Fatal flaw? Cupped wrist. How many use it.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hello
I recently saw the tutorial program on Sky where the man and girl teach golf tips etc, and this said that a cupped wrist at the top of the backswing was a fatal flaw. One should have a flat wrist or even bowed wrist, or else the ball will get hit with an open face.
I suspected that I used a cupped wrist and so I followed the instructions, but , cor blimey, it hurt quite a bit and restricted my backswing.
I accept the theory of it, and I know that some use the bowed wrist etc, but it's too hard for me.
I am in my seventies and I have small wrists, so it is probably that which limits me.
Do you all use a flat wrist or do you get away with a cupped wrist?
If the latter, do you do something in particular to counteract the open face?
Comments would be appreciated
Thanks

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I have wrestled with a cupped wrist, at its worst i hit severe slices. I focus on the *feeling* of turning my wrist anti clockwise n the backswing, like a screwdriver then keeping it there on the downswing. If I get this right I get a lovely draw, if wrong and I don't rotate a lovley out to in swing produces a pull. Shall we say its a work in progress, but progress none the less.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have wrists, they do wristy things. I have no idea what they do, how they do it, what they are supposed to do. They span the gap between my arms, and my hands.

Every now and then, I can play golf pretty well.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Where is your club face pointing at impact ?

Well, if I concentrate and ensure a low right shoulder, and push the right hand through, I seem to go reasonably straight, but my inherent fault is a heavy fade. I find it hard to draw a shot.
I imagine I would draw the shot if I flattened or bowed the wrist, but I find it physically hard to do so.
Apparently I do have short ligaments, which I think may have something to do with it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I started in the 1970's we were taught to set the club with hinged (cupped) wrists. Modern teaching has changed but it's hard for me to break the habit although I am working hard to get a flatter wrist myself. Like or loathe his content, Mark Crossfield has done loads on flat wrists. Another interesting video here

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have no idea what my wrists do and no intention of ever thinking about it. I know my shot shape/flight and play accordingly.
Sounds like some people are overcomplicating things.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sky showed Webb Simpson tonight who has a massive cup at the top of his backswing.

Holmes said If he open up like say Dustin Johnson he will miss it massively out to the right.
Webb has very square hips and shoulders at impact and works hard to square up the face.

Might be something for you to think about homer as you rotate open quite quickly.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Best thing to do is work out what causes each shot shape. You should then have a good idea of your club face position in relation to swing path for each shot...work from there. Complicated, see a pro 🏌️👍

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure jack played with a cupped wrist and he played ok....

My tendency is cupped Though to be honest I do play better golf when I have my wrist flatter