Fallacy or Fact

JayB

Visit site
Handicap golfers using laser distance devices look like plonkers.
F or f....
Depends what using it for, I have a laser but very rarely use is as my GPS watch is more than accurate enough for my ability. I only really use it at unfamiliar courses and only then to pick landing areas.

I have seen someone use a laser while stood next to the 150 yard marker post, yes he did look like a plonker

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Depends what using it for, I have a laser but very rarely use is as my GPS watch is more than accurate enough for my ability. I only really use it at unfamiliar courses and only then to pick landing areas.

I have seen someone use a laser while stood next to the 150 yard marker post, yes he did look like a plonker

How do you know if the 150 marker is right? We’ve only got removable posts, which have comically been moved in the past.

We’ve got greens that are 40 yards long. That’s a 3 club difference to most recreational golfers. On some greens it’s difficult to tell where the hole is actually cut. So the range finder is a great tool to get the right distance.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How do you know if the 150 marker is right? We’ve only got removable posts, which have comically been moved in the past.

We’ve got greens that are 40 yards long. That’s a 3 club difference to most recreational golfers. On some greens it’s difficult to tell where the hole is actually cut. So the range finder is a great tool to get the right distance.
Yup, most 150 yd markers on courses that I play are to the front and I have no idea of the depth of greens.
I usually use middle /back yardages in club planning and find the posts useless.I use GPS rather than rangefinder though.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
High handicap players would get better if they dropped half of the clubs out of the bag.
They do not hit consistently enough to have a 10 yard gap between irons.
They might not get worse, not sure there's much reason to think they'd be getting better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup, most 150 yd markers on courses that I play are to the front and I have no idea of the depth of greens.
I usually use middle /back yardages in club planning and find the posts useless.I use GPS rather than rangefinder though.
Funny that most of the clubs I have played have the yardage to the middle.

Which does beg 2 questions
1. Who decided what is the middle of the green
2. if there is only one marker and it is ten yards outside of the fairway where is the 150 yards from the middle of the fairway ( ie was the post put in the right position relative to the middle).

The old yardage books used to show the green length.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Adjustable clubs are a scam. Sold to the average golfer as a more expensive benefit when all it does is allow the manufacturer to save on production costs and expensive fitting carts, the retailer to hold less stock as they only need one head and a couple of shafts and yet golfers are then charged more for something that few will even change as it has been 'fitted' for them (see earlier post, is fitting a scam)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

My course has red, yellow or white flags for front, middle and back, which I love, as I use a GPS app so it just lets me know whether to play for the middle or the back of the green. The problem is when I go to another course that doesn't have it, but I forget, see a white flag and think it means back of green when it doesn't - it's just that all of their flags are white. :LOL: Should be a rule that all clubs have to have colour-coded flags I think...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Adjustable clubs are a scam. Sold to the average golfer as a more expensive benefit when all it does is allow the manufacturer to save on production costs and expensive fitting carts, the retailer to hold less stock as they only need one head and a couple of shafts and yet golfers are then charged more for something that few will even change as it has been 'fitted' for them (see earlier post, is fitting a scam)
That just sounds like it benefits everybody. Just because you wouldn't change it, it doesn't mean it's not helpful to be able to change the loft. My 7 wood is adjusted down from 22.5 to 21.5. If I wasn't able to do that, it would be too close to my hybrid which is 23, so wouldn't be worth carrying it.

High handicap players would get better if they dropped half of the clubs out of the bag.
They do not hit consistently enough to have a 10 yard gap between irons.
True to some extent. My wife only uses about 7 clubs, and only one of them is an iron. (Driver, 5W, hybrid, 7iron, PW, SW, putter.) As you say, gaps are too small and inconsistent to bother getting her a set of irons. Hybrid is around 90-110 yards, 7i around 70-80, PW 50-60 etc. Vast majority of her fairway shots she just hits the 5 wood anyway.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some years ago at my old club, we had three clubs and a putter competitions. I don't remember the scores being different.
All our limited club competitions are played in winter when course length and conditions make comparisons difficult.
From personal experience when I go out with a pencil bag and a few clubs my impression is I score a little worse though I haven't a statistical analysis to be sure.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
2. if there is only one marker and it is ten yards outside of the fairway where is the 150 yards from the middle of the fairway ( ie was the post put in the right position relative to the middle).
Strangely, only about a yard or so difference at 150 yds (good old Pythagoras). Not a concern to most golfers, but I realise that some on here wouldn't be able to cope with that inaccuracy :rolleyes: