Geezer wants some advice

DNCgolfer

Visit site
I'm 72, and I haven't swung a club in 6 years. All of my current clubs were bought when I could get some decent distance off of the tee--perhaps 15 years ago. I realize that I will need to move up to the forward tees. I would like to have some suggestions for a driver and a 4 wood to replace what I have now. My #1 concern is to find a couple of clubs that get me farther off of the tee for par 4's and par 5's. TIA

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've been - and will be when I return to Golf after successful hip replacement - in similar position/state.
As both an Adams and Matrix fan, I was happy to purchase one of Adams's last Driver offerings that had a super-light (for the time) but 'stiff' Matrix shaft. I have a couple of 'spares' that could be going on Ebay or, for a reasonable price, on the BST here. There was a review on one of the 'recognised' sites that identified it 'ideal for Seniors' when it came out.
I've tried a Cleveland head with their 'sister brand's' (Miyazaki) ultra light (stiff) shaft (from around 10 years ago and I think I still have one of those too!) but was never totally convinced. I've never been able to properly control 'Regular' or softer shafts, but light weight Stiff ones seem a good fit.
I'd be happy to offer a 'sale or return' on either of those if you pay for postage. I'd recommend the Adams over the Cleveland as it's adjustable (triangular wrench not included) and a few years newer tech.
Edit: Here's the review - from MyGolfSpy https://mygolfspy.com/adams-speedline-tech-driver-review/
And I agree about the 4-wood. I bought a couple of Adams adjustable XTD woods (nominally 15* but adjustable either way) and made them into 4 and 2 woods. The 2 doesn't get much play and it (and my swing) is a bit unreliable, but the 4 is a beauty - and even a bit 'workable' too.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Go round your local pro shops and try out a few second hand clubs on a range/course.
Don't be looking at anything stiff, x-stiff, even regular might be too much.
Explain to the pro your situation and let him guide you down the seniors shaft route. Don't let your ego stop you trying ladies clubs too.
12 deg ish for the driver and 16-18 for the 4 wood.
Lastly if you stick with the main names, you won't go far wrong. Ping G10 would be my personal choice
Are you in the US?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I read an article recently where someone in similar circumstances to you was using a five wood shaft in his driver and it gave him some impressive improvements. Worth considering.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve recently took up golf after a 13 year break. I’ve bought a 12 degree driver (adjustable) a 5 wood and a hybrid and the gaps in between are not too big.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First thing I would do is try to get your swing speed rated and buy shafts to suit the swing speed. Age is no guide to swing speed. I am somewhere near you age and the last fitting I had the pro recommended stiff flex. One of the things I have learnt to accept is less distance with age.

You really need to tell us what you have now as some might recommend the same thing as you have now e.g I see some one recommending a G10 which was released not far off the time you mention.

Without knowing what you have look at any driver and 3/5 wood within the past 10 years which is adjustable which also means you can change the shaft.