

sunshine

Visit site
do you get decent value from two memberships?

To answer this question you need to define what value means to you. VFM is subjective, thinking about it on a cost per round basis is not the right metric for you, because in that case you would never consider two memberships let alone somewhere like Archerfield.

If you want to get value from 2 memberships you probably need to get divorced. But then the cost of your divorce might outweigh the benefits :ROFLMAO:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess there are many of you who have two memberships (im talking two local clubs rather than a second country/international type membership).

I am also thinking of joining a second club owing to difficulties with tee times and some gripes with course condition. However as its only 2 miles from my door i'm unlikely to leave as its handy to nip out for a few holes or use the range (i may downgrade it). It has two courses and about £900 p.a full fees.

The second club/course im thinking of joining however is £3k p.a. (and perhaps an £8k debenture in a few years) and 35 miles away (40 mins drive at quiet times). Obviously it's a high end club (with two links courses, so good for winter).

As a dad of two young kids, busy day job etc I get to play a weekend medal, an evening or two in the summer, and maybe another few holes at the weekend if i have a spare hour or two.

Anybody in a similar situation and do you get decent value from two memberships?
Good chance that you wouldn't be able to afford a second year there if you did join, the divorce would have wiped you out.