Favourite golfer of all time

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Plenty of talk happens about who is the greatest golfer of all time is but what about favourite?

For me it has to be Seve. The combination of his imagination, skill set and personality makes him the top of the list period-discuss!!!!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Favourite would be either Seve or Faldo, they’re both boyhood heros of mine and the reasons why I got into the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bubba Watson. Just sheer entertainment. His swing looks like he made it up off the top of his head but he can turn it left or right on demand. He takes risks. Will he make an eagle or a double? Who knows. He's so fun to watch.

Wolf

Visit site
Tough call but for me would be either Faldo as his peak was when I began playing, loved his swing, rhythm, single mindedness and shot making. Or the other Greg Norman watching him drive the ball was phenomenal and the way he took courses apart. Yet that 95 Masters where Faldo wore him down makes Sir Nick just edge it I think.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thinking way back Trevino seems to stick in my mind. Maybe he was my least favourite but I don’t think so...Also for some reason Tom Weiskopf.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Favourite of all time

Tiger .. however how obvious and boring is that?

So random golfer I follow for no real reason

Mike lorenzo-vela

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seve
Faldo
Trevino
In that order. Seve was simply unique and a genius. I had the pleasure of watching Faldo up close and sharing some time with him and nothing like the TV persona he had. Trevino was another one off and so talented with what he could do with a ball and a funny guy. One of the first people I remember watching (probably on pro-celebrity golf)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Seve. Had so much charisma and passion for the game, it really was his life.
He was my hero as a young lad just starting to play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was not interested in golf until the 2000's so I missed the Seve, Faldo era. Ernie Els was the one I followed starting out, so good and THAT swing ?. If I was picking out one golfer it would be him.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seve was well into the back 9 of his career when I started playing although I was very aware of him as I'd watched golf since the early mid 80s.
Faldo was my favourite and was joined by Ernie
Of the current crop it's hard to look past Tommy....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tom Watson. Although I can remember watching Trevino beat Jacklin with some outrageous chipping and putting to win the Open I wasn't really into any particular player back then. But the '77 Open, Duel in the Sun, just blew me away. What a battle!

By the time Seve arrived on the scene my hero was Watson. However, although I'd been to a good few tournaments my first time watching Seve still stands out in my mind. He was genuinely head and shoulders above his contemporaries. The closest to him for shear entertainment and swashbuckling style was Greg Norman.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm too young to really remember Seve and while he was clearly an electric talent, a lot of the gamesmanship stuff you hear from the Ryder Cup actually puts me off.

I guess in the context of being big underdogs, it was probably acceptable at the time, but there's no way I'd want to see any of that these days.

However, I really love Lee Westwood. He seems like such a nice guy and I love the attitude he's shown in the past few years and the renaissance it's given his career.

If all the main protagonists from the last 15 to 20 years were heading down the stretch at Augusta on the 12th April this year, with a chance to win, I'd find it pretty hard to want anyone to win, other than Westwood.