Fractured pinky

Celticnoel

Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice if anyone has suffered a fractured finger and returned to golf? I fractured my pinky 3 weeks ago, it's healed pretty well and quickly to be fair, but I have a golf outing in 2 weeks time so thought I'd try hit a few balls at the range. First thing I noticed straight away is I can't grip the club right, I'm a right handed golfer and my injured finger is in my left hand, after a few swings it became clear I wasn't able to grip it right, I tried overlapping my pinky on top of my ring finger and it definitely helped, my question though is, has anyone had a similar injury and did it affect their game long term? Will 2 weeks more recovery time be enough time to be able to grip the club right? The pain isn't bad although on a course that could be different if in heavy rough etc. Any advice appreciated 👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice if anyone has suffered a fractured finger and returned to golf? I fractured my pinky 3 weeks ago, it's healed pretty well and quickly to be fair, but I have a golf outing in 2 weeks time so thought I'd try hit a few balls at the range. First thing I noticed straight away is I can't grip the club right, I'm a right handed golfer and my injured finger is in my left hand, after a few swings it became clear I wasn't able to grip it right, I tried overlapping my pinky on top of my ring finger and it definitely helped, my question though is, has anyone had a similar injury and did it affect their game long term? Will 2 weeks more recovery time be enough time to be able to grip the club right? The pain isn't bad although on a course that could be different if in heavy rough etc. Any advice appreciated 👍
It’s more you havnt used it for three weeks.
muscle wastage dosnt take long .
you will have to regain the strength in it.
get a ball to squeeze to build it up.
once you do this it will be fine.

You wouldn’t just go and play football after a broken leg it needs time building it up.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been playing for about a month with a pinky that I have broken twice in the same place. I use an interlocking grip and as long as I don't fat it (as that puts a load of strain on it) it's a little painful but it doesn't stop me playing.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve had what I suspect is a small fracture and it still hurts sometimes. I’ve been doing grip strengthening exercises over the last couple of weeks and that has alleviated the issue when playing golf.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I uses to play in goal as well as golf. Always seemed to fracture a finger at the end of the season, just in time for summer golf!!! Gave up football!

I used to allow 6 weeks, just to be certain it had healed. Maybe did the range week 6, but not before. I always felt arthritis could be brought on early if I rushed back.

Only time I rushed back to golf too soon was after an appendectomy. Too difficult to swing steel shafted irons, so I did the sensible thing... and bought a set of Yonex graphite irons and played a month or two ahead of schedule! 🤣

Celticnoel

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses folks much appreciated, yeah I've got 3 specific exercises to do using my hands and fingers, I can manage 2/3 no problem but it seems although the fracture itself is healing great I may have tendon damage and that would suggest why I can't fully grip the club right, hopefully over time it will return to 'normal' but in the meantime I'll continue with the strengthening exercises and I've been given the green light to play in a fortnight if all goes well, yipeeeeeeeeeee