Custom fitting - generic centre vs specific brand

JontyHawes

Visit site
I'm going to treat myself to a new full set of clubs for my 40th early 2024. My current clubs are 6-7 years old so time for new ones and figured why not try a custom fitting.

My question is would you recommend a more general facility like Silvermere where you can try multiple brands or a specific centre such as Callaways European performance centre?

I've only ever played callaway for no other reason than I liked the look when I bought them. I'm a very data focussed person so don't care what brand I have if the data shoes its the best for me which leans me towards a silvermere. Whats holding me back is are they as good as the specific brand centres.

I've also reduced my handicap a lot since buying these clubs and therefore not sure what would work best now.

Thanks

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Silvermere fitting is very good from what I understand. It will depend on the fitter on the day though.
The brand centre fittings are possibly a cut above, but the flaw with them is you say you like data and the choice is therfore limited.
Precision Golf would be closest (if not better) than a brand centre but you will pay a premium for it. They will have more shaft choices than Silvermere and more head choices than a brand centre.
The question you need to ask is "what do a value more: the experience (negligible difference, IMO) or choice of club?".

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worth looking at fitting days also, I’ve been to both a Titleist and Mizuno fitting day at local clubs and they really bring a lot of gear with them so you get a decent fitting with a proper fitter. I prefer being outdoors and being able to see the ball flight rather than in an indoor simulator but that’s just me. Imo I’ve never struck a callaway or taylormade iron that I liked. Again, personal preference. So I would agree that you sort of want to hit a few brands before parting with a significant wad. I have my irons 5 years and no intention of changing so it’s a good investment if you view it like that.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would always go for a generic multi-club fitting as a start point as you will get a good idea about works best for you. A specific manufacturer's day can be useful if you have decided what you want or just for general interest.

Choose on of the bigger fitters as they will have depth and breadth of offerings (manufacturer's heads and different shafts) and even if you have to pay it's worth it to avoid being fitted into something the doesn't suit.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Should have said that Precision Golf build your clubs onsite with your required swingweight, altered loft and lie, plus their tolerances are tiny compared to the permitted 4° tolerances the OEMs are allowed.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Either :
- there truly are differences between clubs and so specific brand custom fitting is a contradiction in terms - how can they custom fit from a tiny portion of the potential options available
or
- there is no difference between heads, custom fitting isnt really a thing, and so specific brand fitting and generic fitting are both equally meaningless

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Generic every time, because most of us have preconceived ideas of what we think we like or what suits us.
Very often we are surprised by the performance of some that we hadn't previously considered.

Remember, the 2x most important things to get right in any fitting as far as I'm concerned is the correct shaft & club lie.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are based near Silvermere, or anywhere in the south really I would suggest going to Precision Golf, they offer a great experience.

Have a look at their YouTube channel, they have recently started filming fittings and putting them online. Gives a very clear idea of their process.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Either :
- there truly are differences between clubs and so specific brand custom fitting is a contradiction in terms - how can they custom fit from a tiny portion of the potential options available
or
- there is no difference between heads, custom fitting isnt really a thing, and so specific brand fitting and generic fitting are both equally meaningless
Or alternatively there are certain variable factors than can usefully be got right like length , lie ,loft and shaft stiffness. Which can be fitted for both within a model or between models so fitting can have utility on either a single brand or a multibrand approach.

JontyHawes

Visit site
If you are based near Silvermere, or anywhere in the south really I would suggest going to Precision Golf, they offer a great experience.

Have a look at their YouTube channel, they have recently started filming fittings and putting them online. Gives a very clear idea of their process.

Think you are the 2nd or 3rd person here to recommend that. I took a look and it does seem very impressive.

Given their service I imagine its a little costlier but also worth the extra money. Lets hope work are feeling a little more generous with their bonuses this year.

I appreciate the replies from everyone. Thank you

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Part of a custom fitting is trying different brands. If a general fit zeroes in on one brand, then perhaps go to the specific brand fitting thereafter as they will really fine tune you.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve always gone to multi brand centres and come out with another option that better suits my game. If you’ve no bias to what you want then I’d suggest this.

I’d only go to a single brand centre if I absolutely wanted a specific piece of kit but I’d personally make a trip to their main facility for the full experience.

JontyHawes

Visit site
I thought I would update based on my experience.

I ended up going to Precision Golf a few weeks ago and waiting on my clubs now.

Firstly the experience was incredible and the fitter (nick) was superb. I learnt so much during the process and even as a mid handicapper (12) it will definitely make a difference.

The big iron change was in the shaft stiffness, weight and weight balancing. Once we were in the right ball park he made minor adjustments that ended up making a big difference. With the head he fitted one that not only works now but will work with me as I improve rather than outgrow it in a year.

When we came to driver it was like a new world for me. I had constantly struggled with big slices / pushes and lack of confidence. By the end the new driver had gained me significantly less dispersion and around 40-50 carry yards. It was clear what I had bought off the shelf was not good for me at all.

In the end I've got Srixon ZK5 MKii irons (4-pw), Titleist TSR2 driver, TSR2 4 wood and 50, 54 and 58 volkey wedges.

I cannot recommend this place enough for anyone looking at new clubs.

Albo

Visit site
I would suggest somewhere generic and will build your clubs for you.
I went to Scotty Gourley for a driver this year as I was having awful trouble with my previously not fit driver, I picked up the driver in Feb so not had much time to play/bed it in and out yesterday I hit a few driver (all be it down wind) over 290, into the wind 210/215. Previously I was struggling around the 220 mark. So I think I’m netting out 20 up give or take, and handily more accurate to boot.
I wouldn’t have picked the driver I ended up with either if I were just getting one from the shelf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely there is only one answer if one believes there is any difference between drivers - it must be a generic fitter. A single make fitter would only be a fitting limited to 10% of the options. Which wouldnt be much of a fitting.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought I would update based on my experience.

I ended up going to Precision Golf a few weeks ago and waiting on my clubs now.

Firstly the experience was incredible and the fitter (nick) was superb. I learnt so much during the process and even as a mid handicapper (12) it will definitely make a difference.

The big iron change was in the shaft stiffness, weight and weight balancing. Once we were in the right ball park he made minor adjustments that ended up making a big difference. With the head he fitted one that not only works now but will work with me as I improve rather than outgrow it in a year.

When we came to driver it was like a new world for me. I had constantly struggled with big slices / pushes and lack of confidence. By the end the new driver had gained me significantly less dispersion and around 40-50 carry yards. It was clear what I had bought off the shelf was not good for me at all.

In the end I've got Srixon ZK5 MKii irons (4-pw), Titleist TSR2 driver, TSR2 4 wood and 50, 54 and 58 volkey wedges.

I cannot recommend this place enough for anyone looking at new clubs.

Glad to hear you had a good experience.

D

Deleted member 35504

The trouble with going to a generic fitting is you can end up with a brand you hated an hour ago before the numbers teased you