Favourite curry

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Went to Abergavenny Food Festival and saw a demonstration by Cyrus Todiwalla. He had a good rant about people always saying they are going for a curry when they are going for an Indian. He, quite rightly, said that there is not a dish called curry on an Indian menu. When people go for a Thai, when there is red and green curry on the menu they never say they are having a curry, they say Thai.
Interesting, I’ve just watched Cyrus Todiwalla cook, in his own words, a beef CURRY

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
1, 2, 3 - for children or those of a weakling nature.

4, 5, 6 - lager boys and lightweights.

7 and 8 - Full grown adults.

9 and 10 - Now we are talking serious proper curries.

Mildest Curry
1. Korma
2. Pasanda
3. Biryani
4. Tikka Masala
5. Dhansak
6. Bhuna
7. Jalfrezi* - (beware pathetic versions of this in non-Indian eateries)
8. Madras
9. Vindaloo (I've done a few of these in my time)
10. Phall (Once was enough)
Hottest Curry

No mention of Rogan Josh??

To be honest, I don’t go for the first 3 nor the last 3. Other than that, I like to try something different whenever we go.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, Vegetable Samosa's...are they the same as Pakora's? My gf went to culinary school and is going to make an Indian for me this week from scratch with a leg of lamb, sounds yummy!
I'm not familiar with a pakora so had to Google it

Samosas are crispy potato filled pastries, while a pakora is more like a vegetable fritter

My own take, looking at the pictures of pakoras, is that they are deep fried in batter whilst samosas are pastry items.

Well played on finding a gf who went to culinary school ?. Happy days.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm not familiar with a pakora so had to Google it

Samosas are crispy potato filled pastries, while a pakora is more like a vegetable fritter

My own take, looking at the pictures of pakoras, is that they are deep fried in batter whilst samosas are pastry items.

Well played on finding a gf who went to culinary school ?. Happy days.

Correct. Pakora in Scotland is miles better than what you get in most places in England. In Scotland it is served with either a very spicy dip or "spicy onions", and it makes a massive difference to the taste. Down in England you tend just to get it with that yoghurty yellow sauce, or no sauce at all, there is no comparison.

sunshine

Visit site
1, 2, 3 - for children or those of a weakling nature.

4, 5, 6 - lager boys and lightweights.

7 and 8 - Full grown adults.

9 and 10 - Now we are talking serious proper curries.

Mildest Curry
1. Korma
2. Pasanda
3. Biryani
4. Tikka Masala
5. Dhansak
6. Bhuna
7. Jalfrezi* - (beware pathetic versions of this in non-Indian eateries)
8. Madras
9. Vindaloo (I've done a few of these in my time)
10. Phall (Once was enough)
Hottest Curry

If you're basing this on a 1-10 spice rating, you're eating in terrible restaurants where they are serving you gravy and just adding more or less chilli powder depending on what you order.

These dishes are all totally different, made with different spices and ingredients to give completely different flavours. Vindaloo is a Goan dish with a distinct vinegar and garlic flavour - it doesn't have to burn your insides. Korma is a north Indian dish that can be spicy.