Eureka!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
WARNING - Boring 'blog-like' post coming up.
sleeping.gif

I have these moments - when you suddenly realise what's wrong with your swing - fairly regularly. Probably not unique in that.

It's also probably not unique that the good effects from it last anywhere from a few holes to a few rounds, before the wheels fall off and you start searching again for 'the secret'.

Well, I had another one last night.

For months I've been over analysing, looking for the reason why my shots (specifically direction) are erratic.
It's very frustrating that I hit the ball better 3 years ago when I played off 10/11. My short game has improved no end, but my ball striking has gone backwards.

As above, I've tried a few different things with varying degrees of success, but ultimately not found out why. Now I think I have, although it could be another false dawn.
The reason I don't think it will be, is that this time I have physical evidence rather than just a feeling in the swing which may or may not be real.

I used to suffer from wearing holes in my gloves, which was caused by holding the grip so far up that the end was digging into my palm. My current glove has started to develop the same wear patch so even though I hadn't noticed myself doing it, I thought I'd slipped back into bad habits.

At the range last night though, I wondered if it were being caused by the grip moving in my hand, so I had a few practice swings and played a few shots just concentrating on what my left hand was doing. It was loosening it's grip on the club at the top of my backswing so that the club was just cradled in the fingers - not touching the palm at all!! How dare it!
No wonder I've not been able to hit the ball with any consistency. I must be regripping closed sometimes, square sometimes, and open others. Like a lucky dip but with horrible prizes.

Anyway, tightened the grip with my left hand and just concentrated on keeping it connected through the swing. It felt like the club was way open at the top and that I would slice the bejeezus out of everything, but shot after shot went dead straight.

I even tried closing the face a little and the ball went right to left. That might not sound unusual, but in the past I could close the face loads without the ball drawing - presumably because of this 'regripping' at the top and subconsciously squaring it back up.

That's it. Time will tell if it's another case of golfing hypochondria or not, but I now have a fresh optimism that I might start hitting more than 3 or 4 fairways per round, I wonder how long it will last?

All this happened last night at the range, and this morning I've been googling about it in case it had happened to others, and found quite a few coaches/instructors saying it's one of the most common faults that we have no idea we're doing.

So if you're struggling with inconsistent contact and direction, try swinging with a tee peg held inbetween the grip and the fleshy part of your palm underneath the left thumb, and see if it stays there.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's nice to have these moments of brilliance. I too have made some vital connections between my head and arms in the last month, which has seen me shoot 3 of my best ever scores (including a +14 and +13 with a (now) 18 handicap). I've had it stuck in my head for a month now so hoping it'll see through to the end of the year at least...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It is indeed common and not easy to spot.
Normally it's caused by people trying to increase their wrist hinge or lengthen a short backswing.
But as you say, all it does is open up the left hand.
Just dont overdo it and put a death grip on it ;)

A

Alex1975

You closed the face and the ball went RIGHT to left........ hmmmmmm.........

My guess is he closed it at address but at impact it was open... I think I just wrote something really obvious....:eek:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I remember a vid GM did with Álvaro Quirós who said his glove never shows any wear there or anywhere on his glove- he has light pressure but ensures the last 2 fingers of his left hand (for righties) and his right hand trigger fingers had slightly more pressure...

Tom Watson also says the same...........key is (as Bob says) not to grip it tightly......just firmly...Seve always said to think of it as holding a bird (feathered) in your hands, firm enough to stop it flying away but light enough not to kill it.....

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
So much of what we do is not easy to spot unless you are a bobmac type.

I was so piddled off with missing everything left, especially shorter irons and went for a lesson.

I hit six seven irons, as you would expect - straight down the middle, because the pro was standing watching and he stated ' no problem, you are breaking your wrist before you even take the club head back'

We differed!!!! I was certain that if this was the case I would know.

Video watched and ... He was correct. The badge on my glove went from looking at the target to looking at the sky as the first move in my take away with the inherent problem back at the hitting area on the way through.

Correcting it was so difficult that I did not feel I could ever hit a ball well again. No longer a problem but I now have many more - that is golf!

