Films that disappoint

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another one that was really hyped but just didn't hit the mark IMO was Jojo Rabbit - trying to be too clever by half (although Sam Rockwell was quality as usual).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Another one that was really hyped but just didn't hit the mark IMO was Jojo Rabbit - trying to be too clever by half (although Sam Rockwell was quality as usual).

I’d almost managed to erase that 2 hours from my memory but I’m now getting flashbacks… ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I wonder if the people that over hype Films are the same people that over hype golf clubs When they are launched. I think Taylormade employ one or two of these people.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often find that if a films been overhyped, they never live up to that. I love a Marvel/superheroes film but after hearing the hype for Black Panther & Wonder Woman that they were the best ever of the genre, I found them to be a bit meh.
Same situation with The Dark Knight.
Whereas, I enjoyed Shape of Water & 3 Billboards as I had no expectations or idea of what to expect of either (especially as I wouldn't have usually looked at these type of films to watch).
I always find that Bond films tend to live or die more on the villain but found the villain in No Time To Die to be a bit nothingy really. Also, nothing dates a Bond film (particularly the Roger Moore ones) more than the 80's synth soundtrack.

Yeah, Remi Malek was not a great character in NTTD. Could have cut him out entirely. If Blofled has escaped from Belmarsh and come after 007, would have been better. Christoph Waltz was badly under-used.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, the joy of this thread. I loved JoJo Rabbit. 'Hey Jojo, it's not a good day to be a Nazi'. How can you not like a film with that line in it :LOL:

I do think expectations can mess with your mind. I watched 3 Billboards expecting to turn it off after 15 minutes. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 1917, I was expecting a masterpiece, hugely disappointed. Perhaps had I seen it without knowing anything it may have been different.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any thoughts on current Spiderman? Went with the kids at the weekend.
Wife, son and daughter loved it. Me, less so but I don't like the whole mulit verse thing so that was also going to be a struggle. I wouldn't bother watching it again when it comes on tv so that says something.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wife, son and daughter loved it. Me, less so but I don't like the whole mulit verse thing so that was also going to be a struggle. I wouldn't bother watching it again when it comes on tv so that says something.

I thought it was quite good, but the special effects were flying past so fast you couldn't really appreciate what was going on. The return of [plot spoiler] and [plot spoiler 2] was a nice touch, though.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I made the mistake of bigging up a lot of 80's classics to my kids and sitting them down to watch them, part of their 'education'. Even I had to accept that a lot of them had not aged well. A lot of the 80's films started to use special effects but they look a bit rubbish compared to CGI offerings of today. I now tend to leave them to memories.

How on earth you though the Ringwold / McCarthy offerings were going to be classics though.....:cautious:. I had to suffer a lot of viewings of those at the time, past girlfriend o_O

Bit hit and miss with my recommendations to my kids, they thought Gremlins was rubbish (watching it with them they were right) but they loved “Stand by me” I think it’s the poor effects that make or break a film for them.

Other overrated films. Any Fast and Furious or any Transformers film... Absolute tosh, but judging by how many were made somebody’s watching them!?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit hit and miss with my recommendations to my kids, they thought Gremlins was rubbish (watching it with them they were right) but they loved “Stand by me” I think it’s the poor effects that make or break a film for them.
I think that is largely it. If the film doesn't have SFX then it doesn't necessarily date. I re-watched the first Terminator film as part of their education and the effects in that were awful. Take a film, such as Stand by Me, and it is timeless as it was about people. Films can obvioulsy disappoint in many ways but the 80's blockbusters don't fare too well as they were just on the edge of the really good tech.

RichA

Visit site
Indiana jones and the crystal skull. I took my wife to see this. many years later I'm still paying for it. I don't dare criticise a bad movie she has chosen.
Never saw it. After hearing a spoiler about how it concludes, I've never been able to bring myself to watch it. Silly really - the first 3 instalments weren't exactly grounded in reality.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
“The Untouchables” really hasn’t aged well, saw it again a few months ago, some of the hammiest acting you could possibly imagine. No idea how Sean Connery got an Oscar for it.
Also just rewatched Trading Places, not the belter I remember.

One I never tire of watching. Some absolutely classic lines; Connery should have given the Oscar to the script writers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To agree with some that others have posted first:
Dune - just felt like I was sat there for about 3 hours watching nothing happen and still only saw the first half of a movie where nothing is resolved. They could have chopped at least half an hour out of it without losing anything.
Avatar - just utter nonsense really. The whole thing was designed was visuals to show off the new 3D tech at the time, but if you watch it now, at home, without the 3D effects to distract, you realise the story is pretty flimsy.
Caddyshack - I kept seeing this rated on lists of funniest movies ever - and I'm a big fan of Bill Murray so I was excited to finally watch it - I barely laughed once in the whole film. I was shocked.

One film that I found a bit disappointing was No Country For Old Men. I don't think it's bad, but I'm sure it won loads of awards and had rave reviews, but when we watched it it felt like one long 'middle' with no beginning and no end. Couldn't really figure out what conclusions we were supposed to take from it. And I normally like the Coen Brothers' stuff, but that one was just 'meh'.

I saw John Wick mentioned above, I loved John Wick 1 & 2 but 3 was the disappointment for me. The action really jumped the shark it terms of ridiculousness, and ultimately it was nothing but a set-up for a fourth movie. There was no real ending to it. Just unsatisfying when they do that. (See Dune.)