Custom Fit - Scotland

Highland Tour

Visit site
I have some varied experience of fitting in the central belt.

Bishopbriggs driving range (2018)

[Driver] - Go for a driver fitting, and I'm high and right on the day. David advises I get lessons and the fitting kind of goes no where and I feel like crap. I hindsight, he was right, and I worked on it.

American Golf East Kilbride (2019)

[Driver] - After working on the driver issue, i'm fresh on the hunt to replace my 913 D3 with something shiny. I land in a Callaway Mavrik with a shaft, I can't remember off the top of my head. Goes ok for a bit, but start reading that the Epic flash was better (daft I know) so I traded it for an Epic Flash, and to be honest, it was actually better lol.

Graeme Bell (2021)

[Irons] - I went to Graeme before SGGT with my 716 CB/MB combo set. He said I just needed my irons flatter, so bent my 7 iron 2 degrees flat, and it improved my strike pretty much. In fairness at that time I just wanted T100 irons, so I didn't give Graeme the benefit of helping me out. Graeme didn't charge for the advice or fitting. Top guy.

SGGT (2021)

[Irons] - I went to Scott when the new T100 came out in 2021. I already had it in my mind that I wanted those, but didn't mention it. I was fitted for T100S with Oban CT-115S, Pured and it cost me £1600. My wife nearly collapsed.
I'd been using a combo set of 716 CB/MB's and Mizuno MP4 up to that point, and I hated the T100S as soon as I hit them. It was the most expensive mistake I've ever made with golf clubs. Sold them for a massive loss a few months later as my MP4 with standard S300 were far superior in feel. I was gobsmacked. Absolutely not Scott Gourley's fault though.

Titleist Fitting Day - (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Driver] - Their Trackman system wasn't showing flights, and just numbers, so they fitted me into a TSI3 9 degree with a Tensei AV Raw white and said my ball speed was 165mph. My highest on Top Tracer in the last year was 160 with a TSI3.

Ping Fitting Booth (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Driver] - Wait in a long queue. Some guy gets a whole bag fit and ruins time slots. Anyway, curious about a Ping driver, so I go into the fitting with an open mind. Guy asks what I'm using and I mention my SIM2. Fits me, and I'm hitting it alright. Keeps slagging off my SIM with things like "I bet your SIM doesn't do that" - Starts getting on my nerves. Keeps chatting to the hot lassie on the booth, and pays zero attention to the fit. Throws a sheet at me with a Ping G425 Max and a Tour 65 shaft. I complained to Ping, who get someone from their fitting here in Scotland to redo it, but never make a suitable time for me and dropped coms.

Titleist Ball fitting (Bunkered Live Glasgow 2022)

[Ball] - Ask me what clubs I'm using and shaft. I say "690.MB with Modus Tour 120 S" Throws me a 620MB 7 iron with a Project X 6.0. Quite honestly in front of a crowd I'm impressed I'm flushing this thing on every shot. Puts me into a Prov1X and I rush out to buy a box, and I'm 10 yards short on the course. Not great, but they planted the seed of that dream setup with the 620Mb. It bothers me for months. Another story.

NextGen Cumbernauld (2022)

[Driver] - Fairly new set up there. Chris was really helpful and down to earth. Has a smaller selection of gear, just TM, Callaway and Cobra, but I was keen to test the new Stealth stuff. Came away with a Stealth+ with 70+ Kai'li shaft. On course, i'm all over the place, and the shaft is too heavy. Damages my right wrist, and Chris swapped the shaft for a 60S. Get on better with it, but eventually sell the Stealth+.

Clydeway Performance (2023)

[Driver] - I went for a driver fitting early this year when the new TM and Callaway stuff came out. Got fitted for a ParaDym TD with HZRDUS shaft. My average spin was 1800, and personally I felt that was too low, but apparently it was a good fit for me. I didn't really agree, and paid for the fitting and left.

Titleist Fitting Day - Strathclyde Park Driving Range (2023)

[Irons] - Start of the hour fitting, some lad said he had a problem with his fitted driver, and the guy spent 5-10 mins of my fitting time going over what was wrong with his setup. Can't really say much as it's a free fitting. Whack through my P770 at the time, and instantly puts me into a T100S with a KBS shaft. Tried different shafts but land back on the KBS. Felt a bit rushed, but what do you expect for free?

Club Champion (Hillington 2023)

[Wedges] - I was using Vega wedges up to this point. Hated the chrome on them and sun reflections so I mention to my playing buddy that I'm going to switch them for darker headed clubs. He's just bought Mg3 and said he'd swap me, so we swap. A few rounds in and I hate them. Don't want to seem disrespectful so I plan to keep them and just buy other wedges anyway. Go to CC, and they say I just need my MG3 adjusted. So they bend the 52 to 50, and the 56 to 54, and set the lie at 64. Perfect set up for me, and I go away chuffed to bits. Still in the bag.

I'm not sure fitting is for me, because apart from the wedges, I don't have one club in the bag that I was fitted for.
I'm going for an iron fitting soon and your experiences don't fill me with confidence.
I suppose I will rely on feel and ball flight more than numbers on the day, although I know roughly what numbers I need.