The point .... I feel if the pros require continual, ongoing, coaching and tweaking of their swing by experts , we should just enjoy when we feel that eureka moment or when our BIG PRO allows us a half decent round that offers a wee bit of a brag over a pint.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is indeed common and not easy to spot.
Normally it's caused by people trying to increase their wrist hinge or lengthen a short backswing.
But as you say, all it does is open up the left hand.
Just dont overdo it and put a death grip on it ;)

That's what I think I was subconsciously doing. Villegas length for me from now on (backswing, not total distance!)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And to just reinforce how important some of this stuff can be, Ben Hogan actually credited the change of his thumb, from 'long' to 'short', as a (if not the) major contributor to his improvement.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was going to say it drew but I knew you'd make a comment.

The ball moved to the left from wherever it started.

No worries I'm just trying to decipher what is going on, path or face. It's irrelevant though if you feel you are hitting the ball better. Happy days!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No worries I'm just trying to decipher what is going on, path or face. It's irrelevant though if you feel you are hitting the ball better. Happy days!

Closing the face was just an experiment to see if it remained closed when I swung, and it did according to the ball flight.

I didn't try to swing more out at the ball or start it off on a certain line, I just wanted it to move to the left in the air so without altering anything else I just closed the face a bit.

I'll worry about trying to control the path of the ball to something resembling useful if my tweak works on the course as well as the range. :D :thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
WARNING - Boring 'blog-like' post coming up.
sleeping.gif

I have these moments - when you suddenly realise what's wrong with your swing - fairly regularly. Probably not unique in that.

It's also probably not unique that the good effects from it last anywhere from a few holes to a few rounds, before the wheels fall off and you start searching again for 'the secret'.

Well, I had another one last night.

For months I've been over analysing, looking for the reason why my shots (specifically direction) are erratic.
It's very frustrating that I hit the ball better 3 years ago when I played off 10/11. My short game has improved no end, but my ball striking has gone backwards.

As above, I've tried a few different things with varying degrees of success, but ultimately not found out why. Now I think I have, although it could be another false dawn.
The reason I don't think it will be, is that this time I have physical evidence rather than just a feeling in the swing which may or may not be real.

I used to suffer from wearing holes in my gloves, which was caused by holding the grip so far up that the end was digging into my palm. My current glove has started to develop the same wear patch so even though I hadn't noticed myself doing it, I thought I'd slipped back into bad habits.

At the range last night though, I wondered if it were being caused by the grip moving in my hand, so I had a few practice swings and played a few shots just concentrating on what my left hand was doing. It was loosening it's grip on the club at the top of my backswing so that the club was just cradled in the fingers - not touching the palm at all!! How dare it!
No wonder I've not been able to hit the ball with any consistency. I must be regripping closed sometimes, square sometimes, and open others. Like a lucky dip but with horrible prizes.

Anyway, tightened the grip with my left hand and just concentrated on keeping it connected through the swing. It felt like the club was way open at the top and that I would slice the bejeezus out of everything, but shot after shot went dead straight.

I even tried closing the face a little and the ball went right to left. That might not sound unusual, but in the past I could close the face loads without the ball drawing - presumably because of this 'regripping' at the top and subconsciously squaring it back up.

That's it. Time will tell if it's another case of golfing hypochondria or not, but I now have a fresh optimism that I might start hitting more than 3 or 4 fairways per round, I wonder how long it will last?

All this happened last night at the range, and this morning I've been googling about it in case it had happened to others, and found quite a few coaches/instructors saying it's one of the most common faults that we have no idea we're doing.

So if you're struggling with inconsistent contact and direction, try swinging with a tee peg held inbetween the grip and the fleshy part of your palm underneath the left thumb, and see if it stays there.

Having played with you quite recently,i question your analysis of your game.
At East Devon your driving was amazing and it got me thinking about my overall game.
My handicap is virtually the same as yours,and your long game blows mine out the water.
However I believe your short game could be better.
Of course absolutely nothing to do with what your on about grip wise,however could
you be looking in the wrong area for improvement.
I honestly believe if I drove as well as you I could be a 4 handicap,so where do you see your handicap
being if you had a great short game?