Favourite golfer of all time

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Look at the Ryder Cup in Paris. The Americans couldn't handle it. I think the European Tour courses are generally a little tighter and with a touch more wind. You watch the PGA Tour and you hear them say "oh, the winds getting up a bit now" and the graphic pops up and tells you it blowing at 9mph.

Wide open courses favour the Americans since they are typically longer off the tee, so they are used to bomb and gouge. Their whole game revolves around it. I fully expect them to win the Ryder Cup this year as the course will let their team swing out their shoes and not get in much trouble.

I get that the American audience certainly have a different perception of wind. But considering most of the Ryder Cup team for both sides play predominantly PGA tour golf. I think it's more a mentality thing than ability issue. Our guys grew up with the weather so can accept the issues it brings.

Th, my main point was simply the comparison between woods and Seve and that the tours they played on weren't really relevant.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Funny that Seve always gets a free pass on his womanising, whilst Woods doesn't.

It's hard to look past Woods as my favourite player.

Grizzly

Visit site
I'm going to go leftfield, and say Older Jack Nicklaus.

I'm too young to remember him in his heyday. But my first memory of golf was watching him win that last Masters title in 1986 (I was nine, couldn't sleep and was allowed to sit with my Dad watching it) and one of my best was in 98 when he briefly threatened another run at the same. For me, top level sport is as much about the characters and the small moments, and I remember observing that every one of the elite players in competition to win were watching the scoreboard obsessive because it was Jack.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’d go for Luke Donald and Justin Rose as they both seem like such nice guys.
Lee Westwood too as I bet he is a good laugh to share a round with and I admire his resilience.
And finally, Ian Poulter for his sheer balls and Ryder Cup heroics.

Swango1980

Visit site
Tiger Woods. Maybe a boring answer, but ultimately it is probably his unbelievable ability to win in the late 90's / early 00's that cemented my interest in the game. Unbelievable watching how he could control his ball, and temperament, around the course and make those huge shots just when required.

Seve was a bit before my time, he was winding down his career by then. I think the first time I ever saw golf was the Open when John Daly won, and I remember my great grandad drooling over how far he could hit the ball in comparison to everyone else. That probably sparked my interest.

Others - Rory McIlroy, as he is a local lad from my neck of the woods. Bubba, because it is quite fun watching him hit crazy shots. Warmed a little to Phil Mickleson over the years, after no liking him previously. Colin Montgomery and Lee Westwood, probably due to their Ryder Cup exploits. Dustin Johnson, like the fact that he is so relaxed, yet still smashed it a million miles.

Golfers I do not like: JB Holmes (slow). Keegan Bradley (fidgety and slow). Webb Simpson (don't know why, just something about him). Bryson DeChambeau (slow and silly technical). Rory Sabbatini (pathetically angry, and if he is Slovakian, then I am an Ewok). I used to dislike Jordan Spieth, he just seemed quite slimy (which I know is probably unfair, he just had a great mental approach, without the Tiger ability), but warmed to him a little now that he is relatively rubbish. Not sure about Brooks Koepka. He might be just chilled out and a great lad. Or, he could be just arrogantly chilled out?