Five over par - Pick up

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If you pick up it automatically goes to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes don't really see why this 5 over nonsense is necessary. If im playing bad enough to warrant nr'ing i honestly most of the time couldnt care what my strokeplay score is, even if you are under par at the time it goes to a nett double, who really cares, if you want to keep an exact score play 3 off the tee

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some confusion here.

The R&A/USGA say
A player who does not complete a hole (often referred to informally as “picking up”) will not be disqualified, but simply gets the maximum score for the hole.

The Maximum Score form of play will be unlikely to be used for elite play, but it may be useful in many other contexts, such as for play by beginners or golfers who are less skilled or experienced and, more generally, for club level and day-to-day play when pace of play is a particular concern.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just make sure I am not getting confused

You are not considering this for all meadals are you?

My understanding is that it is a new competition format not a new rule for all medal competitions.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just make sure I am not getting confused

You are not considering this for all meadals are you?

My understanding is that it is a new competition format not a new rule for all medal competitions.

The club has the option of adopting it for all Medals (regular strokeplay now), some Medals or no Medals, just gives a bit more choice of format. It will suit some clubs and not others. We are using it as we are a fairly small club and believe it will speed up play.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly confused with wether or not they can win a comp if they pick up.
This happened in last seasons lady captains day competition, I won with a nett 70, 2nd had a nett 71 with an 11 on a par 4.

So would she have been able to pick up after 9 giving her a nett 69 and been eligible to win 1st prize, unfair on me, or would she have non been eligible to win a prize which would have been unfair on her when she actually play the hole out and won 2nd prize,

Seems a bad idea to me.

Action jackson

Visit site
The club has the option of adopting it for all Medals (regular strokeplay now), some Medals or no Medals, just gives a bit more choice of format. It will suit some clubs and not others. We are using it as we are a fairly small club and believe it will speed up play.
If it's all about pace of play then its still slower than just an nr... Pointless!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you pick up it automatically goes to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes don't really see why this 5 over nonsense is necessary. If im playing bad enough to warrant nr'ing i honestly most of the time couldnt care what my strokeplay score is, even if you are under par at the time it goes to a nett double, who really cares, if you want to keep an exact score play 3 off the tee
5 over par is a net double bogey for someone getting 3 shots on a hole

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read the Rules for a maximum score competition it is up to the committee to set the maximum score it does not have to be twice the par.

a. Overview of Maximum Score

Maximum Score is a form of stroke play where a player’s or side’s score for a hole is capped at a maximum number of strokes set by the Committee, such as two times par, a fixed number or net double bogey.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Slightly confused with wether or not they can win a comp if they pick up.
This happened in last seasons lady captains day competition, I won with a nett 70, 2nd had a nett 71 with an 11 on a par 4.

So would she have been able to pick up after 9 giving her a nett 69 and been eligible to win 1st prize, unfair on me, or would she have non been eligible to win a prize which would have been unfair on her when she actually play the hole out and won 2nd prize,

Seems a bad idea to me.
Seems to be the case Lou.....
I remember a medal from 20+ years ago that I won by 3 or 4 shots even though I took 9 on our par 4 first hole.
It's unlikely that it will happen but it can and does seem a little unfair when they could still be 100 yards from the green having taken 9 on a par 4 and putting 9 on the card...

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Five over par on the one hole, never mind picking up shoot me. Why don’t they adopt a rule that if your are five over par for the one hole then you get banned from the next 5 competitions, it would then give you time to practice 👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Five over par on the one hole, never mind picking up shoot me. Why don’t they adopt a rule that if your are five over par for the one hole then you get banned from the next 5 competitions, it would then give you time to practice 👍
I don't think Garcia would have taken too kindly to that after last year's Masters.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having read the Rules for a maximum score competition it is up to the committee to set the maximum score it does not have to be twice the par.

a. Overview of Maximum Score

Maximum Score is a form of stroke play where a player’s or side’s score for a hole is capped at a maximum number of strokes set by the Committee, such as two times par, a fixed number or net double bogey.

CONGU decrees 5 or more over par for it to be a qualifier.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Even if you're 7 or 8 years old? :unsure:

You want kids to be able to compete and enjoy themselves, any self respecting golfer knows kids should be banished from a golf course!

On a slightly different note our membership went up last year, struggling to get members 5-35, any ideas on recruitment?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to be that if you didn't break 100 in the weekly medal, you weren't allowed to enter the following weeks medal.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Used to be that if you didn't break 100 in the weekly medal, you weren't allowed to enter the following weeks medal.

Bring it back I say but since equipment has improved let's bring it down to 85 if you don't break 85 you play the women's competitions until you prove you can beat 85 or a bit less as it's going to be a shorter course after all🏌️‍♂

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
You've never re-loaded and put that OOB too???