Favourite golfer of all time

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Tiger.

Started watching just as he came on the scene, and whilst he may not be the people’s champ, imo he’s broken more boundaries than any before him. I went to school that would chant awful things on the terraces, who suddenly changed their tunes when he came along....
From a golfing POV, there are lots of stars from the same era who are renowned for one thing, short game, putting etc, but he was simply better at almost all aspects when I first watched the game. So gravitated To him.

Mickelson is always fun to watch. Of the current crop I really like JT and Rahm.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sir Nick Faldo. Six major titles - and a single-minded devotedness to being the best he could possibly be.
Then everyone else tied for second ….. then Tiger.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Nick Faldo for me as he was the great player of his era. Before that I would say Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino. Always played the game in the right manner and attitude.
Lee Westwood for his longevity and Ian Poulter for the Ryder Cup.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Has always been Seve for me. He's the player that peeked my interest in golf, and the one I followed most when I first started. It was more his gung ho/ swashbuckling style of wildness, and his very charismatic persona. Very happy to have had the chance to follow him round a couple of different Open's back in the late 80's, early 90's.

I never used to like them much, but have warmed towards Tom Watson over recent years, as I have Tiger.

In the current crop, I make no secret of being a Rory fanboy, but I also like Henrik, Miguel Angel, Poults and EddiePep, they seem a little more human in general, and like to have a laugh..

D

Deleted member 21258

Used to be Monty, Laura Davis, carberra and Daly.

Now Bubba & Anne Van Dam/Lexi are the ones.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Phil Mickelson, just an all around fun guy and shares a few common interests. I imagine meeting some golf heroes could be boring in real life and dissapointing.

Springveldt

Visit site
Like many others, Seve. Can remember many a long afternoons in my Gran's back garden trying to pull off some of the shots he played like being on my knees in the hedges trying to chip out to a hole I had just dug with my 7 iron and a branch for a flag stick.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I do recall fondly Seve and Trevino doing Pro Celebrity golf - as that was my only real way of seeing pros play - yes there was the Open but that was just once a year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems like everyone's favourite Seve stories involved him hacking out of trees, was he just pants off the tee or what?
Defintely towards the end of his career. I didn't follow golf when he was in his prime so I can't comment about then. It is funny that you mention that though, they do seem to be people's favourite memories of him.

To be fair, Tiger has also been pants off the tee for many years but US courses don't penalise that so he can largely get away with it. Seve played most of his career on the European Tour which has a few more trees and bushes on the courses.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Defintely towards the end of his career. I didn't follow golf when he was in his prime so I can't comment about then. It is funny that you mention that though, they do seem to be people's favourite memories of him.

To be fair, Tiger has also been pants off the tee for many years but US courses don't penalise that so he can largely get away with it. Seve played most of his career on the European Tour which has a few more trees and bushes on the courses.

Tbf Woods has 41 European tour wins.

i don’t really buy that the Europeans play courses that much more difficult either. The scoring averages are pretty similar I believe. which Would mean more Europeans should clean up when they head to the easy (wide open) courses in America.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

i don’t really buy that the Europeans play courses that much more difficult either. The scoring averages are pretty similar I believe. which Would mean more Europeans should clean up when they head to the easy (wide open) courses in America.
The Woods comment is a very fair one but then he is a bit more than your average Joe. He, like Seve, has always been a great scrambler. He was also much more accurate in his early career, when I am guessing he won most of his European Tour wins.

The US courses are not easier, just different. They tend to be longer than European courses so the skills needed are different. US courses tend to favour bigger hitters rather than players who are accurate. Not always of course and the very best do both. I am not pouring scorn on American players, that would be daft.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site

Look at the Ryder Cup in Paris. The Americans couldn't handle it. I think the European Tour courses are generally a little tighter and with a touch more wind. You watch the PGA Tour and you hear them say "oh, the winds getting up a bit now" and the graphic pops up and tells you it blowing at 9mph.

Wide open courses favour the Americans since they are typically longer off the tee, so they are used to bomb and gouge. Their whole game revolves around it. I fully expect them to win the Ryder Cup this year as the course will let their team swing out their shoes and not get in much trouble.

Springveldt

Visit site
Seems like everyone's favourite Seve stories involved him hacking out of trees, was he just pants off the tee or what?
He wasn't the most accurate but his scrambling and imagination around the green was something else. It seemed like he could get up and down from anywhere.