Foursome's golf = CRAP

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was asked to step in and take over for someone in a Winter Foursomes Match today, and what a lovely day it was too.

However, I am now keen to avoid ever having to play Foursomes ever again, its rubbish !

You just dont seem to get into the game at all, and in fact, it was the 3rd Green before I even had to take a putt, which I then promptly left waayyyyyyy short.
Partners putting you behind trees, putting your partner into the trees, avoiding saying 'sorry' for any errant shot, blah blah, the list goes on.
The game is hard enough without all these rubbish distractions, so its a format I will be actively avoiding in the future.

Oh, and we lost 5/4 to a couple of very nice guys, who off 4 & 5, played pretty well considering the distractions we threw at them !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't mind it as a change but couldn't put up with it on a regular basis. I agree that you never feel you are in a flow and to be honest I'm way to erratic to ever be a good partner. Its a bit of fun. We have a knockout competition each summer and I'll enter it with whichever schmuck I can bribe, drug or get drunk and have a punt but never fancy my chances.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Partners putting you behind trees, putting your partner into the trees, avoiding saying 'sorry' for any errant shot, blah blah, the list goes on.

I though it was common practise to apologise for a duff shot in any form of pairs golf??? :eek:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only played it a couple of times and I didn't enjoy it at all, Greensomes is the same. Any alternate shot format is daft - I'm out there to play not watch while my "partner" stuffs me in a gorse bush!

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played it once as a junior member. I was paired with someone who I didn't get on with. We were doing fine until the 7th......
It was a morning where the ground was full of dew and we were at the side of the green for two - probably about 25 yards away. It was my shot and I decided to putt from just off the green. I got down to read the line - using the putter as a balancing aid. The putter couldn't grip the wet grass and it slipped forward - knocking the ball some ten feet toward the hole. Despite my profuse apologies my partner was less than impressed - he was even more unimpressed when we eventually lost by one shot......

I've never played the format since - probably never will. :rolleyes:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was foursomes day at my course today. Myself and my playing partner who is off 12 me being 15 at the moment!! decided on an 11.30am tee time for just a friendly afternoons round. Well he was a few minutes late and we ended up behind about 3 groups of women's fourballs which were playing in the foursome's. We were waiting 20 minutes to get away. When we did however we were not held up at all during the round mainly due to me being awful and him slightly better but not much. When we came off at the end all we could hear was people moaning about the format so I think I will steer clear of it for the forseeable future

T

thecraw

Its a difficult game and you need to stay patient and accept mistakes. Frustrating, indeed it is, good fun, well it can be I suppose.

Not my preferred choice of golf but its different and sometimes a change is needed to appreciate your own game!

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it me that only likes this format? I like this format as people always ask me how i N/R a lot and after playing this format with me they know why. They visit places of the course theyve never seen before :rolleyes: and i quite like seeing people go through what i go through every round. Its amazing how many people cant handle any sort trouble during a round due to them being in the fairways all the time.

DCB

Visit site
behind about 3 groups of women's fourballs which were playing in the foursome's

Well, that's a new one. In Foursomes, a pair plays one ball, playing alternate shots. They must have been playins something else, but it doesn't sound like foursomes. Played well it's a very fast game.

RichE

Club Champion
Visit site
It's a format i don't like one bit. Waste of your weekend round of golf - especially at this time of year when gettting one round in is a bonus. That opinion extends to summer golf as well!! :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I must be one of the few who like this format. Thoroughly enjoyed my 2 rounds of it at Gullane a couple of weeks ago. We were round in 3 hours both times so got 2 rounds in a day which is a blessing in the winter. And as for crap golf it didn't stop our opponents in the afternoon getting 4 birdies and an eagle. I guess it's where you put the ball, Chris.

;) ;)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are those that dislike the format bemoaning their poor play or the format itself??

If it's your one round for the week then fair enough, I too would rather play 18 holes with my own ball.

But I love 4somes and see it as the ultimate test of team golf. Knowing that you don't get a chance to recover yourself from a poor shot and the pressure of having to pull off a shot despite not being in a "rythmn" just makes the challenge better.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll not play it again either. Only ever played it once and it was the first comp i played in after taking the game up... put me off it for ever.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club does not tend to play foursomes as comps although we do have the occational greensome's.

We do play foursomes as one of our annual knock outs which is very well supported, also one of our biggest inter-club comps is foursomes again very well supported by local clubs.

Personaly i like the format, it's a challange, there also seems to be a unwriten rule that you never say sorry I think it's based up the presumption that people dont play poor shots deliberately.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I'm quite surprised by the hostility to foursomes in some of the replies. For me it is proper 'doubles'. To win you <u>both</u> have to play well, there are no hiding places and a foursomes medal is probably the toughest format in golf mentally to keep concentration when you may not have hit a similar shot for several holes.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have a foursomes knock out and also a greensomes knock out over the winter. I don't play in either, as standing about in rubbish weather not playing golf is not much fun.

In the spring we have a competition which is Sat/Sun/Sat of greensomes/foursomes/betterball. All stableford. This is hugely popular, and very hard to win. I wouldn't miss this one for anything. Great fun.

DCB

Visit site
well, if it's good enough for The Honourable Company.... it's got to be good enough for the rest of us.

Chill out and go out and have a crack, it's good fun.. really :D