Custom Fit - Scotland

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I got taylormades 4/5 years ago when playing of 16. Been struggling with them recently. Started TPI training recently and gain some flexibility and swing speed. New irons are x-stiff and 2 degrees flat. My old ones are stiff 2 degrees upright.
Gained ball speed from 122 to 130 with my 6 iron. Will need a proper gapping session when they arrive.

evemccc

Visit site
@adasko can I ask how much time of the fitting was shaft and how much time was heads, and which came first?

I know different speciality fitters have different priorities.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fitting started with cobra blades. Idea was starting with hardest/smallest to hit club and working your way from there, trying to make it easier.
Tried few different shafts until dispersion was good. To my and fitter suprise I couldn't miss the middle of the club. Then went on to cobra 4 iron and same situation.
Once we found right shaft then went on to trying all the heads. . Before the fitting I really liked the look of Mizuno jpx 923 tour. Purposely didn't look at the heads. To be fair at the adress they all look similar.
Then he told me which head worked the best, back it up with numbers and dispersion. It was between cobra and srixon. Didn't liked the cobra looks so went with srixon.
Mizuno Pro 223 felt great but the blade looked a little bit to long for my liking.
Tried 5 or 6 manufactures, the bigger the club head was the worse I was performing. Always was fancy blades but never expected they will outperform more forgiving irons.
Didn't felt sway towards the srixon, it was best clubs for me. If a lot of people getting fitted for them it must mean they have to be decent.
Ordered 5-pw in blades and zx7 4 iron.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
:unsure:. Hmmm...

I wouldn't read anything into that....
I've been to Scott's 3 times now
1st time I went with clear mind, took best performing and tbh best feel too
KZG

2nd time I wanted srixon combo set, and hit nothing else.....looking back was stupid, but what I requested

3rd time, did it like the 1st time and came away with set of mizuno

I'd say at the moment, if there's plenty people getting fitted for srixon irons, then it's coz they're damn good irons, that people stupidly overlooked in the past in favour of the usual suspects

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
KZG

2nd time I wanted srixon combo set, and hit nothing else.....looking back was stupid, but what I requested

I'd say at the moment, if there's plenty people getting fitted for srixon irons, then it's coz they're damn good irons, that people stupidly overlooked in the past in favour of the usual suspects
Just passing on what I've seen from the many members of my club who went there for fittings.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just passing on what I've seen from the many members of my club who went there for fittings.

I just meant probably more of a coincidence due to the quality and performance of the latest range srixon have out
Very impressive

As there's defenitely no bias towards a particular brand with the fitters at sggt
Not in my experience up there anyway

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
KZG

Can there be such a thing as a damn good iron ?

www.hiltonpark.net
I just meant probably more of a coincidence due to the quality and performance of the latest range srixon have out
Very impressive

As there's defenitely no bias towards a particular brand with the fitters at sggt
Not in my experience up there anyway
I'd agree with that, I went for a woods fitting last year and it felt I tried most brands as I had preferences but came away with Cobra which have performed as promised.
My pal went for a driver fitting. They only sold him the head because the shaft he had in his current one was the best performing.

evemccc

Visit site
Fitting started with cobra blades. Idea was starting with hardest/smallest to hit club and working your way from there, trying to make it easier.
Tried few different shafts until dispersion was good. To my and fitter suprise I couldn't miss the middle of the club. Then went on to cobra 4 iron and same situation.
Once we found right shaft then went on to trying all the heads. . Before the fitting I really liked the look of Mizuno jpx 923 tour. Purposely didn't look at the heads. To be fair at the adress they all look similar.
Then he told me which head worked the best, back it up with numbers and dispersion. It was between cobra and srixon. Didn't liked the cobra looks so went with srixon.
Mizuno Pro 223 felt great but the blade looked a little bit to long for my liking.
Tried 5 or 6 manufactures, the bigger the club head was the worse I was performing. Always was fancy blades but never expected they will outperform more forgiving irons.
Didn't felt sway towards the srixon, it was best clubs for me. If a lot of people getting fitted for them it must mean they have to be decent.
Ordered 5-pw in blades and zx7 4 iron.
Very intrigued (not sceptical at all, but intrigued) by the first sentence Interested because I would like a new set of irons most likely in 2024….

