Fitting Fees

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Have decided it's time for a proper fitting. Definitely for irons but contemplating going for a full bag.
Scott Gourlay in Edinburgh seems to be the guy, but the full bag fitting is £225. Does anyone know if this cost is deducted if you buy the clubs from him?

I'm not sure my standard of game would justify that sort of expenditure. If it's over and above the clubs there are a few places locally that would probably suffice and take the fitting fee off any purchase.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some do, some don't take it off the cost of the clubs
Some don't even charge for a fitting.
Realistically, you're paying for a couple of hours of their time, use of the premises and all the tech plus their skill.
There is an argument, given that the profit on clubs isn't huge, that they shouldn't reimburse.
I'd also be wary of doing a full bag fitting on one day - that's one heck of a lot of shots.....

evemccc

Visit site
Have decided it's time for a proper fitting. Definitely for irons but contemplating going for a full bag.
Scott Gourlay in Edinburgh seems to be the guy, but the full bag fitting is £225. Does anyone know if this cost is deducted if you buy the clubs from him?

I'm not sure my standard of game would justify that sort of expenditure. If it's over and above the clubs there are a few places locally that would probably suffice and take the fitting fee off any purchase.

There’s a school of thought that says the worse you are, the more you’ll benefit from a well-done fitting

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have not used him but heard that his (frankly eye watering fee) is deducted if you buy the clubs. Not sure if you paid for a full fitting and only bought irons.

Most people I know have come away with Srixon irons from his place.

He promotes pured shafts, I think that is probably pure rubbish!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I have not used him but heard that his (frankly eye watering fee) is deducted if you buy the clubs. Not sure if you paid for a full fitting and only bought irons.

Most people I know have come away with Srixon irons from his place.

I think it unlikely that you've tried them then. :rolleyes:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Some do, some don't take it off the cost of the clubs
Some don't even charge for a fitting.
Realistically, you're paying for a couple of hours of their time, use of the premises and all the tech plus their skill.
There is an argument, given that the profit on clubs isn't huge, that they shouldn't reimburse.
I'd also be wary of doing a full bag fitting on one day - that's one heck of a lot of shots.....
Yeah, I know it's full use of facilities etc but just thinking it's not much more outlay than the range up the road who have a studio and facilities that reimburse the fee.
Also aware I might be knackered so splitting it up might be the way forward. If the fee is reimbursed it doesn't make much difference other than a few journeys instead of one.

IanMcC

Visit site

I think that price is extortionate. At Foregolf near Chester it is £25 an hour. They used to refund with a purchase, but not any more.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Him and his crew have been refurbishing it during lockdown
I thought I saw something last week saying they'd be up and ready next week...

Blue in Munich

Visit site

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, the fitting is a service which is seperate to the purchase of the clubs. The cost of the fitting is for their time and expertise to reccomend you a club. I would look at a fitter who takes the cost of the fitting off the clubs as someone who doesnt value their time enough.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me, the fitting is a service which is seperate to the purchase of the clubs. The cost of the fitting is for their time and expertise to reccomend you a club. I would look at a fitter who takes the cost of the fitting off the clubs as someone who doesnt value their time enough.

If you know what irons, at least the make, you can get free fitting by the manufacturer.
I've had excellent and free fitting by Ping and Callaway.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Are you an advocate? Has your game improved? Do all the pros use pure shafts?
? right back at you.?

I had three done a while ago. Two of the clubs I had done I was inconsistent with, one I was considerably more consistent with. The two I was inconsistent with moved a considerable amount & I was more consistent as a consequence. The one I was already consistent with moved barely at all; in other words the good one was already cured & the other two were some way off. Yes I'm an advocate, yes my game improved and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of pros use it on their clubs.

So was I right that you dismissed it without trying it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Having pured quite a number of shafts it would amaze you to watch what happens with some shafts. There have been several where the difference is hardly noticeable. With adjustable heads it only really works though if you know your head set and are not likely to change it .