Fitting Fees

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
From what I gather though, SGGT doesn’t stock or fit Ping. Or didn’t
I think it’s to do with Ping being particular about their shafts??

A shame because Ping seem to have one of the best reputations of all OEMs and especially with their Driver range
one of the guys i know who got a full set from him told me he was the only fitter in the UK to have a Head only deal with all the OEM, so could fit any head to any shaft.

not been myself, did think about when i was planning my last change, but being a tight fist won over:LOL:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't think I'd use the term "pured" :sick: but when I re-shafted my hickory Willie Park cleek I ensured that the grain was in the correct orientation.

It is definitely a thing for hickory clubs, steel or graphite? Maybe for Pros/top amateurs or for a very dodgy shaft but for your average club golfer with an average shaft I'd say there's better things to spend your money on.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
On Callaway yes, any other brands? TM and Ping rotate the shaft.

Titleist do a dual cog system as well.

Cobra dont. Not sure Mizuno do....maybe those brands that don't are happy with the consistency of the shafts they are using? Maybe they think it makes negligible difference.

I wonder how many pros actually use a driver with an adjustable shaft? What I mean is...I wonder how many use a driver head that is adjustable in its retail variant but might have a tour offering that has a fixed glued shaft?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't think I'd use the term "pured" :sick: but when I re-shafted my hickory Willie Park cleek I ensured that the grain was in the correct orientation.

It is definitely a thing for hickory clubs, steel or graphite? Maybe for Pros/top amateurs or for a very dodgy shaft but for your average club golfer with an average shaft I'd say there's better things to spend your money on.
When Puring began back in the late 90s I suspect the quality of shafts was fairly inconsistent so it would follow that puring would be a good idea and would work.
Technological changes to materials, production processes and just overall quality mean that there's probably less benefit now.
That's not to say there isn't a benefit.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re paying north of £200 for a full fitting. If you have not got £200 it’s a fortune.Yet some would write it off as expenses. So its peanuts. As with all things, it’s up to the individual and we are all different. Me the £200 plus would go on lessons to get more out of me swing and clubs. For 99% of us hackers I would suggest pure shafts would not make a bit of difference and I would be more than happy to trust the shafts which, Ping, callaway, Cobra or whoever suggest.
I was fitted at Ping Gainsboro for Irons and loved the session. After the half hour fitting, I had 15 mins left and had a play with a driver. I bought a driver later that year.
Good luck wherever you end up.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only a half hour at Gainsborough?
At the Callaway fitting centre at St. Andrews the appointments are 90 minutes.

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
That's an eye watering fee. New clubs cost a fair whack nowadays, adding a cost like that would make me look elsewhere, or not at all ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Only a half our at Gainsborough?
At the Callaway fitting centre at St. Andrews the appointments are 90 minutes.

when you booked at Gainsboro, you had the choice of 2 time lengths, I paid for the longer. After I had warmed up my swing speed more or less told the fitter which shafts I needed. As it happened the exact same shafts as were in my old Titliest 714,s.after that it was a case of which club head was going on them. Thinking about me fitting am not sure if the session was an hour, ( would say on there site I imagine), but once I had been fitted for the irons the rest of the session was looking at me woods/ Driver. He did say that there’s a few things he can see that need sorting with a lesson or two. But he/ they are not there to give lessons. ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That's not necessarily true. Modern loft adjustment systems, certainly those with dual cogs, allow loft and face angle adjustment without the need to move the shaft from its "normal" orientation.

Or having decided which setting you are using, then get the shaft pured to that, obviously in the knowledge that should you change from that setting you may move it out of position.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
For me, no you were not right.
I have played with plenty people who have used them and nobody had any faith that it made the slightest difference.
With modern woods if you get fitted and then decide to change loft setting you are immediately losing the "benefit".

So not actually tried it then, just going on someone else's word. We'll agree to differ then.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At my club the pro's don't charge members for fittings. Whereas if you're not a member I think there is a fee of £25 per session - with that fee deducted if you buy from them.

£225 for a fitting seems steep to me.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my club the pro's don't charge members for fittings. Whereas if you're not a member I think there is a fee of £25 per session - with that fee deducted if you buy from them.

£225 for a fitting seems steep to me.

I'd say 225 is to stop timewasters
A full bag fitting would take a few hours
Why would anybody give up all that time if there was no sale, no benefit to them afterwards
Be nothing worse than spending 3hrs with somebody, some punter picking your brains, using your facilities and tech
Then walking away scot free
To try and source them products somewhere else

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scott has a great set up
For irons now especially, offering a fitting with 4iron, 6iron, 8iron and PW heads available

Not just hitting a 7 iron demo off your local pro then buying a full set based on the results of that one club in the set that you tried.

