Five over par - Pick up

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems to be the case Lou.....
I remember a medal from 20+ years ago that I won by 3 or 4 shots even though I took 9 on our par 4 first hole.
It's unlikely that it will happen but it can and does seem a little unfair when they could still be 100 yards from the green having taken 9 on a par 4 and putting 9 on the card...
How can it be right then that you can win a competition without essentially completing the whole course? I understand the logic behind the maximum score and picking up, but there needs to then be clarity and surely a degree of unity (not leaving it to individual clubs) to say it's fine for handicap purposes but any player picking up cannot win. However, the danger as I see it, is players picking up after 9 or 10 shots and that number going on the card and there being no audit trail to indicate if it was a legitimate holed out score or picked up and simply noted on the card. I agree with Louise, I'd be pretty annoyed if someone can pick up and win if I've played great golf and shot a low score off my handicap

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can it be right then that you can win a competition without essentially completing the whole course? I understand the logic behind the maximum score and picking up, but there needs to then be clarity and surely a degree of unity (not leaving it to individual clubs) to say it's fine for handicap purposes but any player picking up cannot win. However, the danger as I see it, is players picking up after 9 or 10 shots and that number going on the card and there being no audit trail to indicate if it was a legitimate holed out score or picked up and simply noted on the card. I agree with Louise, I'd be pretty annoyed if someone can pick up and win if I've played great golf and shot a low score off my handicap
Yeah, I think it overcomplicates it. Leave it as it is, finish the hole or you NR. I don't see a problem with it really.

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of panic over something that won’t affect us , these maximum comps will be used for beginners or high handicappers or people that struggle or comps that struggle with pace of play ( Seniors or some lady comps ) - 99% of us prob won’t play in them

As for the snobbery posted - it’s just typical shock posting from the expected looking for reactions - don’t feed it , every single one of us have had mares on the course at times including pros

D

Deleted member 16999

Slightly confused with wether or not they can win a comp if they pick up.
This happened in last seasons lady captains day competition, I won with a nett 70, 2nd had a nett 71 with an 11 on a par 4.

So would she have been able to pick up after 9 giving her a nett 69 and been eligible to win 1st prize, unfair on me, or would she have non been eligible to win a prize which would have been unfair on her when she actually play the hole out and won 2nd prize,

Seems a bad idea to me.
Apologies, but you’re feeding the paranoia with this rule.
Your comp last year is immaterial as it wasn’t played to the new, opitional, comp rule.
If the comp is played this year and your committee decide to make it a maximum score comp, then it is your decision as to whether you enter or not and risk the scenario you described above.
The option is designed to speed up and help with ready play, it’s not designed to deny anyone victory.
Your committee could write the Comp rules to reflect this, ie, the eligibility to win the comp is...........whilst picking up after 5 shots will be for handicap purposes only, or they write the comp rules stating max score comp and your worrying nightmare from last year happens.
Either way it will be your choice to enter or not.

D

Deleted member 21258

Been thinking about it before posting, as kind of for it but do not agree with the fact they can still win.

Seems to be bringing medal play closer to stableford play, which is a shame really as it is nice to have the two different comps in my eyes..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your comp last year is immaterial as it wasn’t played to the new, opitional, comp rule.
If the comp is played this year and your committee decide to make it a maximum score comp, then it is your decision as to whether you enter or not and risk the scenario you described above.
The option is designed to speed up and help with ready play, it’s not designed to deny anyone victory.
Your committee could write the Comp rules to reflect this, ie, the eligibility to win the comp is...........whilst picking up after 5 shots will be for handicap purposes only, or they write the comp rules stating max score comp and your worrying nightmare from last year happens.
Have to agree on that point. Moaning about losing to someone who's done that would be the same as moaning about losing a Stableford to someone who blobbed a hole or two. You'll always know the format before you enter.

D

Deleted member 16999

Have to agree on that point. Moaning about losing to someone who's done that would be the same as moaning about losing a Stableford to someone who blobbed a hole or two. You'll always know the format before you enter.
That’s why they are giving club committee’s a choice, we’re not using it, but we did ask the Ladies and Seniors Section if they wish to consider it for any of their comps, the Ladies have declined and the Seniors are debating to use it for 1 or 2 of theirs.
Anyone entering a max score comp and not asking to see the rules for the comp before playing and then moaning afterwards they don’t like the rules gets no sympathy from me.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we are really moving to a world where there will be / should be categorised competitions at all clubs.

Along the lines of single figures / 10 to 18 / 18+. It is just not right or fair that a 3 handicapper is competing against someone off 36 around a 6,000 yard members course.

Clubs can impose maximum handicaps for their 'trophies' and many will do this already with 18 generally being a cut off for a lot of opens or club competitions.
In this scenario, pretty much going to be impossible for someone to win with a quintuple bogey on their card. And if they do, it will be a once in a lifetime thing with a small field or a day of bad weather with a lot of high scoring.

