Stack and tilt. How many use it or thinking of using it.?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
^
^
^
at 4.6 h/cap, why?

I can get the ball around without being a very solid ball striker. Been plagued with fats for years. Played the golf my life last year while trying to stay very centred. Feel S + tilt would benefit me and suit my flatish swing.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can get the ball around without being a very solid ball striker. Been plagued with fats for years. Played the golf my life last year while trying to stay very centred. Feel S + tilt would benefit me and suit my flatish swing.

It could be that your shoulder turn is too flat, that certainly has been the case with me. However I've found the following on YouTube useful:-

D

Deleted member 3432

A good coach should help you tighten up your current swing without needing to learn a new method.

Low handicap also doesn't equate to great ball striking. HIt it straightish, make good decisions and tidy short game and putting are enough.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It could be that your shoulder turn is too flat, that certainly has been the case with me. However I've found the following on YouTube useful:-

Oh I know my shoulders turn too flat. Unbelievably hard thing to change. I'm maybe not as bad as I used to be. I have been improving it ever so slightly. The body always wants to return to type. Especially on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the videos I've watched about this the only difference seems to be that they put more weight on the left side. Is that it?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven’t really looked at stack and tilt. My understanding was it was load up and then release with the pressure on your lead side so the knee looks like it is tilted ... of course I may have misinterpreted it completely ?

I just use drop and smash.. which assumes your on the correct plain on your take away and the gravity just starts you off and you just start to accelerate it ... the smash bit. For me it stops me coming over the top which kills power and line. Does it give me any more swing speed, not sure may be 1-2mph but the line is more consistent. My weight distribution is always majority on my lead foot and I need to be careful about swaying to the back foot, so I focus an inch in front of the ball and let my body move when it’s ready .. if any of that makes sense!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once heard Faldo mention S&T and that got me intrigued.
I searched around for something I could relate to and as a result I joined this forum!!
All down to JustOne, thanks fella. (y)
This was the thread that sucked me in;
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/stack-and-tilt-lets-have-a-heated-debate.33144/

I now watch a few videos by a guy called Tom Seguto, I just like his style .............................. many won't.
This is an interesting one, it references Tiger Woods!

I'd be interested in JustOne's take on this.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd be interested in JustOne's take on this.
Hey Simon, long time no speaky (y)

Couple of things - firstly that Tom Seguto guy is as mad as a box of frogs! Serious caffeine overdose.

Secondly it's very weird to see instructors (Tom Seguto & Nick Taylor) saying the same stuff in 2020 that I was saying back in Apr 2009 when I joined the forum.

I'll write something up tomorrow if I get the chance (y) Hope you are well mate.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey Simon, long time no speaky (y)

Couple of things - firstly that Tom Seguto guy is as mad as a box of frogs! Serious caffeine overdose.

Secondly it's very weird to see instructors (Tom Seguto & Nick Taylor) saying the same stuff in 2020 that I was saying back in Apr 2009 when I joined the forum.

I'll write something tomorrow up tomorrow if I get the chance (y) Hope you are well mate.

Good mate, yourself?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I once heard Faldo mention S&T and that got me intrigued.
I searched around for something I could relate to and as a result I joined this forum!!
All down to JustOne, thanks fella. (y)
This was the thread that sucked me in;
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/stack-and-tilt-lets-have-a-heated-debate.33144/

I started golfing in 1992 and by 1996 I had shot under par.... I wanted to be a pro, I was already 27, what a nob :p

I started reading all the books, magazines, picking the brains of all my decent golf buddies (one guy shot 8 under thru 9 holes) and had a few lessons from teaching pros.

By 1999 I had quit. My game was simply getting worse. I was trying to do all the stuff I was reading and being told and it was just making me worse.