Why would smallest and hardest to hit be the starting point? I understand this from the point of seeing when and if you needed GI irons, or easier to hit irons — and so not starting on GI irons which would be pointless as you’d be tired after you worked your way through to blades — but assuming one flushed each iron hit, what would be the advantage in a smaller / harder to hit blade vs a larger / longer blade?

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very intrigued (not sceptical at all, but intrigued) by the first sentence Interested because I would like a new set of irons most likely in 2024….

Why would smallest and hardest to hit be the starting point? I understand this from the point of seeing when and if you needed GI irons, or easier to hit irons — and so not starting on GI irons which would be pointless as you’d be tired after you worked your way through to blades — but assuming one flushed each iron hit, what would be the advantage in a smaller / harder to hit blade vs a larger / longer blade?
No idea what's the reasoning behind that. I'm assuming is easier to find your striking pattern.
First objective was finding right shaft, then right head. I prefer smaller heads and thin top line.
Blades are not that much harder to hit and if you generate a lot of speed GI irons can go too far some players.

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Just back from SSGT. Had couple fittings in the past in England but none of them come even close to SSGT. Was hitting prov’s in to the range from the mat and grass outside. All I would say after 1.5h iron fitting I wouldn’t do full bag fitting in one day. Was getting tired towards the end.
Great feedback, cheers. I'm torn between the Titleist centre at Craigielaw and going to SGGT I must admit. I've never played any Titleist other than my Vokey wedges and fancied giving the national fitting centre a go. Obviously the benefit with SGGT is that he has various brands and I suspect more shaft options.....he does seem to sell a lot of Srixon stuff mind you but maybe that's just because it performs better! As you say, I think iron fitting one day and perhaps driver/woods another time is the best way to go. I'll maybe get in touch with SGGT and see what they say.

ThinBullet

Visit site
I have some varied experience of fitting in the central belt.

Bishopbriggs driving range (2018)

[Driver] - Go for a driver fitting, and I'm high and right on the day. David advises I get lessons and the fitting kind of goes no where and I feel like crap. I hindsight, he was right, and I worked on it.

American Golf East Kilbride (2019)

[Driver] - After working on the driver issue, i'm fresh on the hunt to replace my 913 D3 with something shiny. I land in a Callaway Mavrik with a shaft, I can't remember off the top of my head. Goes ok for a bit, but start reading that the Epic flash was better (daft I know) so I traded it for an Epic Flash, and to be honest, it was actually better lol.

Graeme Bell (2021)

[Irons] - I went to Graeme before SGGT with my 716 CB/MB combo set. He said I just needed my irons flatter, so bent my 7 iron 2 degrees flat, and it improved my strike pretty much. In fairness at that time I just wanted T100 irons, so I didn't give Graeme the benefit of helping me out. Graeme didn't charge for the advice or fitting. Top guy.

SGGT (2021)

[Irons] - I went to Scott when the new T100 came out in 2021. I already had it in my mind that I wanted those, but didn't mention it. I was fitted for T100S with Oban CT-115S, Pured and it cost me £1600. My wife nearly collapsed.
I'd been using a combo set of 716 CB/MB's and Mizuno MP4 up to that point, and I hated the T100S as soon as I hit them. It was the most expensive mistake I've ever made with golf clubs. Sold them for a massive loss a few months later as my MP4 with standard S300 were far superior in feel. I was gobsmacked. Absolutely not Scott Gourley's fault though.

Titleist Fitting Day - (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Driver] - Their Trackman system wasn't showing flights, and just numbers, so they fitted me into a TSI3 9 degree with a Tensei AV Raw white and said my ball speed was 165mph. My highest on Top Tracer in the last year was 160 with a TSI3.

Ping Fitting Booth (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Driver] - Wait in a long queue. Some guy gets a whole bag fit and ruins time slots. Anyway, curious about a Ping driver, so I go into the fitting with an open mind. Guy asks what I'm using and I mention my SIM2. Fits me, and I'm hitting it alright. Keeps slagging off my SIM with things like "I bet your SIM doesn't do that" - Starts getting on my nerves. Keeps chatting to the hot lassie on the booth, and pays zero attention to the fit. Throws a sheet at me with a Ping G425 Max and a Tour 65 shaft. I complained to Ping, who get someone from their fitting here in Scotland to redo it, but never make a suitable time for me and dropped coms.

Titleist Ball fitting (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Ball] - Ask me what clubs I'm using and shaft. I say "690.MB with Modus Tour 120 S" Throws me a 620MB 7 iron with a Project X 6.0. Quite honestly in front of a crowd I'm impressed I'm flushing this thing on every shot. Puts me into a Prov1X and I rush out to buy a box, and I'm 10 yards short on the course. Not great, but they planted the seed of that dream setup with the 620Mb. It bothers me for months. Another story.

NextGen Cumbernauld (2022)

[Driver] - Fairly new set up there. Chris was really helpful and down to earth. Has a smaller selection of gear, just TM, Callaway and Cobra, but I was keen to test the new Stealth stuff. Came away with a Stealth+ with 70+ Kai'li shaft. On course, i'm all over the place, and the shaft is too heavy. Damages my right wrist, and Chris swapped the shaft for a 60S. Get on better with it, but eventually sell the Stealth+.

Clydeway Performance (2023)

[Driver] - I went for a driver fitting early this year when the new TM and Callaway stuff came out. Got fitted for a ParaDym TD with HZRDUS shaft. My average spin was 1800, and personally I felt that was too low, but apparently it was a good fit for me. I didn't really agree, and paid for the fitting and left.

Titleist Fitting Day - Strathclyde Park Driving Range (2023)

[Irons] - Start of the hour fitting, some lad said he had a problem with his fitted driver, and the guy spent 5-10 mins of my fitting time going over what was wrong with his setup. Can't really say much as it's a free fitting. Whack through my P770 at the time, and instantly puts me into a T100S with a KBS shaft. Tried different shafts but land back on the KBS. Felt a bit rushed, but what do you expect for free?

Club Champion (Hillington 2023)

[Wedges] - I was using Vega wedges up to this point. Hated the chrome on them and sun reflections so I mention to my playing buddy that I'm going to switch them for darker headed clubs. He's just bought Mg3 and said he'd swap me, so we swap. A few rounds in and I hate them. Don't want to seem disrespectful so I plan to keep them and just buy other wedges anyway. Go to CC, and they say I just need my MG3 adjusted. So they bend the 52 to 50, and the 56 to 54, and set the lie at 64. Perfect set up for me, and I go away chuffed to bits. Still in the bag.

I'm not sure fitting is for me, because apart from the wedges, I don't have one club in the bag that I was fitted for.

Teebs

Visit site
I have some varied experience of fitting in the central belt.

Bishopbriggs driving range (2018)

[Driver] - Go for a driver fitting, and I'm high and right on the day. David advises I get lessons and the fitting kind of goes no where and I feel like crap. I hindsight, he was right, and I worked on it.

American Golf East Kilbride (2019)

[Driver] - After working on the driver issue, i'm fresh on the hunt to replace my 913 D3 with something shiny. I land in a Callaway Mavrik with a shaft, I can't remember off the top of my head. Goes ok for a bit, but start reading that the Epic flash was better (daft I know) so I traded it for an Epic Flash, and to be honest, it was actually better lol.

Graeme Bell (2021)

[Irons] - I went to Graeme before SGGT with my 716 CB/MB combo set. He said I just needed my irons flatter, so bent my 7 iron 2 degrees flat, and it improved my strike pretty much. In fairness at that time I just wanted T100 irons, so I didn't give Graeme the benefit of helping me out. Graeme didn't charge for the advice or fitting. Top guy.

