Films that disappoint

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The Bourne films, took several attempts before I could tolerate the 'fad' of filming while trying to give the impression of not using a tripod/steady-cam to add 'perspective'

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mad Max…got a major meh from me after watching it for first (and probably last) time about 6 months ago.

A good film, but probably best watched when it first came out, a little dated now, as are most future set films from the 70's and 80's. Always thought 2 was the best one, although the recent one with Tom Hardy was pretty decent.

Highlander. I watched this after hearing people rave about it. Really didn't like it. Maybe it just hasn't aged well.

Another in my top 10 films, but only because I watched it when it originally came out, and liked the idea of the story. The follow up films were dreadful but I did like the TV show. Certainly very dated now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A good film, but probably best watched when it first came out, a little dated now, as are most future set films from the 70's and 80's. Always thought 2 was the best one, although the recent one with Tom Hardy was pretty decent.

Another in my top 10 films, but only because I watched it when it originally came out, and liked the idea of the story. The follow up films were dreadful but I did like the TV show. Certainly very dated now.
So the thought becomes a great film can become not so great through the passage of time, and likewise a truly great film will stand the passage of time. With Mad Max maybe it was that it was one of the first (was it?) films about an apocalyptic dystopian future, that wasn’t ‘high brow’?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
So the thought becomes a great film can become not so great through the passage of time, and a likewise a truly great film will stand the passage of time. With Mad Max maybe it was that it was one of the first (was it?) films about an apocalyptic dystopian future, that wasn’t ‘high brow’?

I find that even though some films may have been good once, and date heavily, they still hold a place in my heart regardless. Not too dissimilar to particular songs, they bring back memories of a time or a place, or you just enjoyed it so much you don't care about how much it has dated.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
So the thought becomes a great film can become not so great through the passage of time, and likewise a truly great film will stand the passage of time. With Mad Max maybe it was that it was one of the first (was it?) films about an apocalyptic dystopian future, that wasn’t ‘high brow’?

A lot of 80s films whilst great at the time have not aged well. There are a few (Raiders, Terminator, Weekend at Bernies) that are timeless classics, but there are also a lot of films with Molly Ringwold and Andrew McCarthy that are absolute cringefests today... True I would have watched all these on pirated VHS tapes from the dodgy newsagent but I would have sworn they were gonna be classics at the time!

Apropos nothing Soylent Green was set in 2022! :eek:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A lot of 80s films whilst great at the time have not aged well. There are a few (Raiders, Terminator, Weekend at Bernies) that are timeless classics, but there are also a lot of films with Molly Ringwold and Andrew McCarthy that are absolute cringefests today... True I would have watched all these on pirated VHS tapes from the dodgy newsagent but I would have sworn they were gonna be classics at the time!

Apropos nothing Soylent Green was set in 2022! :eek:
Weekend at Bernies is class and still makes me chuckle today.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I made the mistake of bigging up a lot of 80's classics to my kids and sitting them down to watch them, part of their 'education'. Even I had to accept that a lot of them had not aged well. A lot of the 80's films started to use special effects but they look a bit rubbish compared to CGI offerings of today. I now tend to leave them to memories.

How on earth you though the Ringwold / McCarthy offerings were going to be classics though.....:cautious:. I had to suffer a lot of viewings of those at the time, past girlfriend o_O

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I made the mistake of bigging up a lot of 80's classics to my kids and sitting them down to watch them, part of their 'education'. Even I had to accept that a lot of them had not aged well. A lot of the 80's films started to use special effects but they look a bit rubbish compared to CGI offerings of today. I now tend to leave them to memories.

How on earth you though the Ringwold / McCarthy offerings were going to be classics though.....:cautious:. I had to suffer a lot of viewings of those at the time, past girlfriend o_O

Think you can add some of the Tom Cruise films - Cocktail?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like No Time To Die, but thought they could have cut a good half an hour and would have improved the movie.

Liked Lost In Translation. Saw it on an overnight flight from Los Angeles to Sydney, so was able to relate to Bill Murray's disorientation.

Like Usual Suspects, great thriller.

Not a fan of Shawshank Redemption.

I like Inception, and Christopher Nolan movies in general. I think you can say a lot about it, but not boring.

Thought Three Billboards was great. Frances McDormand is always great, and Sam Rockwell restrained his usual over the top acting enough to be good.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Last Tango in Paris

Went to see it when first dating my wife at a classic film festival.
Wanted to claw my eyes out with a blunt instrument, but was scared she'd think I was a cultural neanderthal.
Turned out she hated it too but didn't tell me either, but as we were stuck in a dark theater for 3 hours trying to impress each other, we both silently suffered through purgatory. Probably brought us closer together by the end of it.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I often find that if a films been overhyped, they never live up to that. I love a Marvel/superheroes film but after hearing the hype for Black Panther & Wonder Woman that they were the best ever of the genre, I found them to be a bit meh.
Same situation with The Dark Knight.
Whereas, I enjoyed Shape of Water & 3 Billboards as I had no expectations or idea of what to expect of either (especially as I wouldn't have usually looked at these type of films to watch).
I always find that Bond films tend to live or die more on the villain but found the villain in No Time To Die to be a bit nothingy really. Also, nothing dates a Bond film (particularly the Roger Moore ones) more than the 80's synth soundtrack.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often find that if a films been overhyped, they never live up to that. I love a Marvel/superheroes film but after hearing the hype for Black Panther & Wonder Woman that they were the best ever of the genre, I found them to be a bit meh.
Same situation with The Dark Knight.
Whereas, I enjoyed Shape of Water & 3 Billboards as I had no expectations or idea of what to expect of either (especially as I wouldn't have usually looked at these type of films to watch).
I always find that Bond films tend to live or die more on the villain but found the villain in No Time To Die to be a bit nothingy really. Also, nothing dates a Bond film (particularly the Roger Moore ones) more than the 80's synth soundtrack.

I am totally the opposite with The Dark Knight and found it to be the most comic accurate Batman film to date (though the new one could beat that). Agree on Black Panther and Wonder Woman and, in fact, Endgame as well. Marvel had become formulaic and is soon going to have the same problem that the comics have had for decades. It is easy to do the origin stuff but now it has become so tied down in its own mythos that the enjoyment is severely depleted for those not familiar with years of prior films and TV shows.

I am 50.50 with the Bond film. Not a bad film but the villian was no bland and under developed that it seems hard to feel too involved in the plot. That said, I will applaused the studio who took the flack for delays without using the easy option of spoiling the plot to show why it was clearly inappropriate to release it at the height of a pandemic.

I generally do not fall for film hype too much these days but the 1989 Batman was a disappointment, it never worked out if it wanted to be serious or camp. Aside from that, the only other films that people have loved and I have not is pretty much any Tarrentino film after Pulp Fiction.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disappoint is the wrong word for me, I can be critical of films but there's always something in nearly all films that I can appreciate even when they're bad. I've never walked out on a film with one exception.

Nothing has ever or will ever compare to the kick in the groin that was Star Wars The Phantom Menace.

RichA

Visit site
Plenty of streamed films have been abandoned part-watched, but the only time I've walked out of a cinema during a film was watching Repossessed - an Exorcist spoof with Leslie Nielsen.