For me though the biggest benefit is
A good professional custom fit
Followed by an equally important custom build
Which is often overlooked or not even given a thought by your average golfer

Each iron will be to exact loft to spec
Lies will be exactly as you were fitted for
All checked, bent, if need be, adjusted to the spec sheet you were fitted for
Also, all irons in that set will have matching swingweight, to spec of your fit

The latter defenitely can't be said of a normal set of irons purchase

Blue in Munich

Visit site
This is from the man's website;

Pricing
Full Bag Fitting (all Woods, Irons and Wedges, excluding putter)- £225
This is the most comprehensive fitting we offer. Your expert fitter will look at all of the clubs in your bag, working from the longest to the shortest club. Your fitter will drill down to specifics of every aspect of your equipment, the key is to correctly gap each club in the bag, giving each club a purpose.

Long Game Fitting (Driver, Fairways, Hybrids) - £150
In a long game fitting your expert fitter will examine your driver, fairway woods and hybrids to ensure that you maintain consistency of each shot along with maximum distance, spin rate and trajectory.

Driver Fitting £75
Due to the sheer power you receive from a driver it is vital that you have the correct combination of shaft and head to allow you to accurately control that power. During a driver fitting your expert fitter will select heads and shafts based on your shot analysis during the fitting. The driver market is constantly evolving and releasing new products, we stock all of the latest driver technology from leading manufacturers.

Fairway Wood/Hybrid Fitting £75
During a fitting for fairway woods and hybrids your expert club fitter will analyse your swing in detail and select club heads and shafts which will complement your swing speed and launch angle. This will give you increased control of shots from both long and short grass and ultimately lower your scores.

Iron Fitting £100
Our Hogan studio has been custom built to fit for irons only. We stock an extensive range of shafts and heads from the top manufacturers which are continuously updated with current products as they are released. During your iron fitting our expert fitter will use their extensive knowledge, along with cutting edge technology, to examine your game and fit your clubs to you. They will adjust launch and lie angles and spin characteristics to increase the control and accuracy of your irons.

Wedge Fitting £75
Wedge fitting is often an area that is overlooked but is arguably the most important. During this fitting you will initially hit a few shots with your current 9 iron and PW to assess how far each of them go. Your expert fitter will then look at your wedges to ensure there are no gaps within your existing set up. You will hit a range of shots from flop shots, pitches and shots ranging from 50 yards up to your PW distance, this will help us work out if you need to carry 2 or 3 wedges. You fitter will calculate the correct lofts, grinds, shafts lengths, lies and swing weights for you to ensure your short game is as sharp as possible. This will enable you to hit closer to the pin and lower those scores. We stock all the latest wedge heads from leading manufacturers, carrying a large range of lofts, bounces and grinds.

Trackman Gapping session (£75) Approx 1 hour
A Trackman gapping session involves a dynamic check and adjustment of your lie angles. Once your irons and wedges are adjusted so the strike is neutral across the sole, we are able to gather Trackman data throughout the bag recording both carry and total distance for each club. If any yardage gaps arise then we are able to adjust lofts accordingly to ensure that you have a club for any yardage into the green.

EVERY FITTING INCLUDES
- A printout and email of fitting results and club specifications, explained to you in detail by your expert fitter

- A detailed price quote of each club in your fitting, broken down into components

- Trackman Reports

Did those who have tried the less expensive options get the same from their fitting or is he offering a Rolls Royce service at a Rolls Royce price (Lada's are available for those who don't like Rollers ;) )?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
BIM

I can only quote from my own experience
I've only ever purchased irons
3 sets from Scott over the years

So no idea about other services offered

But I would add
Anybody on here buying new irons this year
If not from a fitter of the like of Scott and this type of set up

When your irons arrive
Do yourself a favour
Book in a loft and lie session
Get the new irons checked
I'd be shocked if a full set bought this way were all correct for loft, lie, swingweight

You might get a shock

Blue in Munich

Visit site
BIM

I can only quote from my own experience
I've only ever purchased irons
3 sets from Scott over the years

So no idea about other services offered

But I would add
Anybody on here buying new irons this year
If not from a fitter of the like of Scott and this type of set up

When your irons arrive
Do yourself a favour
Book in a loft and lie session
Get the new irons checked
I'd be shocked if a full set bought this way were all correct for loft, lie, swingweight

You might get a shock

I don't doubt what you say Moogie, you don't get a reputation like his without earning it and I think you're spot on with some of the pricing being done to put off the time wasters.

My pro has got a studio and booked the Mizuno fitter in, no charge. I was fitted & bought a set of irons, I'd be interested to know how many others did. I've openly heard members talk about getting advice & guidance from him for free and then stating they've gone to a nearby well known discount store & got it cheaper. When people have attitudes like that I don't blame people like Scott Gourlay for putting a decent price on their services.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Precision golf charge £300 for a full bag and that's not taken off the clubs either. If I ever get to scratch I'll treat myself

A friend of mine use them and they tweeked the clubs he already had. Different weights in the driver and different shafts and swing weight in the irons I think. He is a plus 4 golfer though

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Imagine arguing that 200 quid is not reasonable when the full fitting bag is probably 4-5 hours of his time.

The blokes obviously an expert.