Some of the things I'll list below:

Change of grip
Turn shoulders flatter
Turn shoulders 90°
Lift the arms more
Release the club
Wider stance,.. narrower stance
Swing more in to out
Better clubs
Toe weighted clubs
Build torque by resisting hip turn
Turn into my right side.............. the list of 'fixes' actually just goes on and on.
My love of the game was still there but I figured at 30 I'd never be a tour pro
:LOL::LOL:

2005 I started playing a few games after a lovely 6yr break, I wasn't too bad and was low single figures quite quickly, I was back to enjoying the game.
2008 I had a poor round and had hit a few fat shots so I decided to Google a cure and I saw this video...

And I though that's what I would like to do... hit shots without hitting fat ones. So then I wanted to find out more about this Mike Bennett guy and I found this video..

THIS VIDEO IS CATEGORICALLY WHY YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THESE GUYS (in my opinion)
If you are religious it was like God actually turning up and floating around the sky so the entire world can see him/her.
If you are not religious it was like a priest telling you the world is 5000yrs old even though you have a 50 million year old fossil in your hand.
It was a REVELATION ..... and I was furious!!!
You just need to listen to the words,... Mike Bennett left competitive golf, and I felt the same, poor instuction had cost me my erm,..career :unsure:

and all the instructors of the world were crapping themselves, they had to try and kill it as soon as they could or else face they were wrong.

I mean for generations of golf instructors to be teaching stuff backwards, give you fixes that didn't work or you didn't even need was literally unbelievable.

Further research led to reading about the swing itself and discovering the truth about the ballflight laws.

Once you know about the ballflight laws then you can start to piece the puzzle together and realise that what you THOUGHT you know was probably wrong. I mean how could anyone rightly know about golf swings if PGA instructors didn't even know?

Justin Rose getting the ballflight laws WRONG (and therefore teaching the wrong way)

Nick Faldo getting the ball flight laws WRONG...
nick_faldo_wrong_ball_flight_laws.jpg

David Leadbetter
"Traditional teaching where you're purely working on the mechanics and HOPEFULLY the ball takes off"

Once you start piecing these things together you realise that there are things that you HAVE TO listen to, so what of it? so what about stack and tilt?

In my opinion UNLESS you are 11yrs old and playing off single figures, 15-17yrs old and playing off PLUS figures wanting to turn pro and are already a member at an ELITE golfcourse reknowned for churning out Tour professionals, about to enroll in some sort of college program for golf at an American Sports University, are already part of the Walker Cup team :D:D then stack and tilt is something that you should look at with an open mind, and embrace at some level.

If you want to swing like you're a 15yr old athlete, flat out, top speed and literally thrash the golfball at your 120% best every time you strike it - then you seriously have an issue. Just because you ONCE hit a decent 7-iron 190yds because you practically jumped out of your shoes does not mean that your average 7-iron goes 190yds. You probably mishit a lot of those flat out swings, .... why don't you TRY to fix that?

Most forumers are golf heroes, we all know that, but 99.9% of them are crap at golf... and will do their best to STOP you improving, weirdly.

After looking at stack and tilt thru 2009 and doing my best to learn what I could (there were no instructors) my game kept improving.
2010 whilst playing with a fellow forumer I shot a personal best 67 (4 under par)

So those videos you posted Simon are great, it's all great, they cover all the fundamentals that all of us NOT GOING TO BE A TOUR PRO golfers can follow (y)

Just my thoughts Simon, probably won't help none :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started golfing in 1992 and by 1996 I had shot under par.... I wanted to be a pro, I was already 27, what a nob :p

I started reading all the books, magazines, picking the brains of all my decent golf buddies (one guy shot 8 under thru 9 holes) and had a few lessons from teaching pros.

By 1999 I had quit. My game was simply getting worse. I was trying to do all the stuff I was reading and being told and it was just making me worse.

