Custom fitting - generic centre vs specific brand

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a driver fitting at Precision Golf about 6 weeks ago, I'd had previous fittings with them so knew what to expect. I went there with the expectation that I would end up with either the Ping G430 Max 10K or the TM Qi10 Standard or Max. Hit a load of drives with them and whilst they weren't bad I didn't see much that improved on what I was already using (TM Stealth). Fitter got the new Cobra Darkspeed, had a hit with that and still nothing to warrant dropping a load of cash. He then said he wanted me to hit the Callaway Smoke AI Max which is the driver I'd said at the outset that I wasn't really interested in hitting as I hadn't really got on with that brand previously (driver wise, have had plenty of joy with their irons). Anyway, long story short it was a huge improvement and I was hitting it all over the face and still getting good numbers/dispersion so ended up parting with my hard earnt. They also had a head only deal with Callaway and the shaft I got fitted into had a minimal upcharge so the cost of the club was only a few pounds more than I would have paid buying anywhere else.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shafts upgrades are where the money is made it seems. All shafts cost $30-$40 to make, no matter the make, spec, or exoticism. So higher prices are margin for the manufacturer and retailer. A good fitter will always upsell a shaft. Head choice has little or no relevance to him.

Teebs

Visit site
Generic fit to see what works and then manufacturers facility to fine tune.

Get the shaft right and there's not loads of difference between the different manufacturers within the same bracket (game improvement / players cavity / blade etc).