Eden/Strathtyrum tournaments at St Andrews

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

TomRogers147

Hacker
Visit site
Wow, I was thinking of getting there for 3am ish so I would at least get a few hours kip. What time to you tee off in the end? Worth a caddie? My mate played it last year and said he was glad he hired one

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I ended up teeing off just after 12, but you don't have to wait. Once they open up at about 6-6.30, they will give you a time if there is one available and then you are free to go.
I think the queuing thing is a bit pot luck, I went at 2.30 because a guy staying in the same place as me said he had gone at 3am and didn't get on. As it happened I could have gone at 5 and got a place. It depends on how many are in the queue and how many slots are free.
I didn't have a caddy but one the people in my group did and he did give the rest of us a few tips.

TomRogers147

Hacker
Visit site
I ended up teeing off just after 12, but you don't have to wait. Once they open up at about 6-6.30, they will give you a time if there is one available and then you are free to go.
I think the queuing thing is a bit pot luck, I went at 2.30 because a guy staying in the same place as me said he had gone at 3am and didn't get on. As it happened I could have gone at 5 and got a place. It depends on how many are in the queue and how many slots are free.
I didn't have a caddy but one the people in my group did and he did give the rest of us a few tips.

Ok, thanks. Tough luck getting there at 3am and not getting on! I may try for the first Saturday then and if unsuccessful try again on the Saturday after.

D

Deleted member 17920

Have just booked myself seven nights in of the university halls (Macintosh hall, apparently less than 5 minutes walk from the old course!).

The plan is to try and play the old course on either the Saturday before or after the tournament (by queuing up at the crack of dawn, unless I can find someone to enter the ballot with). Now just need to book the travel...
Tom,

What did it cost you for the accommodation?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just received an email from Jan to that effect. Final cut will be made on Friday 10th March :clap:

Mark sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you won't get in I'm afraid. There will be more entries from the low boys to come pushing you even further down the list. Some people will drop out when it's time to pay but not enough to get you above the cut line :(

D

Deleted member 17920

Mark sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you won't get in I'm afraid. There will be more entries from the low boys to come pushing you even further down the list. Some people will drop out when it's time to pay but not enough to get you above the cut line :(
You bad man :whistle:

D

Deleted member 17920

I have booked myself into Macintosh hall for 7 nights (@ £50 pn). It's a single bed room with breakfast included and shared bathroom facilities. Literally a stones throw away from the old course so ideal.
Cheers Tom,

I am just starting to have a look at accommodation.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had to wait until July last year before I got in so you never know, some people will take themselves off the reserve list.

TomRogers147

Hacker
Visit site
I'm currently in the process of looking for transport to St Andrews for the tournament. Probably going to be the train, don't have a car available for the whole week and a long way to drive on my own anyway. Don't suppose anyone else will be getting the train? Could meet up if going on the same route.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wrong side of the country for me Tom.

I will be driving up and my golf hating mate is coming up with me, don't know what she is going to do with herself all week, I might convert her. Have booked a B&B near where I stayed last year.

Glyn the website stayinStandrews is very good , you put you requirements in and then people email you with availability, I have used them both last year and this.