Driver Recommendations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You guys nailed it when I needed a hybrid and your suggestions got me a lovely club, so I'm asking for your help again! :)

I first had a 12° Yonex thing which I bought as a bit of a stop gap. I hit it ok but it made a horrendous tinny noise, plus I tended to draw with it, so that coupled with the loft meant it basically stopped dead when it hit the ground. I bought a Ping G15 10.5° based off some good reviews I saw but I've struggled big time to hit with this as well. One day I was pushing them to the right, other days I can hardly get it off the ground. Granted it's probably more me than a club, but I'm just losing faith in it, and confidence in the club you're holding is usually a good start. Plus we all love buying new shiny clubs don't we?

I'm selling the Yonex one to my dad as he likes it, and I should be able to sell the G15 easily enough too, so I'd like to hear your recommendations to fit the following criteria, if you'd be so kind:

• ideally no more than £100 (more than happy to go second hand, the last two were)
  • easy to hit for a high handicapper - a nice high launch would be beneficial, and forgiving for off-centre hits
  • I don't necessarily want to go back to a 12° but I think an adjustable loft would be good, so I could maybe set it to 11° or 11.5 and see how I do with that. I also tend to hook/draw my drives if anything, so the adjustment capability could be handy there as well.

So short version - adjustable driver for high-handicapper, under £100??

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
G15 is probably as forgiving as you're going to get for that price. I'd suggest it's not the driver at fault. Spend the £100 on some lessons to get your driving sorted.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in them the same situation as you a few months ago. The Nike Covert 2.0 is a lovely driver in that price range right now - if you can wait a few months for the price to come down or stretch a little more then I would look at the Ping G as an alternative - have a pretend fitting first though to see if the std, ls tec or sf tec suits you better

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cobra King F6 is a shade over £100.00 on GolfBidder. I've always liked Cobra drivers, easy to hit and the F6 has lots of adjustability.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if you weren't budget constrained, I'd say go and get properly fitted for a new driver. That way, you can be sure that it's not the driver and concentrate on improving technique to improve results.

Without fitting, there is always a niggle about whether it's the driver or not even if it is sub-conscious!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
G15 is probably as forgiving as you're going to get for that price. I'd suggest it's not the driver at fault. Spend the £100 on some lessons to get your driving sorted.

I figured someone would say that. I know it's probably the right call, and I'm not wholly against it, but I kind of have this thing about having got as far as I have without any lessons so far... I know I'll need some eventually but I'm happy to keep going if I can find a driver that works for me in the meantime.

I reckon if the next driver doesn't work then it'll be time for a lesson. That'll be a whole other thing to work out though since I haven't had one for 16 years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was in them the same situation as you a few months ago. The Nike Covert 2.0 is a lovely driver in that price range right now - if you can wait a few months for the price to come down or stretch a little more then I would look at the Ping G as an alternative - have a pretend fitting first though to see if the std, ls tec or sf tec suits you better
I like the look of the Covert 2.0. Reviews say it's easy to adjust as well, which will be handy since I've never owned an adjustable club before. And it's 90-99 quid on Golfbidder.

And it looks nice because it's red. Haha.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I figured someone would say that. I know it's probably the right call, and I'm not wholly against it, but I kind of have this thing about having got as far as I have without any lessons so far... I know I'll need some eventually but I'm happy to keep going if I can find a driver that works for me in the meantime.

I reckon if the next driver doesn't work then it'll be time for a lesson. That'll be a whole other thing to work out though since I haven't had one for 16 years.

Fair enough. Depends on your goals I guess. If you're keen to improve, and improve quickly, then lessons are a no-brainer. Equipment can only do so much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough. Depends on your goals I guess. If you're keen to improve, and improve quickly, then lessons are a no-brainer. Equipment can only do so much.

Yeah, I get that. Right now it's my first year as a club member so I'm just enjoying it really - and trying different clubs is part of the fun to a certain extent. I think I maybe want to play this spring and summer to my own devices and see how I do handicap-wise, then think about lessons in the autumn.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar situation as you. I'm having a few lessons but not yet progressed to driving but will do in due course.

From the reviews and reading about them (and price) I'm very tempted by the Ben Ross HTX type R driver which you can get for less than £100 brand new. Been looking at 2nd hand and you can pick them up for around £50/60.

If you could keep your G15 (which I have too) you could test the 2 against each other and then decide which to keep.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
... so I'd like to hear your recommendations to fit the following criteria, if you'd be so kind:

• ideally no more than £100 (more than happy to go second hand, the last two were)

£100 will buy you a few lessons. The results (using any of your existing drivers) will be better than a new driver.

If you're determined to get something new, get fitted. In which case since you're in Watford a visit to the swing studio at Moor Park is a no-brainer.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you this time last year. Couldn't hit my driver at all and resulted in the 3 wood off every tee.

Decided enough was enough and went and got some lessons, was the best decision I have made. I was making loads of mistakes, over the top, negative angle of attack, open club face and many many more. No new driver would ever fix these issues. Driver is now the best club in my bag and have more confidence with this than any other club.

I seriously recommend spending the money on a few lessons- a new driver would be a waste as the same mistakes will still be there. But it is completely up to you. Driver recommendations- The Ping G range is great and you wont get much more forgiving than that. You can pick up the G30 for around 130, may get a little cheaper if lucky. As mentioned previously, the Benross clubs are easy to hit and very cheap for the quality of the club. I have tried the Nike Vapor driver and thought it was very very poor. The Callaway X2 hot is also a decent driver and you'd pick that up for £50/60

D

Deleted member 21258

Cobra Fly Z driver, is easy to hit and flys high and pretty cheap nowdays.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok ok, point taken guys. I guess I'll get myself a lesson.

Now begins the quest to find the best place to actually get lessons near me though. I haven't got the first clue really. I don't drive (can't drive on the road or the course!) so that narrows down the options.