SGGT (2021)

[Irons] - I went to Scott when the new T100 came out in 2021. I already had it in my mind that I wanted those, but didn't mention it. I was fitted for T100S with Oban CT-115S, Pured and it cost me £1600. My wife nearly collapsed.
I'd been using a combo set of 716 CB/MB's and Mizuno MP4 up to that point, and I hated the T100S as soon as I hit them. It was the most expensive mistake I've ever made with golf clubs. Sold them for a massive loss a few months later as my MP4 with standard S300 were far superior in feel. I was gobsmacked. Absolutely not Scott Gourley's fault though.

Titleist Fitting Day - (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Driver] - Their Trackman system wasn't showing flights, and just numbers, so they fitted me into a TSI3 9 degree with a Tensei AV Raw white and said my ball speed was 165mph. My highest on Top Tracer in the last year was 160 with a TSI3.

Ping Fitting Booth (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Driver] - Wait in a long queue. Some guy gets a whole bag fit and ruins time slots. Anyway, curious about a Ping driver, so I go into the fitting with an open mind. Guy asks what I'm using and I mention my SIM2. Fits me, and I'm hitting it alright. Keeps slagging off my SIM with things like "I bet your SIM doesn't do that" - Starts getting on my nerves. Keeps chatting to the hot lassie on the booth, and pays zero attention to the fit. Throws a sheet at me with a Ping G425 Max and a Tour 65 shaft. I complained to Ping, who get someone from their fitting here in Scotland to redo it, but never make a suitable time for me and dropped coms.

Titleist Ball fitting (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Ball] - Ask me what clubs I'm using and shaft. I say "690.MB with Modus Tour 120 S" Throws me a 620MB 7 iron with a Project X 6.0. Quite honestly in front of a crowd I'm impressed I'm flushing this thing on every shot. Puts me into a Prov1X and I rush out to buy a box, and I'm 10 yards short on the course. Not great, but they planted the seed of that dream setup with the 620Mb. It bothers me for months. Another story.

NextGen Cumbernauld (2022)

[Driver] - Fairly new set up there. Chris was really helpful and down to earth. Has a smaller selection of gear, just TM, Callaway and Cobra, but I was keen to test the new Stealth stuff. Came away with a Stealth+ with 70+ Kai'li shaft. On course, i'm all over the place, and the shaft is too heavy. Damages my right wrist, and Chris swapped the shaft for a 60S. Get on better with it, but eventually sell the Stealth+.

Clydeway Performance (2023)

[Driver] - I went for a driver fitting early this year when the new TM and Callaway stuff came out. Got fitted for a ParaDym TD with HZRDUS shaft. My average spin was 1800, and personally I felt that was too low, but apparently it was a good fit for me. I didn't really agree, and paid for the fitting and left.

Titleist Fitting Day - Strathclyde Park Driving Range (2023)

[Irons] - Start of the hour fitting, some lad said he had a problem with his fitted driver, and the guy spent 5-10 mins of my fitting time going over what was wrong with his setup. Can't really say much as it's a free fitting. Whack through my P770 at the time, and instantly puts me into a T100S with a KBS shaft. Tried different shafts but land back on the KBS. Felt a bit rushed, but what do you expect for free?

Club Champion (Hillington 2023)

[Wedges] - I was using Vega wedges up to this point. Hated the chrome on them and sun reflections so I mention to my playing buddy that I'm going to switch them for darker headed clubs. He's just bought Mg3 and said he'd swap me, so we swap. A few rounds in and I hate them. Don't want to seem disrespectful so I plan to keep them and just buy other wedges anyway. Go to CC, and they say I just need my MG3 adjusted. So they bend the 52 to 50, and the 56 to 54, and set the lie at 64. Perfect set up for me, and I go away chuffed to bits. Still in the bag.

I'm not sure fitting is for me, because apart from the wedges, I don't have one club in the bag that I was fitted for.

Wow. Kinda echo your comments though, much of a fitting process is subjective and the numbers don't always match the feel.
For my next driver, I'm using the club Pro who'll let me take any demo to the range, on the course and also look at the numbers on flightscope. No rush, no hard sell on the day.