An 18+ handicapper should really only be competing for his handicap or competing against high handicap golfers. Obviously people are high handicap for a number of reasons, often they are beginners or occasional players who could improve quickly and might win a few medals on the way down.

And as for the rule... I have been at a club where a guy took 24 shots to get out of a bunker on a par 3. He refused to pick up as he didn't want to NR / DQ himself and kept hacking away until he got out and marked a 27 on his card. You can imagine by then there were 6 guys on the tee waiting and this was only the 12th hole, meaning a long back 9 for the 8 other players he held up.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is a fair comment, so it would be introduced as a new type of competition separate from Medal, stableford or par comps. I have to say I cant see the point of a watered down medal when stableford works perfectly well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
However I would say that as a measure to speed up play, there are far more effective ways and this is barely going to have an impact.

Reduced rough and protecting the angles of greens would be better. i.e. less rough, but a much tougher approach if you are out wide with regards to pin placement and bunkering.

D

Deleted member 16999

That is a fair comment, so it would be introduced as a new type of competition separate from Medal, stableford or par comps. I have to say I cant see the point of a watered down medal when stableford works perfectly well.
I agree, I apologised as I didn’t want it to come across as having a go at you.
From reading the material supplied and discussions around the County, I believe it has been brought in to help the game and maybe some minor club strokeplay comps.
I’m the JLO at our place and I will be using it for 1 or 2 of our Junior Comps.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think we are really moving to a world where there will be / should be categorised competitions at all clubs.

Along the lines of single figures / 10 to 18 / 18+. It is just not right or fair that a 3 handicapper is competing against someone off 36 around a 6,000 yard members course.

Clubs can impose maximum handicaps for their 'trophies' and many will do this already with 18 generally being a cut off for a lot of opens or club competitions.
In this scenario, pretty much going to be impossible for someone to win with a quintuple bogey on their card. And if they do, it will be a once in a lifetime thing with a small field or a day of bad weather with a lot of high scoring.

An 18+ handicapper should really only be competing for his handicap or competing against high handicap golfers. Obviously people are high handicap for a number of reasons, often they are beginners or occasional players who could improve quickly and might win a few medals on the way down.

And as for the rule... I have been at a club where a guy took 24 shots to get out of a bunker on a par 3. He refused to pick up as he didn't want to NR / DQ himself and kept hacking away until he got out and marked a 27 on his card. You can imagine by then there were 6 guys on the tee waiting and this was only the 12th hole, meaning a long back 9 for the 8 other players he held up.

I think you miss the whole idea of handicaps and amateur club golf by a considerable margin

The whole idea of the handicap system is so that we can all compete together within comps - inclusivity regardless of what your ability is. There are already hundreds of different clubs around the country that allow people to play in scratch comps , mid HC comps etc

Someone playing off 36 is not going to beat someone playing of 3 unless it’s a junior improving but even then they more than likely won’t be playing in club comps anyway

Are you new to golf? Returning ?

Really poor attitude towards people with a HC of 18 and over - why ? Are you scared of them ?

I really do hope you don’t ever get involved in any decision making in regards comps and handicaps because you have a snobbish attitude

D

Deleted member 16999

However I would say that as a measure to speed up play, there are far more effective ways and this is barely going to have an impact.

Reduced rough and protecting the angles of greens would be better. i.e. less rough, but a much tougher approach if you are out wide with regards to pin placement and bunkering.
Why do that? If someone has taken 11 shots down the fairway on a par 5, pick up! Beginners, Juniors and others are not always hitting bad scores because they are off the short stuff!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

You already have 'divisions' in most competitions for this reason mate.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why do that? If someone has taken 11 shots down the fairway on a par 5, pick up! Beginners, Juniors and others are not always hitting bad scores because they are off the short stuff!

I wasn't meaning that in relation to scoring, but in relation to pace of play.

At many courses a lot of time is spent looking for balls. This also reduces the enjoyment. Obviously you aren't going to do away with all rough or places that a ball can be lost... but just some sensible / less penal areas (especially in places where people might not be able to see a wide shot land) that are common areas of ball searching. And there is obviously a difference between rough in terms of total hay or thick matted grass that hasn't had a machine through it before and an area that is mown down to a couple of inches every week or so.

With regards to pace of play, there is no magic bullet. It is marginal gains and no one should be expecting people to run or rush round the course.
* correct gaps between groups on the 1st tee
* in social games, the guy marking the card never gets the flag and whoever holes out 1st or 2nd being ready for the flag
* ready golf and people being ready to play (I'm guilty of not having my glove on in time)
* on the green, cleaning and marking your ball as early as you can (assuming you are not in anyones line)
* leaving the flag in for long putts
* ideally, fewer areas a ball can be lost
* ideally fewer blind shots
* people playing provisionals at the correct times
* picking up when they are well over for a hole

None of these on their own is suddenly going to shave half an hour off a round, but I think if there is an awareness and an attitude to get on with it, things could improve all round.