Some of the things I'll list below:

Change of grip
Turn shoulders flatter
Turn shoulders 90°
Lift the arms more
Release the club
Wider stance,.. narrower stance
Swing more in to out
Better clubs
Toe weighted clubs
Build torque by resisting hip turn
Turn into my right side.............. the list of 'fixes' actually just goes on and on.
My love of the game was still there but I figured at 30 I'd never be a tour pro
:LOL::LOL:

2005 I started playing a few games after a lovely 6yr break, I wasn't too bad and was low single figures quite quickly, I was back to enjoying the game.
2008 I had a poor round and had hit a few fat shots so I decided to Google a cure and I saw this video...

And I though that's what I would like to do... hit shots without hitting fat ones. So then I wanted to find out more about this Mike Bennett guy and I found this video..

THIS VIDEO IS CATEGORICALLY WHY YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THESE GUYS (in my opinion)
If you are religious it was like God actually turning up and floating around the sky so the entire world can see him/her.
If you are not religious it was like a priest telling you the world is 5000yrs old even though you have a 50 million year old fossil in your hand.
It was a REVELATION ..... and I was furious!!!
You just need to listen to the words,... Mike Bennett left competitive golf, and I felt the same, poor instuction had cost me my erm,..career :unsure:

and all the instructors of the world were crapping themselves, they had to try and kill it as soon as they could or else face they were wrong.

I mean for generations of golf instructors to be teaching stuff backwards, give you fixes that didn't work or you didn't even need was literally unbelievable.

Further research led to reading about the swing itself and discovering the truth about the ballflight laws.

Once you know about the ballflight laws then you can start to piece the puzzle together and realise that what you THOUGHT you know was probably wrong. I mean how could anyone rightly know about golf swings if PGA instructors didn't even know?

Justin Rose getting the ballflight laws WRONG (and therefore teaching the wrong way)

Nick Faldo getting the ball flight laws WRONG...
nick_faldo_wrong_ball_flight_laws.jpg

David Leadbetter
"Traditional teaching where you're purely working on the mechanics and HOPEFULLY the ball takes off"

Once you start piecing these things together you realise that there are things that you HAVE TO listen to, so what of it? so what about stack and tilt?

In my opinion UNLESS you are 11yrs old and playing off single figures, 15-17yrs old and playing off PLUS figures wanting to turn pro and are already a member at an ELITE golfcourse reknowned for churning out Tour professionals, about to enroll in some sort of college program for golf at an American Sports University, are already part of the Walker Cup team :D:D then stack and tilt is something that you should look at with an open mind, and embrace at some level.

If you want to swing like you're a 15yr old athlete, flat out, top speed and literally thrash the golfball at your 120% best every time you strike it - then you seriously have an issue. Just because you ONCE hit a decent 7-iron 190yds because you practically jumped out of your shoes does not mean that your average 7-iron goes 190yds. You probably mishit a lot of those flat out swings, .... why don't you TRY to fix that?

Most forumers are golf heroes, we all know that, but 99.9% of them are crap at golf... and will do their best to STOP you improving, weirdly.

After looking at stack and tilt thru 2009 and doing my best to learn what I could (there were no instructors) my game kept improving.
2010 whilst playing with a fellow forumer I shot a personal best 67 (4 under par)

So those videos you posted Simon are great, it's all great, they cover all the fundamentals that all of us NOT GOING TO BE A TOUR PRO golfers can follow (y)

Just my thoughts Simon, probably won't help none :LOL::LOL:

That's a scary video of Justin Rose getting it all wrong!
Oh, and thanks for your thoughts, very informative. (y)

D

Deleted member 3432

That's a scary video of Justin Rose getting it all wrong!
Oh, and thanks for your thoughts, very informative. (y)

He can still hit the shot to order, how many of us can do that even if we do know the ball flight laws?

D

Deleted Member 1156

He can still hit the shot to order, how many of us can do that even if we do know the ball flight laws?
My thoughts exactly, he is apparently 'getting it wrong' yet he can still hit a draw or fade to order. Go figure :unsure: