Fatal flaw? Cupped wrist. How many use it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob. That makes sense that cupped would cause problems then since it seems to open the face right up?

I don't think I swing far enough back for it to be cupped or bowed, it's just flat I reckon. Not that I've ever looked. :D

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello
I recently saw the tutorial program on Sky where the man and girl teach golf tips etc, and this said that a cupped wrist at the top of the backswing was a fatal flaw. One should have a flat wrist or even bowed wrist, or else the ball will get hit with an open face.
I suspected that I used a cupped wrist and so I followed the instructions, but , cor blimey, it hurt quite a bit and restricted my backswing.
I accept the theory of it, and I know that some use the bowed wrist etc, but it's too hard for me.
I am in my seventies and I have small wrists, so it is probably that which limits me.
Do you all use a flat wrist or do you get away with a cupped wrist?
If the latter, do you do something in particular to counteract the open face?
Comments would be appreciated
Thanks
Fatal flaw in relation to what ? Look at Hogan he played with a cupped wrist, what about Trevino? His wrist was bowed. Duval, very strong grip but hit a nice fade. Colin Montgomerie takes the club way outside on the backswing, (fatal flaw) ?Dustin Johnson wrist is very bowed at the top again. It's how you naturally move and what you do on the down swing that will determine whether these faults need addressed or not. In short, dont listen to people who tell you it's a problem unless it actually is one.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
This is something that my pro has been teaching me this year. I've changed from cupped to bowed, as highlighted by Bob above. Get the face on target much more as a result, and driver flying better than ever. However, it's still work in progress and a few odd shots do drop in when I forget or over bow.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Fatal flaw in relation to what ? Look at Hogan he played with a cupped wrist, what about Trevino? His wrist was bowed. Duval, very strong grip but hit a nice fade. Colin Montgomerie takes the club way outside on the backswing, (fatal flaw) ?Dustin Johnson wrist is very bowed at the top again. It's how you naturally move and what you do on the down swing that will determine whether these faults need addressed or not. In short, dont listen to people who tell you it's a problem unless it actually is one.

I agree with what you say. The term "fatal flaw" was used by the tutor and his blonde assistant on the Sky tv programme. I don't (can't) use a bowed wrist
and I get along ok, but I don't draw the ball.
I've recently been following Jack Nicklaus "golf my way", like it a lot

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was interesting the one of the teaching pros was doing an analysis of Webb Simpson's swing and pointed out how much he cupped his wrists.

Not a bad fatal flaw for a person who came second.

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
The analysts did go on to point out that each wrist position had to be accompanied with a different release pattern in the hips/body and they could work only with a particular release. So there is no "one right way".
Personally I have struggled for years with a cupped wrist, maybe a weak grip, maybe a poor hip/body release - this game is so difficult. On some shots my striking is really good but unfortunately the majority are the result of a poor clubface contact-probably open and a swing path that has morphed from out to in to compensate for that.
I'm 70+ but the search goes on!!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The analysts did go on to point out that each wrist position had to be accompanied with a different release pattern in the hips/body and they could work only with a particular release. So there is no "one right way".
Personally I have struggled for years with a cupped wrist, maybe a weak grip, maybe a poor hip/body release - this game is so difficult. On some shots my striking is really good but unfortunately the majority are the result of a poor clubface contact-probably open and a swing path that has morphed from out to in to compensate for that.
I'm 70+ but the search goes on!!!
Each individual is different, at the top of my own swing my wrist would appear to be flat but as I start the downswing I start to bow my wrist, I hit a fade. It's all in the club path and where the face is in relation to it, a bowed wrist just generally de-lofts the club, if you look at most pro's at impact their left wrist will be supinated or 'bowed'