Electric trolley downhill braking

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new electric trolley and have narrowed down my search to either a Powakaddy FX3 or Motocaddy M1. I see that downhill braking is an option on both models and have many time is the past wished my current trolley had some form of downhill braking.

So my question are the braking systems effective and worth the extra?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new electric trolley and have narrowed down my search to either a Powakaddy FX3 or Motocaddy M1. I see that downhill braking is an option on both models and have many time is the past wished my current trolley had some form of downhill braking.

IMO no, how steep are the hills

Grumps

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got recommended it last year as the brake system keeps it under control while rolling down hills n paths .
It was strange at first as when you press stop it stops instantly but I do see the difference as it doesn’t run away when going down the slopes

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think so. I have EBS on my Powakaddy C2i, I also have some weakness in my knees and the EBS takes the pressure off knees / legs / arms when travelling steeply downhill with a fully laden bag.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have the Motocaddy M5 Connect DHC and find it very useful for both controlling the speed going downhill and also using the Park on windy days, it certainly works well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As strange as it is I have noticed it is on my Motocaddy S7. Yes it helps. And it is good.
I don’t know why but I fitted hedgehog wheels to my trolley for the winter. Although the wheels help the course it has draw backs.
1, it does not work ( fully ) with the remote control. It will stop and start. But left and right. No. so it is used as a normal trolley.
2, am not to sure it works the downhill braking either with hedgehog wheels, there have been times where I have felt I am being dragged down hills as it wants to freewheel.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK So I've decided downhill braking is for me, now I've got to work out which brand and model to go for.

Motocaddy's DHC also mentions a parking brake function, which seems to be lacking on PowaKaddy's EBS. So that sways me towards Motocaddy M1, also the PowaKaddy FX3 is missing a feature I use from time to time, namely fixed distance. To get the fixed distance feature you have to move up to the FX5, but for some reason the FX5 doesn't offer EBS as an option. So I would have to go for the FX7 but just seems to add a bunch of things I have no interest in, such as round timer etc.

So the Motocaddy M1 seemed to be the winner....then I saw the PowaKaddy CT6 which has all the features I want and is priced slightly higher than the M1.

Never thought choosing a new trolley would be so hard!

Boomy

Visit site
I have the Powakaddy CT6 and regret not getting the EBS model. Other than my own stupidity not getting the EBS model the CT6 trolley is ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ in my opinion. Folds away really neatly and easy up, easy down. Smooth power and simple controls. I also only got the 18 hole battery but it easily lasts me 2 rounds (could be down to playing a links course so less strain on the battery)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest I was all set to get a CT6 during 1st lockdown but had to go for the M3Pro as it was all anyone had in stock bar the "RollsRoyce" version s.
Not regretted it..M3 is a solid performer.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So took a trip out to my American Golf, just to get an idea of the size of the Motocaddy and PowaKaddy trollies. They didn't have any in stock with downhill control (save for a PowaKaddy FX7 GPS EBS which was way out of my price range). Saw a regular FX3 and M1 and got to play with then a bit. One thing I realised was neither trolley when folded down is going to fit in the space I'm boot under where the roof fold down into (I've got a 2 series convertible). So new trolley is going to live on the back seat it seems, so decent travel bag needed too.

AG then pushed me quite hard towards their MGI exclusive range, particularly the Z5 which has downhill braking as standard. It was OK and came with a full set of accessories and a cart bag, but didn't quite seem the same quality as Motocaddy and PowaKaddy.

So I came home, found a PowaKaddy CT6 EBS online at ClubhouseGolf in stock for £699 (free umbrella holder) and added the travel cover and drinks holder for a total of £746. Should arrive on Thursday.

All I need now is for my home course to open after the ravages of storm Eunice!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So took a trip out to my American Golf, just to get an idea of the size of the Motocaddy and PowaKaddy trollies. They didn't have any in stock with downhill control (save for a PowaKaddy FX7 GPS EBS which was way out of my price range). Saw a regular FX3 and M1 and got to play with then a bit. One thing I realised was neither trolley when folded down is going to fit in the space I'm boot under where the roof fold down into (I've got a 2 series convertible). So new trolley is going to live on the back seat it seems, so decent travel bag needed too.

AG then pushed me quite hard towards their MGI exclusive range, particularly the Z5 which has downhill braking as standard. It was OK and came with a full set of accessories and a cart bag, but didn't quite seem the same quality as Motocaddy and PowaKaddy.

So I came home, found a PowaKaddy CT6 EBS online at ClubhouseGolf in stock for £699 (free umbrella holder) and added the travel cover and drinks holder for a total of £746. Should arrive on Thursday.

All I need now is for my home course to open after the ravages of storm Eunice!
I believe on both CT6 and M series the back wheels can be inverted to reduce the width considerably....

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Impressed with Clubhouse Golf, CT6 EBS ordered Tuesday, delivered today.

Will get it's first run out next week at Test Valley, which ironically is a pretty flat course.